blood clots starting at 7 weeks post op

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all,

I am now 10 weeks post hysterectomy with anterior and posterior repairs.  Three weeks ago, I had a blood clot.  Not a lot of blood but very painful to pee for one day.  Called doctor who said this was not uncommon 7 weeks post op and that recovery took 3 months.  All very well but it takes one day for bits of blood to stop and two days to get rid of pain and now this morning, for the 3rd week in a row, another blood clot.  Always these things happen on a weekend or holiday.

Everything else is fine - no more leaking, no more constipation, no more problems - except BLOOD which always makes me nervous.

Anyone else have this problem?

Nickie

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had same at 7weeks lots of clots and blood just out of blue. 3 dr said all ok then sawmy surgeon who said i had stitches come undone. Its scarey i thought i losted far to much blood and clots so large one filled both hands. It seemed so odd after soany weeks call or go back its not on . Take care x
    • Posted

Thank you so much for reply.

So what happened?  Did they have to do more surgery?  I am calling surgeon tomorrow morning because my clots are tiny but there is a little blood each time I pee all day.  By the next day, no blood but still a little sore to pee.  Day after all is well.  Please let me know what your surgeon did.  Did she have to fix undone stitches?

Nickie

• Posted

He corterised the area and said start again being very careful mo lifting and plenty of rest. Good luck. Let me know how you get on x
  • Posted

Hi Macy,

Thank you for letting me know.  I can live with that.  I was so scared I would need further surgery.  I have already rehired the kid I had to cut our 1/2 acres of grass and will continue to be very careful with everything else I do.  The odd thing is I hadn't done anything "recent" when the blod clots happened.  I have been cutting the grass weekly since week seven and nothing happened. Usually happened out of the blue after not doing much for a few days.

Strange things our bodies are.

Will let you know what happens.  I probably need to wait ages for an appointment with surgeon.  She only sees people 1 day a week - she has no regular patients.  She only deals with surgeries and of course the follow-ups.

Nickie

• Posted

It seems to me your problem started at 7 weeks when you started to cut your grass Half an acre is a huge plot and you really shouldn't be doing anything like that for months post op.You still should be resting as much as you possibly can at only ten weeks post op. Our bodies take a lot longer to heal than we are led to believe,particularly the internal stitches. So I'd get on your sofa with a book,tv or whatever your interest and rest,rest,rest as much as you can. Take care
    • Posted

Hi Froglet and Matron,

At my six weeks check-up, she said I could resume doing everything I used to do.  I explained about our rural setting and the size of the lawn; the weight of husband for whom I am primary care-giver and the physical part of my work;.  She said I was a fast healer and that none of that should be a problem for me.  She added that some patients at 6 weeks are still on their couch and I had already returned to work with no issues after four weeks - with her permission.  She added that full healing takes up to a year and progresses gradually but she did not foresee major issues for me.

Incidentally I had a friend who had the same surgery in her 40s (I am 71) who was back to doing everything she used to do after 2 weeks including looking after a 2 year grandchilld. She lived in the Arctic and had no one to help.

Anyhow, I am phoning the surgeon's office later this morning.  I will keep you all posted on what happens with that call.  Thanks very much for your input.  I will mention all this when I call.

Nickie

• Posted

As a Senior Nurse in Gynaecology that's certainly not the advice given to our patients, they rested and rarely had any complications.
    • Posted

Hi Matron,

I just spoke to the Surgeon.  She says of course this is not normal,  Given my stage of healing at 6 weeks, I should be completely healed.  It could be anything but since it happened once a week for 3 weeks albeit less severe each week, I should have it checked out.  It has nothing to do with physical activity, lifting or anything else and she wants me to carry on everything I have been doing to ensure that whatever happens doesn't stop and then recur once I go back to my normal life.

I have an appointment for September 10th.  If any more bleeding occurs before then, I need to go to the hospital where she spends 4 of 5 days - she only has Thursdays where she sees post-op patients in an office.  So we will see what happens in the next week.

I gather you are im Britain Matron.  I have had absolutely no complications at all until now - I had what is almost the normal leakage for a few weeks as well as constipation for a few weeks but that was it.  I did nothing - I could not even lift anything heavier than 10 lbs for 6 weeks and I followed those instructions to the letter (scale in the trunk of my car!).

So now I carry on, hope for the best and see her on the 10th.

Again, thanks for your input.

• Posted

Yes nickie I am in Britain where I know things can be different to other countries but I find it difficult to understand how your surgeon can be so sure the bleeding isn't from you overdoing things. She hasn't examined you yet. If this was a lady in my hospital she would be seen on the ward today. That's the NHS though. 
    • Posted

Hi Matron,

I was on the phone with her for a long time this morning and answered quite a lot of questions from her.  I live quite far away from the hospital.   I had already spoken to her the first time this happened 3 1/2 weeks ago.  At that time, I had a blood clot first void in the morning and the blood was in the urine for about 2 more voids .  It went away after that about lunch time  although passing urine was uncomfortable for the rest of the day.  The second time - last week - there was just a small amount of blood in the urine with pain for one void.  Yesterday, there was an even smaller amount of blood once when I voided and then not again but I thought I best call this time.

She did say any amount of blood needs to be investigated if it happens more than once post surgery but she didn't feel it was really urgent given that I am totally fine at all other times.  At no time was there ever any leakage of blood - no pads necessary and no blood in my pants.  She did say if there was any blood in the urine again between now and my appointment on the 10th, I should get a drive into the city to the hospital where they would examine the cause immediately.  She was quite adamant that I did not need to curtail any activities - in fact she wanted me to carry on everything that I do normally to ensure that if it was something I was doing, we woudl know.  I need to track my activities between now and when I see her next.  So far, she believes, as do I, that it has nothing to do with my level of activity so I am again doing as I was told to do by the surgeon.

I really do appreciate your feedback and I did pass it on to her.  She said that if it had been more serious, there would usually have at least been some residual blood in my underwear the first time and she did mention when I first spoke to her that if there was more bleeding that I should call her again - which I did today.  Apparently, I should have called last week but it was so little I didn't think it was necessary.  I got scolded for that.

I guess I just wait to see her or go to the hospital if there is any recurrence.  I have a ride lined up to go at a moment's notice - my retired neighbour who is always looking for something to do.  She was a great help during the 6 weeks when I had so many restrictions.

A little prayer please.

Many thanks.

Nickie

• Posted

nickie I hope you take heed of Froglet's advice. I also had to be cauterised but about 7 months following surgery but that wasn't because I'd overdone things. It's not normal for you to be bleeding at this stage and you definitely should not be passing clots. I hope your surgeon can see you and give you some answers.
    • Posted

Sorry Matron.  I forgot to mention that she did examine me at 4 weeks before my return to work and at six weeks when I was told I could resume normal activities.  So this will be my 3rd post op visit with the surgeon on the 10th.
  • Posted

Hi Nickie! How did your appointment go with the surgeon today? Hope all is well.

God Bless,

Trish

• Posted

Hi Trisha,

Thanks for asking - my mistake.  My appointment is one week from today - wishful thinking on my part.  So It's the 17th I see her.  So far nothing else has happened and I have done what she said.  Writing down everything I do every day is annoying but I am sure important if she asked me to do it.  She did say given what she had seen at weeks 4 and 6 that I should be totally healed.  She added that healing does continue for up to a year but although she was not the least concerned at the blood clot during week 7 - apparently she said this happens frequently due to residual blood being expelled - but it should not have happened the week after and then again this week.  So hopefully all goes well for the next week and it was just one of those things.  I would not look forward to going to the hospital if anything does - my marching orders so I will go if there is any more blood.

Thanks for your prayers.

Nickie

• Posted

Will keep you in my prayers.

I have not had bleeding since postop day 16 and I never had any clots. That would worry me too. 

I am 11 weeks postop today. Had postop checkup at 11 weeks and my doctor released me to do pelvic floor exercises, still requires me to go to the loo no more than 2-3 hours between, except at night now (thank goodness...that 2 hours at night was like having a baby again! lol). He also said no heavy lifting or repeated lifting...ever...to prevent further or repeat prolapse. 

Blessings!

Trish

• Posted

Thank you.  I will keep you up to date.  Another very busy day and all is still well.

Your prayers are appreciated.

Nickie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.