Blood Clots High D-Dimer and Chest CT High Anxiety Please Help

Posted , 28 users are following.

Ok, so down a week on the celexa and nothing has seemingly changed..not feeling any better but not really surprising...What is surprsing, blood clots....It has been my main concern for about 4 days now and i can't seem to get over it like most stuff..I went to the er after a dull chest pain in my muscle after a day and it would hurt when i would deep breath...So of course right of bat they do an ekg...wait around doctor comes and said te ekg looked good, now he wants blood work cause of my family history of heart disease..blood work down, and then they come out and tell me i need a chest x-ray...at this point im really losing it...wait some more and they come and get me and say my d-dimer test was high and i need a CT Scan now...so we get all hooked up and back we go..my d dimer came back at around 308..not terrible but he said with my history he wanted it check for peace of mind...so we go back ct scan 5 minutes and the waiting game begins...2 hours later the doctor comes in and says, no clots everything came back fine and your free to go. No reason behind my d dimer being high nothing...so my anxiety subsides for a night til dr google comes out in me of course. Now i'm experiencing what i feel is leg pain, heart palpatations probably from the anxiety, and chest pain, but not when i deep breath...just looking if anyone has gone through anything similar? Would they be able to tell if i had any clots off of the blood work and the ct scan anywhere in my body? Do i have anything to stress about? Any advice is welcome...Thanks and i hope you guys have a good day!

2 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I am so sorry that you are going through so much - I do agree though to go through piece by piece to find out what is going on.  We all know when something isn't right with our bodies and I still feel that way, too.  Unfortunately it doesn't translate well to all these doctors.  I have have had two cat scans and nothing but a torn rotator cuff and a small hiatal hernia showed up.  Nothing that would cause my D-Dimer to be high.  I'm going to chalk it up that there really was something going on coming back from Africa but it's gone but my D-Dimer still stays high.  I was told that they would see anything they needed to see on the CT Scan.  I can't tell you to relax because I'm still anxious too but am going to move forward that there is nothing wrong.  You know they really haven't done a lot of testing with other diseases or just things that happen in your body to make your D-Dimer high - they only relate it to a DVT or a PE.  I think that any kind of inflammatory thing going on in your body can raise your D-dimer.  JMO.  Take care!

• Posted

So I am going through this as well.  Been having bad back and stomach pains. Assumed it was gallbladder like it has been in past.  Woke up the other morning with terrible shoulder blade pain on left side.  Finally decided to go to ER.  They ran all sorts of cardiac tests, blood work and a Chest X-ray.  My D-Dimer, which I had never had run before or had ever heard about cane back slightly elevated at 340.  Their range was to 230.  So it wasn’t extremely high, but high enough to warrant a ct scan.  That came back negative for any clots or lung/heart issues and they sent me on my way.   Went to my PCP today and she didn’t seem too concerned. All my blood work was great except that D-Dimer.  Now all I can do is worry.  She is retesting me again in a week and sending me for gallbladder ultrasound. But I totally forgot to ask for leg ultrasounds.  Did any of you ever go back to get more tests?  How are you all feeling now?  I can’t get this test result out of mind no matter how hard I try.   
  • Posted

Yes, I think I finally got an answer!  I talked to the cancer doctor yesterday (he's a friend also) and told him I was having a HIDA Scan next Thursday.  He asked me if I had had any kind of severe pain and that might be gallbladder and I said no - just burping, gas, constipation and back pain.  He said those are classic symptoms of a gallbladder that is either inflamed or going bad.  He said that definitely would explain my D-Dimer going up and down and when the symptoms get worse, that was why my D-Dimer was at 783.  So if the gallbladder is functioning low, I will have it taken out. If not, next a colonscopy.  If nothing there then I will do an endoscopy and see about the hiatal hernia I have that is pretty small.  I won't stop until I get to the bottom of it but I think my cancer doctor is on to something.  He said since the gallbladder involves the liver and it's by-products (bile) that he's not surprised to hear I could have a bad gallbladder.  Here's a quote from an article - However, an elevated D-dimer does not always indicate the presence of a clot because a number of other factors can cause an increased level. Elevated levels may be seen in conditions in which fibrin is formed and then broken down, such as recent surgery, trauma, infection, heart disease, and some cancers or conditions in which fibrin is not cleared normally such as liver disease.

• Posted

My son has these same symptoms and we have had 3 Er visits in the past 8 months all with high D-dimer level pain in his thigh and anxiety ! Have you found out anything? His doctor says there is no explanation for a high D-dimer and everything I read says different . I am really curious if your symptoms continued or if you figured anything out?

• Posted

Hello all,

Glad I’m not alone here! I was recently quite ill, headaches, nausea, fatigue, shortness of breath etc. All symptoms subsided now (all I got from doc was paracetamol and gaviscon) but shortness of breath continues. Went docs to test for asthma and she didn’t think this was the case but took bloods. Later that night I get a call to go a&e as my d-dimer level was 1826!! Ct scan &xray clear so no clots. But I’ve had no further  blood tests or any explanation for why it could have been so high. Should they have tested me again? Is this high level a concern? The doc at the hospital wasn’t concerned as I’m only young (26). But I’m not sure if this could be a sign of something worse and I’m concerned they’re not investigating such a high reading. Am I being crazy? 

• Posted

You are definitely not alone at all, we have all been through the same thing. I don't know if anyone one of us on this thread has gotten a definite answer to why our d-dimer test we're high or any kind of explanation. It's frustrating I know I've been there, and to this day I still have no clue why my levels were high. It is a very scary experience I tell you that, they basically told me it was my anxiety that was causing my symptoms and they didn't give me anything for anxiety told me to follow up with my Dr. And she won't prescribe anything she tells me to go see a psychiatrist and here in Michigan where I live we have a shortage and I can't get into to see one or they don't except my insurance. So you still have the shortness of breath? Has it gotten any better? And your Dr doesn't think that it's asthma right? Do you have anxiety at all? Cause those symptoms u described sounded like anxiety to me but I'm no Dr but from my own experience.

• Posted

I too have been to ER with similar symptoms and results from  my blood clot testing and CT scan and X-ray. I am currently I’m just always feeling tired, sleepy and fatigued and have random headaches. I think I need to  have more blood work done. They ran all sorts of tests and a blood clot test that came back “not negative”, which would mean positive, right? They did a CT on my chest area to look further to see if there’s anything and she didn’t find anything. What I can’t seem to stop thinking about is that if they said “not negative” to me means positive which has me wondering if I do have a blood clot elsewhere why wouldn’t they do further testing? 
  • Posted

I finally had my HIDA scan and it was normal.  So that's an ultrasound, two cat scans and the HIDA scan and nothing.  I'm not going to worry about it as I've been tested for everything.  All of us could have high d-dimers and that's just our base number.  

• Posted

So today I got told my D-Dimer was high and I'm nervous, I have bad anxiety and my fluttering heart my chest is in pain she didn't tell me the levels but she is worried so I see another doctor tomorrow for more test they did two CT scan no blood clot...

• Posted

Old post but I just got put of ER with the same exact story. Been short of breath,minor chest ache,light head tired and of course anxious. X-ray clear. D-dimer elevated. Ct scan with dye and no sign of clot. Sent me home with nothing to ease my anxiety and he said lungs are clear. Meanwhile I feel short of breath and a wreck. Oh well.
    • Posted

Hi Mary, trust me you are not alone at all I definitely know and understand what you are going through. It's so scary, did the Dr say why your d-dimer was elavated? So they didn't give you nothing for anxiety at all? That's the same exact thing with me, they gave me nothing and my primary still won't give me anything. I deal with anxiety on a daily basis and I basically just have to deal with it, it hasn't been an easy road but I will tell you it will get better. I've dealt with anxiety since I was a teen and I'm 33 now. I never found out why my d-dimer was elevated they gave me no explanation no nothing they sent me on my way. Have you been diagnosed with anxiety?

• Posted

Candie.. I wondered why and also wondered how a ct scan would check my chest but nowhere else and how clots can't Be anywhere else. I asked him but he seemed mad and short with me.. and just said there aren't and it's not uncommon for false positives on the test. So idk.. Wanted to ask for something for my nerves until I make a follow up but he put me off and I don't wanna ask so I'll just keep dealing. 

• Edited

I don't know if this will be extremely helpful, but I wanted to let you all know that you aren't alone. I also wanted you to know that you need to do your own research and be your own advocates. I have had 3 elevated d-dimer tests since November. I was initially with a dr I have had for over 10 years who did the d-dimer when he had no idea why I was short of breathe, a laundry list of symptoms and just not feeling myself. They did the CT, put me through all kinds of tests that ended up costing me $2k. When 3 mths went by and there was no explanation, I changed to my childrens family practitioner. He found I had an iron deficiency, b12 deficiency and sent me to a hematologist. The deficiencies helped a ton but didn't resolve everything. I have since been ruled out for Carpal Tunnel, MS, Lupus, Leukemia, Lyme Disease, Diabetes, Thyroid issues, etc etc etc and nothing. This past week the Hematologist told me that maybe I needed to speak to someone about a lifestyle change until I told him what I eat daily and what I do regularly (healthy eating, not sedentary but have issues still working out, etc). He then told me that it's possible I am "going through a bad patch" or quite possible that I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Yet neither of these things explains the d-dimer. He had no explanation to offer. 

Unfortunately this doesn't give me answers (and now $4k of bills) and didn't give me what I was looking for (something to do to help myself feel better) but my point here was to tell you that you must take control to advocate for yourself. If I hadn't decided to do this for myself, I wouldn't have found that I have vitamin deficiencies. Simple things my dr should have tested for, especially with the prior history I had with Vit D deficiency and previous thyroid issues with similar symptoms. Fight for yourself-who cares if they get upset. They don't have to deal with what you do daily! <3

• Edited

Hello Carrie how are you doing? I too I'm going through this with a elevated D-Dimer. My vitamin is low and I'm currently taking vitamin D3 2,000 daily. My level was a 23. My potassium was low just recently after discovered at emergency room visit for this weak, extremely fatigued,dizzy feeling. I think its due to vitamin D deficiency. I'm due for labs this week to recheck it. But I've two emergency visit in past week. The first one is when i was told my potassium was low. The second one i choose to go to a different hospital and that's when they ran different test and discovered my D-Dimer is extremely elevated in the thousands i believe.😩 CT Scan was negative for blood clots. My anxiety is getting worse because now I'm afraid i have a virus,or desease of some sort. Do i know exactly what your going through. All i can do is put my trust in God at this point!!!🙏🏼🛐🙌🏼

• Posted

im with you guys high d diner with no explanation

how high were both of yours if you dont mind me asking

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.