Blood Clots High D-Dimer and Chest CT High Anxiety Please Help

Posted , 28 users are following.

Ok, so down a week on the celexa and nothing has seemingly changed..not feeling any better but not really surprising...What is surprsing, blood clots....It has been my main concern for about 4 days now and i can't seem to get over it like most stuff..I went to the er after a dull chest pain in my muscle after a day and it would hurt when i would deep breath...So of course right of bat they do an ekg...wait around doctor comes and said te ekg looked good, now he wants blood work cause of my family history of heart disease..blood work down, and then they come out and tell me i need a chest x-ray...at this point im really losing it...wait some more and they come and get me and say my d-dimer test was high and i need a CT Scan now...so we get all hooked up and back we go..my d dimer came back at around 308..not terrible but he said with my history he wanted it check for peace of mind...so we go back ct scan 5 minutes and the waiting game begins...2 hours later the doctor comes in and says, no clots everything came back fine and your free to go. No reason behind my d dimer being high nothing...so my anxiety subsides for a night til dr google comes out in me of course. Now i'm experiencing what i feel is leg pain, heart palpatations probably from the anxiety, and chest pain, but not when i deep breath...just looking if anyone has gone through anything similar? Would they be able to tell if i had any clots off of the blood work and the ct scan anywhere in my body? Do i have anything to stress about? Any advice is welcome...Thanks and i hope you guys have a good day!

2 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

30 year old mother of 3, i have been struggling with heart skipping fluttering i mean it is all over the place. also had chest tightness pain in upper back and chest shortness of breath .i do have anxiety , iv gone to the ER im not sure how many times elevated d dimer 3 ct scan multiple x rays blood work every thing normal except slightly elevated d dimer. iv been struggling with this for a year know it has made me depressed scared i cry all the time my palapatations were so bad iv hit my chest in frustration i know that may sound weird but im desperate... im scared and i just want answers but i cant get them iv been to my cardiologist he proscribed me pro propranolol i feel it does not work i still have majorly scary palapatations were they skip i feel as if i cant catch my breath and it hard to breath.....also my heart palapatations seem to be worse when im at a standstill like sitting or standing still not so much when im walking or active although ill still feel a few does anyone have simalar symptoms .oh also i have heart burn and indigestion problems....

• Posted

Been having shortness of breath and left sided (under breast) chest pains, heart palpitations (randomly) for a few weeks, but only upon exertion. Finally went to emerg. ECG was normal, blood pressure normal, blood tests were normal except D-dimer. My level came back at 250, not sure of the measured unit. Chest xray clear, CT scan with contrast clear. Here i am its four AM and I'm not able to sleep. My chest is tight, and I'm light-headed.

So glad i found this forum, are there any updates?

My next step is a followup with my family doctor.

Thanks for listening !

• Posted

Hello My Name Is Anthony and i too suffer from anxiety and panic attacks so last night i was out giving my customers rides and i was only able too do too rides before my anxiety got the best of me. well i called the advice line and they told me too go too the er so i did so they did the normal test blood work xrays and so on. next thing you know they send me too do a CT scan because they said my d dimer test was elevated they didn't tell me my numbers so we go do CT scan then i come back and before they sent me home they did another blood test and my nurse said too make sure there wasn't no damage with my heart so i got release at 6:00 Am and my mind wasn't at ease so i went on google too look up d dimer and been freaking asking did the doc do their job thoroughly enough or am i just letting google trip me out any comments please so i know I'm not alone thank you

• Posted

I know a lot of these posts are quite old but i was just wondering if anyone ever got concrete answers as to why they were having chest pain with elevated D dimer levels?

I'm 39, female. About a week ago I started getting tightness in my chest, which seemed to start just under my lowest left rib. A couple nights ago I got pain in the left side of my neck which was worse when breathing in. I have had several similar experiences in the last 15 or so years and never got any answers so didn't hurry to A&E but contacted my GP the next morning. I had a score of blood tests and got a call from the GP saying my D-Dimer level is slightly over the highest range. GP seemed a bit perplexed and has advised another blood test in a week and for me to go to A&E if the symptoms return. Of course, now I am analysing every twinge and feeling and wondering if I'm a ticking time bomb for a clot.

Reading through these posts however, it seems elevated d-dimer levels isnt that uncommon. but i am really interested to know if anyone has had any answers?

Thank you in advance for any replies!

• Posted

hi i just got finished reading all of these i have had all the symptoms everyone has listed and elevated d dimer levels pain in my rib and neck as well, a million scans later drs saying its most likely panic/anxiety and i am going to see cardiologist for ultrasound soon also still nervous about possible blood clots and confused as to why levels were elevated but tests came back fine...

• Edited

Hi Angela,

What scans did you have?

I ended up going to A&E yesterday as the chest tightness and neck pain were lingering. They did an ecg, chest x-ray and bloods. Said d-dimer was still slightly high but the other tests came back normal so sent me home.

Have just read a case report on a website about a young woman who had similar symptoms and went to A&E multiple times where they did the same tests but it was only once the clot obstructed her breathing did they do a CT scan which showed clots in both of her lungs.

So having left A&E feeling mildly reassured I am not worrying they didn't do the chest CT to actually look for clots.

Planning to speak to my GP on Monday but the Dr's never seem that concerned so not expecting much from that.

• Posted

so glad I found this post!

I've been struggling with shortness of breath, tight chest and fatigue for months now. treated for asthma but no medications were helping my symptoms. A few days ago I spoke to the respiratory team at the hospital who wanted me to have a CT. since then my symptoms worsened and I was told by my doctor to go straight to A&E as I needed a CT that day as she strongly suspected I had a clot. Got to A&E, doctor told me he things I'm just run down, which annoyed me as I've had very persistent symptoms for a long time. He was reluctant to give me a CT as he said it had dangerous levels of radiation and instead wanted to check my D Dimer levels, and he said he was almost certain they would be negative and he would be sending me home. He called me back in to say they came back as high so I have to have the scan. I suffer from very bad anxiety anyway, so after hearing how against the scan he was due to the radiation levels, I was a nervous wreck. To make matters worse, the first scan wasn't clear so I immediately had to have a second one, 2 lots of radiation. My scan results came back clear and the doctor gave me a HUGE lecture on how I must change my lifestyle or I will be back in hospital with a stroke or other serious issues and he told me I was 'killing myself'. I am a busy mum of three, I don't work as I'm home with my children, yes I'm on the go and struggle getting a full night's sleep but who doesn't as a parent to young children?

forgot to mention my chest xray and ECGs were all clear but now I am an absolute wreck, still experiencing the breathing issues and tight chest and terrified I have a cancer developing somewhere that they haven't discovered, aswell as being terrified I'm going to someone give myself a stroke!

please can someone offer some advice, I am so emotional thinking my days are numbered due to this huge ordeal. I plan on going to my doctor in a couple of days when she's back with a list of all my concerns and requests for further testing so I can rule everything else out, aswell as a repeat test for the d dimers.

• Posted

hi! I am going through the same thing. any updates? how high was your d dimer?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.