Blood pressure

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello

I have my pre op on the 25 January with op booked for the 1 February. My problem will be my blood pressure. I have had it monitored by go, average blood pressure was 144/85, I am on a low dose of medication now. However even after seeing the gp today, it still not behaving. I am going to monitor it at home myself and keep records. I have calming hints from a previous op, but do you have any advice that you can share.

Thank you

Ann

2 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Ann

I went to my pre-op assessment and my blood pressure was higher than yours but I suffer from white coat hypertension, meaning I get stressed when having a medical and going to the doctors. They wanted me to take readings at home. I can't remember what my figures at home where but when I sent them to the hospital they weren't concerned. In fact after my THR my blood pressure was normal to low although that was probably due to the pain relief etc. Just before I went into the op and having the spinal block it was high but they continued. Not sure what to recommend, but that was my experience.

Hope all goes well

Sarah

• Posted

Hello Sarah,

Thanks for you reply, when I had my hysterectomy (2011), they said it was white coat, I went through 3 pre ops just to have it done. On the last one the pre op nurse did an ECG expecting to see hypertension, she saw nothing! But gp had put me pn medication by then and I also had it monitored back then. So thats when she said it would be ok to have the op.

Ann

• Posted

Similar. Went to Lloyd's pharmacy and brought for £15 a BP monitor, recordings about 10 per cent lower at home.

Dr understood and op went ahead very successful.

Good luck!

Mic

Exeter

Devon

• Posted

HI Mic

Thats what I am hoping for to this time round.

Ann

• Posted

Same happened to me a week before surgery and went on low dose of anti hypertensive. Gp said no problem and in the end anaethetist passed me as ok to have surgery 24hrs before due to go in.

No probs after as BP stayed low for weeks.

Guess it is common and more likely to stay up if your worked up by it all

i had already had op cancelled 7wks before with positive mrsa swab!

Stay chilled ...

• Posted

Hi Ann thinking of you as you prepare for the journey ahead. My blood pressure was also high and I was taking medication. Right up to the day of the hip replacement I thought it may be cancelled but thankfully the anesthesiologist has the last say and he ruled in favour of my operation X

• Posted

i had my pre op on the 8th and my blood pressure was very high and is not normally .

i have to monitor it twiice a day and it is up and down but i am very stressed and in a lot of pain which makes it higher .

i hope it doesnt stop my op going ahead .

good luck

where are you having it done ?

• Posted

I am having mine done in Harlow, where are you? Try taking your first one before you get out of bed in the morning and then last thing at night, it made a slight difference with me. However once I had my op, that night it was ok. Thats why I have had it looked at again before I have it done. Certain medication can make it high as well so maybe check that as well.

Good luck.

Let me know how you get on please

Ann

x

• Posted

i am having it done st The Horder in crowborough East Sussex

getting more and more scared now even though i have had the other done very successfully !

i just keep remembering the bad bits of recovery which is so silly lol

• Posted

Hi Doodle,

I understand, I have had wobbles but even the walking I have done today has been hard, I make myself do it. I put firmer boots on to take Milly out, struggled to do zip up, I do not wear lace shoes anymore, as cannot bend down to do them. Socks are tricky to. Even stepping up onto the kerb hurts, let alone getting on/off bus or train and its that, that keeps focus to have it done and get better.

I am constantly in pain, my groin is the worse but my thigh muscle is giving shooting and pulling pains lately too, as well as knee.

We both need to stay calm.

Take care

Ann

• Posted

I had exact problem at pre-op. I went to a walk in center to get re-tested. Nurse was a beautiful West Indian lady and we talked relaxing drunk on rum cocktails on the beach in whichever was our fave beach resort, she chose Jamaica, I chose Camps Bay, South Africa, closed our eyes for 2 minutes, she held my hand, hey presto!!! Blood pressure back to normal! Relax all will be well.

• Posted

ahh yes Corfu and a wee glass of red wine while having the perfect lunch

• Posted

The more you worry and focus on your blood pressure the higher will go. Yours is not really high anyway, they will not cancel your op for those figures.

• Posted

Hi,

That was an average with doing a 24 hour monitor, went back to see gp yesterday after being on medication and he too my blood pressure, it was high 147/95, he did again still on the high side. I am trying to stay calm and chilled but my tract record at pre ops are not good.

Ann

• Posted

As other people have said the white coat syndrome plays a big part. They are not as worried as you are, so please put it to the back of your mind and concentrate on getting ready for your op. Maybe cook and freeze food, making sure things are within easy reach as you will not be bending, twisting etc, making sure you are organized early will stop any last minute rushing and occupy your mind taking it away from your BP.

• Posted

I will do my best, have just had a lovely walk out with the dog and now its time to spiltz the house and next weekend make it post op friendly.

Ann

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.