Blood pressure and Anxiety

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am totally freaked out! I have had anxiety and panic attacks off and on for years. But I had it under control thru meds celexa and klonopin. I was going to gym four days a week and do two hour workout sessions. One hour cardio and one hour weights and floor work. But lately I have been going thru some medical tests because of a faint. I noticed when I go to the doctor my blood pressure is high. One time it was 190 over something but dropped down before I left to 155.. I was getting staples out of my head. I bought a blood pressure cuff to make sure I don't have true high blood pressure( yes I am health phobic too) I have kept a record for a couple of months and it's always 120 or under. Sometimes 103 over 66 . So I don't have true high blood pressure. It's white coat phobia. But I have to have a echocardiogram tomorrow and I am restless again. I am wondering is my extreme anxiety going to make this echocardiogram bad?!!! Or the spiking of blood pressure going up when scared is that going to show an abnormally.. Freaking out if anxiety and my blood pressure rising at times will make it bad!! Please reply ASAP as I go tomorrow on the 12 of Oct. Any knowledge will be helpful. I heard one side of your heart muscle can thicken from blood pressure going up and down. But my blood pressure is mostly normal? It's just when I'm scared with anxiety.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have white coat phobia and health anxiety too. The best thing to do honestly is drink some water while you're in the waiting area, be hydrated and have eaten before you get there. Take your headphones and listen to some music on low or do some breathing exercises while you wait. It works for me. Readings are a little high but not as high as they've been.

• Posted

I have this same problem I also bought my own blood pressure machine so I could desensitize. Lol it has totally helped so what I do is breath out more than I breath in and pretend I am taking my own. Mood pressure this totally helps. I have been at the doctors and had a reading as high as 169/100!! Since I started taking my own I am 117/75. Lol amazing what anxiety can do!
    • Posted

The doctors will be able to look at the results/picture that the electrocardiogram is giving out and be able to see if its something stress or anxiety related versus a heart issue etc.
    • Posted

As long as your doctor is aware of your anxiety induced high blood pressure then I would say no it won't mess with your test cause if it would then they would give you something To relax you. A lot of people get nervous and anxious especially when having medical tests done.

• Posted

I've had bad anxiety since about the 7th grade, now 22 and out of college. One thing i've realized is that anxiety can morph into many different things. Freshman year of college I had a severe anxiety attack in my Psychology class for no reason, causing tunnel vision and a heart rate of 155. When i've always had perfect blood pressure since I was a distance runner. Because of my anxiety I've also in a way devloped this slight heart palpatations (in highschool). My doctor perscribed me on Prozac, since then no crazy blood pressure readings, no tunnel vision. Yes I am a hydrocondriac too. 

• Posted

Hi I think I can help with this I have a post concerning on going anxiety bp issues. I just had an ecg at the hospital 2 months ago due to my bp anxiety issues. When they did my ecg my Bp was 188/100 pulse 150. So I was extremely anxious! They told me my results were normal.

I though the same as you that the anxiety would interfere with this apparently not. When I got home I took my bp it was 135/75. My anxiety drives my bp through the roof. To be honest it's scares the life out of me. They didn't think it was such a big deal. I hope this helps.

• Posted

what is the name of your thread???? Want to read it
    • Posted

Hi harleybabe its called ongoing anxiety that's hard to accept. There another one as well. It's my main concern with my anxiety I've been to the ER several times. I'm sure you're ecg will be fine. Mark.

• Posted

It's with in normal limits ! What does that mean?? Now I am freaked out over , The within normal limits.

• Posted

Hi I'd say within normal limits means it fine nothing to worry about. Regards Mark.

• Posted

But the tech said I might have to come in once a year . Like she seen something but not serious. I am thinking my anxiety high blood pressure caused my left part of my heart to be thicker. Even though my blood pressure is normal most of the time. She said she doesn't know because she has to do the measurements.!!! That's why I am freaked. She said everyone has variations . But mine was within the normal limits. Is she lying!! I'm sorry but that is got me uptight!

• Posted

Hi I still think you're fine I don't see why they would lie to you. They said within normal limits. If they were really concerned I think they would be admitting you into hospital. Like me with my anxiety I always think the worse!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.