Blood pressure up

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi I would like some advice. I have always been very fit and healthy and my blood presure has always been normal (despite me being significantly over weight). Last September I dicided it was time to lose weight and set about altering my lifestyle. I now exercise regularly (swimming) I eat healthy meals and have very little salt in my diet. I dont drink caffiene and never have done. I have lost almost 4 stones in weight and feel good.

The problem is, the more weight I loose the higher my blood presure becomes and nobody can explain why.  I am due to go back to see my gp on 21st where i will most likely be given tablets for this. I dont want to take tablets but it appears my healthy lifestyle is affecting my blood pressure in a negative way......... Im so confused and dont knw what to do

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

sorry about your problems Chrissy, how sickening for you to have done all the right things and BP raised. Doesn't seem fair does it. I can well understand how you feel having been there myself 2 years ago. i am 20 years older than you though. Mine was 160/93, i think, at a health check and the nurse really wound me up by saying "Well, you are 70 now" as if I was ready to be shunted into a care home!!  24 monitor showed similar numbers and the dr said I wouldn't be able to sort it by lifestyle. I'll show you, I thought and 2 months later having done all the right things the BP was still high and another dr at the practice said if I was her mother she would be jumping up and down insisting I took the meds. When she said that I obeyed! Hate taking pills.Ditsy dose [Losartan 2.5 mg]  and have had average readings of <125>/80 for a year or more.

Serious stress factor over Christmas/New Yr with husband seriously ill in hospital and the BP, when I had time to take it, went through the roof - readings of 160/100 on occasions! Regular check up due and I expect to have the dosage raised.cry

• Posted

Oh Jane that's bad after all you did right. I hope hubby in on the mend. 

I'm gonna resist the meds as far as possible. I will have to see how it goes x

• Posted

I don't think the medics like it when people resist taking meds but I quite understand how you feel. Do take care though, hypertension isn't called 'The silent Killer' for nothing. 

Personally I feel that drs like to control you and don't actually believe patients have the tenacity to stick to a life style change. Then again some - most probably- patients will take the tablets and continue with their lousy lifestyles,

• Posted

My doctor tells me that 40% of patients don't taked the meds prescribed.

My wife and I have more or less the same diet and lifestyle except that she swims 60/100 lengths three times a week for over tweny years. It has not  done anything for her weight that dare I say has increased but her BP is on the low side of normal.

• Posted

Derek I also swim either 64 or 100 lengths 2 or 3 times per week x
    • Posted

I remember a doctor on the radio many years ago claiming that regular swimming ( I don't remember how many lengths) should make you lose 2lbs a week. My wife gets on the scales every day and she is going up rather than down.

As a matter of fact one of the swimming instructors at the pool is very big indeed.

How long do you find that swimming costumes last? My wife needs a new one every three months despite caring for them as instructed as they fade and sag. We have not been able to get  a chlorine resistant one locally and ones she bought online just did not fit.

• Posted

Hi Derek. Your wife may be building muscle which weighs more than fat hence weight gain? I am envious of such a good exercise regime!
    • Posted

Well as I have lost a lot of weight my costumes get too big for me before they wear out. I bought 2 just 2 months ago but they are now way too big and need replacing x
    • Posted

Shhhh, don't let her see this. It is is flab not muscle:-)

I don't understand it. We eat the same diet and she eats smaller portins than I do.

• Posted

Lots of very sound advice for you to digest Chrissy. It is odd how your levels have increased after weight loss. Complete reversal of the "norm". There will be a good reason, or combination of reasons, why this has happened. As you have a good relationship with your GP I am sure he will offer solutions. However, here are a few to mull over:

Buy a home monitor and write down readings regularly and show GP.

Eat beetroot in any form

Avoid alcohol and excessive salt.

Reduce coffee & tea intake.

Avoid processed foods and sauces inc cook in sauces.

Eat almonds.

Exercise every day for at least 30 mins to a level that makes you raise heart rate.

Introduce garlic into meals.

You should see enough of a pattern emerge before your meeting at surgery on the 21st. Good luck!

• Posted

I can do all of the above except the beetroot and garlic. ... 

Or I could just go back to my unhealthy lifestyle that my blood pressure was clearly fond of

• Posted

I cut out sugar and salt in 1983 and seldom ate processed food always had plenty of walking as I do not drive. I stopped smoking in 1993 and suddenly in February 2000 my BP was 210/110. In November 1999 it had been checked and was OK.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.