Blood pressure Spikes.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Does anyone experience high bp at certain times of the day as l do?

Am on Losarten 12.5 once a day. Was on Canderstarten 4.mg but got bad side effects so came off them.

Now finding bp soars around 4pm and 10pm every single day and also bp is never very stable most of the day either. Constant headaches, worsening eyesight etc are making me feel miserable. Am also on Bisoprolol for sinus tachycardia but slowly decreasing this, with Drs permission as side effects from this are a nightmare too. I don't know which way to turn sometimes as have tried lots of bp medication and all, so far, have given me side effects l can't cope with. Anyone out there with same or similar problem who can offer a solution?

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I haven't heard of losartan 12.5, it's probably 50 or 100 plus hydrochlorothiazide 12.5, same happens to me but without the hctz, there are days were my bp stays high for most part of the day, I'm trying to add the hctz to see how it works.

• Posted

Not tried htcz but think will ask Dr when l go on the 28th Sept.

Will see what she says as she knows l have so many reactions to most drugs. Am sure she thinks I'm a nightmare.

• Posted

Christine, there are dozens more BP meds to try!

How high does your BP go?

There are also dietary approaches to BP management, have you tried any of those?

Do you take any turmeric - or even eat a lot of Indian food that contains a lot of turmeric?  There is a "MAOI cheese" effect that can cause BP spikes.

• Posted

Have tried a lot of bp meds, all with unacceptable side affects.

I can't have curries turmeric or ANY spicey foods as 18 months ago had allergic reaction to chilli/paprika/spice! I'm a lost cause l think. My highest bp was 170/110. Goes up and down...

• Posted

Under the circumstances it's good news that you aren't eating turmeric!  But then still have to look elsewhere for cause.

What are you eating?  Have you read about the DASH "Mediterranean" diets?  Are you watching your salt?

Then there are specific foods that may lower BP directly.  I quite accidentally discovered two different dishes at my local Chinese restaurant that dropped my BP 20 points or more within hours.  One was eggplant.  Another was bok choi with black mushrooms (aka shiitake).  Of course BP would just go up again twelve to twenty-four hours later, but it can still be useful.  You can search for more info on these, there's somewhat more info on eggplant.  And I've found I can buy a Chinese eggplant (smaller, and you can eat the skin) at my local market, cut it up and microwave it for about three minutes, preserve the water that comes out as it has most of the active ingredient, mix in your favorite Chinese or Italian sauce, and that works fine.  Same with store-bought shiitake mushrooms.  What information there is on these suggests the eggplant has both ACE and calcium-channel ingredients, the shiitake may be another kind of calcium-channel effect.  There's also beets, and even arugula.  If you don't like the meds, you can certainly try these.  In any kind of normal quantities they should at least be safe enough.

• Posted

Well all those foods you recommend sound good but am so allergic to most things so will have to tread carefully.

I eat lots of fruit, berries, grapes, apples. Also salmon,haddock etc. Eat little cheese couple of eggs a week, wheetabix, plenty of veg.

So don't know where am going wrong in the food line. Oh yes l eat chicken, the odd lamb chop, no sausage, some bacon, tomatoes.

• Posted

Beetroot juice is said by many to reduce BP. I tried it but it tasted too earthy for me. It also might worry you with red tinged pee and poo.

My records are marked Bisoprolol intolerant. Not many people seem to tolerate it well. Is your digestion OK as stomach problems can set off your vagus nerve and mimic heart problems. 

• Posted

Yes my digestive system seems ok, bit of heartburn occasionally.

I actually eat beetroot on sandwiches but it's the pickled variety so not sure if it will do the same good as pure beetroot juice.

• Posted

2.5 mg is a miniscule doseage and can't do much for BP. Is there a 12.5 mg tablet or do you have to split a 25mg tablet.

BP varies throughout the day with late afternoon one of those times. What are your readings? As my consultant at the hypertension centre told me I'm not truly hypertensive and just have spikes so any medications  have more of a side effect on me. 

• Posted

My Losarten dosage is actually 12.5mg derek76.

My highest bp number is 170/110. Has been lower at times of course, just wish it could be more stable.

• Posted

Sorry I realised later that it was a typing error.

If you have regular 170/110 you should be on a much higher dose. What lows are you getting and are you getting 170/110 at home or just at the doctors? 

• Posted

My lows are usually 140/81 which for me is good.

I seriously cannot eat any foods with preservatives due to my allergies so think Chinese foods are well out for me, much as l loved them. And l cannot go on a higher dose of meds because thats when the problem with side effects start. Like l said, am a lost cause.

• Posted

My highs used to be much higher than yours and I used to get sudden drops like 52/48. If you are in the UK with your readings you are entitled to be referred to a hypertension referral centre. All major hospitals have them and your GP has probably never heard of them. They are usually part of the renal unit. Ask, no tell your GP you want to go to one .They can do all sorts of tests to find reasons for your fluctuating hypertension from a three day urine collection test for checking kidney function and kidney and head MRI scans. As my consultant says doctors are too busy to treat BP and cardiologists are very clever people who do things that I cannot do but they don't  understand blood pressure like I do.

I presume that you have had a 24 hour ambulatory monitor.  There are several procedures that can reduce BP without medication.

There is a procedure called renal denervation that has been around for several years where radio waves are used on the kidneys and it can reduce BP quite a bit. Another is a paper clip-size device called a Rox coupler that is inserted into an artery in the groin. It diverts blood to a nearby vein, relieving the strain on the artery and reducing the heart's workload. The  Lancet finds the device successfully works to stabilize blood pressure in patients..  

• Posted

Thanks for all that information Derek.

Go to Drs on 28th so will tell her about the hypertension unit and see if she knows anything and will she refere me. I had a 24 hour ambulatory monitor at.the very start of my finding out l had high bp, but not since. Didn't know about the Rox coupler. How come they don't offer it to all bp patients am wondering? Will also mention this to doc.

Thanks once again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.