Blood pressure meds

Posted , 5 users are following.

I feel like i am bothering my doctor. I have hbp now and last week they first tried toporol xl..it had way too many side effects and i could nit use it. Now they tried norvasc 2.5 generic. Its all good except i have bad heartburn nd i have gerd and im scared to tell dr. I have researched all the bp meds and it just seems each comes with its own set of troubles. Id love people to say good stuff but they tend to say scary stuff on side effects. Should i tell my dr. Should i wait till i just cant take the heartburn. This who bp thing is so new and scary and i ws a big time alternative drug person and now i cant use mostt of that stuff. This is a frustrating time finding the ine bo med tht agrees with your system. 

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Lisa, never feel that you are "bothering" your Dr.  That is what he is there for - he is being paid to treat you.

Norvasc (Amlodipine) can cause heartburn.  I, like many others using this site, have been unable to tolerate the side effects of Amlodipine but that doesn't mean to say that you will be the same.  One BP drug that does seems to cause less side effects for many people is Losartan Potassium.

Are you taking anything for the GERD, such as Gaviscon or Zantac - I believe the latter is better.  And, no, you certainly should wait for the heartburn to get to the point where you "just can't take it" - that could just cause further problems.

Try squeezing a frew drops of fresh lemon juice into warm water as a first drink of the day and even before a main meal - that can help with esophagus problems.  Also Manuka honey is excellent.

• Posted

Sorry, should read "certainly should NOT wait for the heartburn......."
    • Posted

Doctors are so busy today and barely want to even do callbacks.  I think they get frustrated as well and patients ith multiple ailments make it even harder. We need a place like i saw in florida where it was a store frontmobile  hospital kind of practice and that way maybe you can have more then one doctor work on your care plan. These bp meds cause other issues and not all drs care or are aware of them at all. So i get intimidated when they get annoyed and usually just get worse scenario. 
  • Posted

I had problems with heartburn also after starting with amlodipine.  I asked the pharmasict what I could do.   Her answer was certain fruits react with bp medications.   I stopped eating pineapple and raspberries  and  this seems better.  I just carry Rennes with me at all times
    • Posted

Did the heartburn calm down as you adjusted to the medicine? Wll these bp medicines have issues apparently so i want to really try. Calcium channel blockers are the safest for your ear health surprisingly and i already cant use the beta blockers so getting concerned id like to avoid the ace ones way too many people complaining about them. 
  • Posted

Yes it has calmed down a bit just have to be careful what I eat.   Stick to plain foods.  I hate taking them as up to the point of hip never even took painkillers I have always took the natural approach to things.  Have been on them since June and I think I feel better for it but still worry about long terms effects
  • Posted

hi there. You are not alone in feeling so confused and worried re G.P visits. It is often anightmare. I think there are so many of suffering with all the side effects and the B.P is not controlled anyway we ne d get an omterested medic on board to help us all. I felt so alone befor joining this site thinking it was my body and me causing all the problems  and now I know these ta lets give everyone here problems.We really as a group need to find some help.

amlopodine  do you drink a whole glass of water when taking it . and always have something like plain toast before you eat it ,or porridge if yo can bear it.

try reasing Dr. s. Manns book the hidden cause of high blood pressure. he is american, seen thousands of people like us. i mailed him yeserday but havnt had a reply.  maybe he could recommend a similar medic here who understands what drugs work best with what patients, 

keep calm, breathe deeply and think yourself into a good place where you would like to be..

jeenifer

• Posted

These bp meds they clash with a lot of other medicines which is stressful. If you need antibiotics and they give you an women issue its scary. I am on nirvasc i have ivery researched it niw aling with every bo medicine. Betas seem to be out for me, so they are excluded but otherwise cant even use otc creams or fungal oills to cure yeast. Norvasc said its ok just watch for swollen ankles but the rest like the ace ines you cant. So they give these to women and you have to pray? I find thus all scary.  Same goes with all the people noting tinnitus or eye stuff. Im surprised they havent made new medicines. 
  • Posted

Hello

I can sympatise with you .I have taken 2.5 mg bendoflumethazide and 2x25 mg atenolol daily for nearly 30 years .I am very pill phobic but don't remember any problems with my meds . .My BP is however now not well controlled so we are on that 'what now' .My GP says atenolol is an old drug  .Old doesn't necesssarily mean bad.  If you have heartburn I would speak to your doctor ,hoping you belong to a good one ,In my area they are a disaster . Good luck and hope you find a drug to control your BP with no side effects  Liz

• Posted

Turned out i had to stop the medicine at day 6. Somehow one of the receptors of the norvasc chose my spincter muscle and the gerd now feels horrific. I also was becoming rather depressed. Now i just need my esphogus to heal up and hopefully it will shortly. Was not aware that this medicine has a ling half life and can take uo to 9 days to leave your system. Im not sure what happens from here as i have a dr. Appointment tomorrow but i lost 18 lbs from this whole bo trial and error mess and i dont want to even take anything anymore. I could not take the beta blockers or the calcium channel blockers. I feel like im the only one who reacts so strongly to these medicines but having GERD makes taking any medicine more difficult as i have just learned.
    • Posted

Google: Manuka Honey and GERD. Many people get benefit from it but in my case it put my blood glucose up way to high.
    • Posted

Lisa, you are certainly not the only one who reacts badly to these BP drugs - I have been on 6 different ones in the last 18 months, all of them seriously reducing my quality of life.  Yes as Derek has suggested do try the Manuka honey, plus the lemon juice I mentioned in my first reply to you.  Another excellent food for the esophagus/stomach is 'live' yoghurt.

Derek, what a pity the Manuka increased your blood glucose levels - I do know someone who is diabetic but not affected by Manuka, but then I suppose everyone is different.

• Posted

I took it for about two months and then went for blood tests and my blood glucose was 14.6. Surprised my doctor asked how long I had been diabetic:-)
  • Posted

Hi Lisa,

Everyone here has made good suggestions, I just wanted to ask a couple questions about the situation:

- Do you take other medications?

- Do you drink caffeine or alcohol?

- Do you have any trouble sleeping (or were you while on the meds)?

The bottom line is your doctor is there to help you. If he/she does not, then you need a new doctor.

• Posted

Onky gerd medicine. Pepcid. My body just could not take the calcium channel blocker at all. But of course now im all anxious cause aside from the weird side effects it made me depressed. After i went off it the depression went away. Stomach and eaophogus is still healing. I looked in line seems all the bo can make you depressed. I hope not. Getting an echo in a week in half and doc said if that looks good then it can be anxiety doing it. My bp yo yos.never had any issues before this summer with bp. I just feel like im the o ky ine who gets bad reactiins and at first the dr. Was teying to dismiss them but then when i came in for the appointment he realized it was the meeicine but is baffeled why my body reacted so weird.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.