Blood pressure up

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi I would like some advice. I have always been very fit and healthy and my blood presure has always been normal (despite me being significantly over weight). Last September I dicided it was time to lose weight and set about altering my lifestyle. I now exercise regularly (swimming) I eat healthy meals and have very little salt in my diet. I dont drink caffiene and never have done. I have lost almost 4 stones in weight and feel good.

The problem is, the more weight I loose the higher my blood presure becomes and nobody can explain why.  I am due to go back to see my gp on 21st where i will most likely be given tablets for this. I dont want to take tablets but it appears my healthy lifestyle is affecting my blood pressure in a negative way......... Im so confused and dont knw what to do

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Wow that's a real stumper. Not being a doctor I can't really offer advice. However you might want to give the smoothie I put in my 1st blog. It seems to be helping me and that recipe makes 1litre,  enough for 3 days. I make 1lt every 3 days and it really does taste ok. Good luck with it,  I know it's a worry but i'm sure it will work out for you in the end. 
  • Posted

Hi Chrissy

This is exactly what happened to me when I had to go on bp medication and with my brother as well - no matter what we did regarding diet and exercise bp was still high and gp said it would be foolish not to go on medication which we reluctantly did. Do you mind me asking what age you are.

• Posted

Im 51.

I dont understand how I was perfectly healthy before loosing weight despite the fact I didnt exercise much and lived on a diet of mostly "beige" coloured food laiden with salt and fat.

• Posted

No no no. The beetroot is one of the main ingredients. With the other stuff you can't taste it. Give it a try it's got to be worth that at least. Even if you still don't like it if it does the job it has to be worth a few mouthfulls.

• Posted

I was the same but had to give in to taking tablets I gave up going to the gym as well not sure whether I should have but like you the more weight I lost the higher my blood pressure
    • Posted

sod the tablets if off to the chippy lol.

Seriously though its really made me disheartened as ive never had any health problems in my life

• Posted

I was with a parachute regiment for 7 years and the fire brigade in London for 20 years. Never been overweight and always kept fit. Used to regularly cycle long distances and swam for my county...... imagine how I felt !!!!!! It seems to me if your BP is going to get you it's not fussy who it goes for eh!
    • Posted

I'm not sure what the top number was but the bottom number was 95

Prior to loosing weight it was usually 110/80

• Posted

stress can put it up alot, and then theres the menopause don.t know how old you are? and then theres white coat when its up at docs have you taken it at home? as long as it comes down its when it keeps up above 140/90 its a grey area  mines all over the place recently,  but it does come down sometimes makes you wonder if medication works really what do others think..

• Posted

I'm 51 with no signs of menopause yet

I don't suffer from stress and my doctor is lovely so I never worry about visiting him. I have an under active thyroid but I've had that for many years and have always had the same medication for it.

I'm gonna get a machine so I can check it at home more regularly 

• Posted

good idea hopefully you will find its fine when you take it at home fingers crossed
    • Posted

Chrissy, just to but in for a second. I bought a machine on ebay called the Prologic PL100 made by OMRON. Complete waste of money. Readings were worryingly high and inaccurate. It was slaughtered by which magazine. So I did some research on the web and checked which and the best buy I came up with was the KINETIK upper arm BP moniter. I bought it on the web from the CompleteCareShop for about £23 inc p+p. When it came I used it alongside the doctors one and it was 100% accurate. Definitely recommend it.
    • Posted

You should have returned it to Omron as not fit for purpose as it has a two year warranty.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.