blood in saliva

Posted , 4 users are following.

There has been bright red blood in my saliva on and off for the past 1 week.

Consulted a doctor and did a chest X-ray, turned out to be normal.

But now there is still blood in my saliva on and off, especially when I woke up.

There blood will only be blood when I spit my saliva and it will be clear after a while.

I am anxious, what should i do?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi. First off try not to panic. This could be a sign your gums could be bleeding which is often a sign of gum disease so maybe a visit to a dentist may be warranted.

• Posted

The doctor told me it might be some respiratory issues since my lungs x-ray are cleared. He told me to observe for 2-3 weeks to see if the bleeding persists

• Posted

Make an appt with your dentist as this is usually bleeding gums, sometimes when you have eaten something hard/crispy and can be sporadic.

• Posted

I dont think its gum issues. There were no bleeding during toothbrushing..

• Posted

Have you seen a dentist or oral hygienist, if the xrays are clear, the blood may be periodontitis related.

• Posted

I have made a dental appointment.

But there are no signs of blood during toothbrushing. I am not sure whether if the bleeding might come from my throat or somewhere else..

• Posted

Hi again. You haven't mentioned your age. I know i mentioned before that it could be bleeding gums but there could be a few causes. Your chest xray showed everything normal which is great but there are still a few possibilities. Please!!! I'm not trying to scare you but, cancer, heart disease or bleeding from somewhere else could all be potential culprits. Please get this further investigated as blood in your saliva is not normal. DON'T panic with what iv'e just told you as there are many things it could be but it needs further looking into. Good luck.

• Posted

Good idea. Ihope i didn't frighten you with those things i mentioned but they are potentials BUT it doesn't mean it will be any of those. Do you smoke by any chance?? Blood in saliva can be a symptom of lung cancer but you are to young for that even if you do smoke. Let me know how you go. I know it's easier said than done but try not to worry until you find out what's going on.

• Posted

Yes. I am a smoker

However I had a chest xray that day when I visited the doctor. There were nothing abnormal. I will see how it goes for the next 2 days..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.