Blood in urine

Posted , 10 users are following.

On my 69th birthday went to a Phillies game and while in the bathroom my urine was a dark chocolate color.This has happened to me previously in my life 3 other times.The first time I was in my young teens and was admitted to hospital and diagnosed with a infection and treated and it cleared up.The second and third times were within the last two years the last being a week ago at the game.The second time my urologist prescribed antibiotics and it cleared right away.I have an appointment sched.for my third instance but it cleared the next day on its own.Anyone with similar problems.I have bph and take a muscle relaxant which helps but still get up to go 3-4 times a night,during the day everything is normal.Thanks for any help.

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Jack!

I strongly recommend you see your urologist ASAP; While there may be an easy explanation (BPH, as you mentioned), you really should have an evaluation including something called a "cystoscopy" to evaluate your bladder to assure there is not something else that can be the cause.

-Dr L

• Posted

Any thoughts on why I bled? Several cystos turned up nothing. But absence of thinner has stopped the bleeding. Urologist suggested switching thinners may also stop bleeding. Have yet to see Cardio for his take.
    • Posted

Have you had upper tract imaging? (i.e. a test of the kidneys and ureters, generally via a test called a "CT Urogram"wink; sometimes that can show a cause.

If not, the issue often arises from the prostate (generally a non-cancerous issue such as an enlarged prostate)

• Posted

Thank you so much for taking my question! I have not had a Urogram but have an appointment upcoming with a new Urologist. My previous just passed away.

I will get a new perspective. Thanks again for your help.

• Posted

I was told that dark blood was old blood.
    • Posted

HI Derek,

I think that's more true with rectal bleeding. Blood from the bladder can range from brown to ice tea colored to bright red.

Jim

• Posted

Mine was in my semen for weeks after my first prostate biopsy. Any other bllod in my urine was red and probably froma burst blood vessels in my prostate.
    • Posted

Hi Derek,

I've had it all colors in my urine from several different causes. The recommended work up as the doc says is cystoscopy and cytology and perhaps other blood work. That said, Jack may have already had that done with his previous episodes.

Jim

Jim

• Posted

Do you know the size of your prostate?  I get bleeding all the time at 185cc.  I have had endless checks and most recently T3 MR and they found no cancer. and cycoscopy and they found no cancer.  If I drive for lond distances or ride a bike or have sex a bit to hard it bleeds.  GO see a doctor and find out

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.