blood clots starting at 7 weeks post op

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all,

I am now 10 weeks post hysterectomy with anterior and posterior repairs.  Three weeks ago, I had a blood clot.  Not a lot of blood but very painful to pee for one day.  Called doctor who said this was not uncommon 7 weeks post op and that recovery took 3 months.  All very well but it takes one day for bits of blood to stop and two days to get rid of pain and now this morning, for the 3rd week in a row, another blood clot.  Always these things happen on a weekend or holiday.

Everything else is fine - no more leaking, no more constipation, no more problems - except BLOOD which always makes me nervous.

Anyone else have this problem?

Nickie

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Tricia, Matron, Maccy and Froglet,

I returned from my appointment with my surgeon a couple of hours ago - just in time to get lunch for hubby and me.

The surgeon sent me for an immediate ultra-sound down the hall at the hospital; also, some other test which was a little uncomfortable but bearable - they used a machine and bright lights but I have no idea what test - I forgot to ask!  And finally I returned to see her with a bunch of papers in an envelope.

There appears to be nothing wrong.  I was questioned on the total amount of blood loss - 2 cups, 3 cups etc.  It was in total about 1/4 to1/2 cup.  There was one large clot and no other blood the first time; a smaller clot the following week; another smaller one the next week and the final one last Sunday was just a few drops.  It did hurt a lot to pass these clots though so I have fingers and toes crossed that there is nothing left to pass.

A scope was done during surgery be she is going to be doing another one soon - the hospital will call to give me time and date.  She says she is doing this just to ensure there really is nothing wrong.  All the post surgery and today's tests are good.  She said I could be that 1 in 100 that has something mysterious happening to them which goes away on its own and we may never know why it happened.  She did not seem too concerned - much to my relief after she looked at the results of today's tests.  She seemed very concerned when I saw her the first time this morning.

Matron, I questioned her closely about activities.  She said she could see at my 6 week post-op check-up and tests that I was as totally healed as one can be at that stage and in fact was more healed than most people.  She said I was totally  ready then - and now - to resume my pre-op activities.  The grass is not an issue - it's good exercise; looking after hubby is fine - good for both of us.  Heavy housework - also good exercise.  Heavy lifting - OK as long as my muscles can handle it.  As long as everything else eg voiding and constipation and generally feeling OK is fine, she is happy.  She said "all" I had done was a hysterectomy with anterior and posterior repair" her words.  Mine ....THAT'S ALL!!!

If anything turns up in the scope, I will let you know but she seemed very doubtful anything would but "you can't be too careful" - her words.

Since she is the pre-eminent uro-gynacologist in not only my city but in most of the province of Ontario (the post populous in Canada), I will be taking her advice.  It's currently too hot to cut the grass but it's supposed to cool down next week so I will do it then. I will also have to start working my way back to my 4 mile a day walk starting tomorrow.  Funny, I feel a little drained today....

As a patient you don't know what's serious and what isn't.  I haven't any doctorate letters after my name!  Two of my best friends are nurses as well Matron and they too were concerned about the blood but strangely not about my activity level.  I can ony think it's a country to country way of handling post-op patients.  Again, I have no medical background so have no clue why the difference.

I want to thank you all for your support through all this. I sure feel mentally a lot better today than I have for the last 4 weeks  - to say the least.

Your support has been invaluable as always.

Take care all.

Nickie

• Posted

nickie that is really good news and you must be reassured that everything is ok. I know from experience and talking to other nurses at international conferences we do think differently and have some different policies and procedures but at the heart of everything our patient is out priority and yes in the UK we are probably more cautious than some other countries but I don't apologise for that. Better to be safe than sorry. I am really pleased though nickie that you are ok.
    • Posted

Hi Matron and Trisha,

Thank you so much for your replies - they are much appreciated.  As you say Matron, I guess things are different here but I am so happy all appears to be well.  It has been a very stressful 3 weeks - I am still vegetating on my couch since getting home - you would approve Matron - lol.

Hope all is well with both of you.

Nickie

• Posted

I hope you continue to feel better every day nickie. Take care 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.