Blood in spit panic

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey guys me again! im 22 years old and very active.

Basically the problem im having atm is this horrendous worry about the blood in my spit ive had maybe 3 times in the last few months. Ive seen a doctor about it she listened to my chest and back and felt my throat and told me all sounded well and not too worry. some time after i went to hospital when i coughed up a rather sizable amount of blood (had a cough) and the AnE attendant listeneed to my lungs and my back again and didnt refer me for an xray just said i sounded completely healthy and clear and her guess was it was it was my cough that caused it.

Since then ive been reffered to see an ENT about my post nasal drip but thats not for another whole month and i fear i will be completely consumed by this worry before then and it will be too late. 

Im just wandering if anyone else has had any experience like this? im just worried as ive never had an xray of my chest so im almost convincing myself ive got lung cancer..... On the other hand a nurse/doctor has never refferd me for one so? i havnt got any chest pains or any real shortness of breathe 

any help is good help smile thank you 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

It sounds like your health anxiety is acting up quite a bit. I know it's easier said than done but when you start to panic, find somewhere or just take a deep breath (when I'm at work, I go to the bathroom and pray and calm down) an remind yourself that it's just your anxiety that is generating all these thought of worst case scenarios. I would tell the doctor, I want an xray. Be assertive. I had to tell my doctor "I want a blood test(to see if it was hormones causing my anxiety), even if it's just for my peace of mind". She was sitting there telling me that it wasn't hormones but I had to just tell her that I want the test anyway. And I'm not an assertive person so I had to be strong. 

You don't have lung cancer and you are fine but I know that doesn't help. But at least remember that you are not alone in this anxiety. There are millions of people going through the exact same thing as you and me. You are gonna get through this. I promise. Good luck 

• Posted

This is a wonderful reply and I really appreciate the time you've taken to write to me! Means alot just to be acknowledged thank you so much !!! 
  • Posted

It could be gingevitis or gum disease or maybe you had a nose bleed that clotted and then came out through your mouth.

Richard

• Posted

I read that coughing up blood could be early signs of a cancer but I may be wrong in your case.  You have been checked out so unless you are worried then�
    • Posted

Alright mate read your first comment n agreed. Second comment has scared me a bit tho man rolleyes

• Posted

It may be nothing.  All I am doing is providing information which you can either act on or ignore.  Sorry if I alarmed you. all the best

Richard

• Posted

I had blood in my phlegm for a bit and I panicked to much and I didn't know what it was. It's all gone now that I stopped worrying 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.