blood pressure v high and heartrate elevated for past 2 days ,should I monitor linger or go to gp to

Posted , 9 users are following.

Checked bp etc yesterday and to my horror bp 156/116 bpm 153,it has stayed much the same fir 36 hours now varying a little each test but never anywhere near normal,never checked it before so scared it has been like this for ages and has done damage term silent killer freaking me out  and I have a phobia of medics ,advise please do I need er visit or do I monitor for days and then go ,thanks

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi it is possible that just the act of taking your BP/pulse is elevating it but that is quite high for what would seem to be a normal bp for you, how old are you and sex and are you overweight and do you have any other health issued, bit personal I know but it gives a clearer picture of your health. Yes I would definitely get an appointment with your primary carer.
    • Posted

Hi ,thanks ,female early 50s no known health issues,slightly overweight ,active non smoker non drinker,48 hours now of known  v high bp and heart rate ands its the fact no symptoms felt that scares most ,will monitor for another day or two and if no reduction in figures will go to doctor,thanks again for reply
  • Posted

Mar, I echo Alexandria's advice - see your GP tomorrow.  Meanwhile, take some deep breaths, drink plenty of water......and, most importantly, RELAX.

• Posted

Hi,thanks ,I do drink loads of water daily ,do deep breathing exercises so dont feel.I can do anything but face the dreaded medics,cheers Mar h
    • Posted

Try not to worry, it's high but there could be a reasonable explanation, you could be a vitamin deficiency, but its not the end of the world even if it is high and you need meds then so be it, there are some excellent medications to control high bp these days.

• Posted

Thanks,reading now 169/127 bpm 158 so its doctor for me tomorrow !! :
    • Posted

Yes worrying but hopefully soon sorted. Mine not good either ( 140 over 95 at age 67) but heading off to New Xealand for 7 weeks in 3 days so know can’t do much. GPS  don’t like changing meds I’ve discovered if can’t do follow up tests on urine etc within a couple of weeks. Fingers crossed and good luck!
    • Posted

Thanks,hopefully all will be sorted by medics in time,goodluck to.you too on your travels and getting bp sorted before you go,only have hurricane ophelia to deal with tomorrow before can venture to dr,safe travelling
    • Posted

It may well be higher there as many of have what thy call 'White coat hypertension'

Don't take any medication until you give it a chance to return to normal.

• Posted

I am same age as you and have been on Candesartan 8mg for a few years - a couple of weeks ago bp went up to 160/95 - GP raised Candesartan to 12 mg but bp not going down - worse fluid retention since increase in dosage - my chest feels tight - have been on higher dose for a week do have to have bloods retested tomorrow - she did suggest adding another tablet but said everyone complained about severe fluid retention - why would anyone want to add medication like that I think is entirely stupid - wondered if I am missing something. This was a young GP and she advised we do not change medication - just increase the dosage.
    • Posted

Hi molly

how did your visit and blood tests go? Did they say what was causing the fluid retention?

• Posted

That is not normal ......you should see a doctor to lower those numbers,....relax but go ASAP. Call and give the doctor's office your numbers...they will decide when you should come in. Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks all,didnt get to dr due to hurricane cant contact them til tomorrow,today systolic going mad between 129 and 167,diastolic between 103 and 117 and pulse between 124 and 154 feels so fast uncountable by finger,does anyone know if pulse rate and bp are connected or am I likely to be dealing with 2 issues,cheers Mar ps headache all day ........
    • Posted

Your BP and pulse can be a joint issue but not always, are you in Ireland then
    • Posted

Hi ,In ireland yes,so my drs appointment is for 31/10 the joys of it !!!!!!
    • Posted

If you told the surgery reception desk just how fast your pulse rate is and how high your BP is, especially that diastolic, then they are being very irresponsible not either booking you in for an earlier (immediate) appointment or advising you to go straight to A&E.  Do you not have a system in Ireland where if you ring at 8am in the morning for an emergency appointment, you can be seen that day?  You have mentioned having headache all day and that is not surprising considering your BP reading, in fact I'm surprised you aren't having dizzy spells as well.  If those readings are correct, - and the headache does appear to prove that they are - you are at risk of stroke/heart attack.  If it were me I would be calling an ambulance or hot footing it to A&E.  Far better to be sure than sorry.

• Posted

Reading posts in various groups it would seem that not all practices offer emergency or same day appointments. Our one does and has two lines but I can often get the engaged tone up to twenty times before getting a reply when using my land line for one number and my mobile for the other.

When I've had an 8.30 appointment for blood tests there is always a little queue of patients waiting for them to open to book same day appointments. In eleven years I've only twice failed to get a same day appointment. 

• Posted

I know, Derek, that's why I asked if it applied in Ireland.  I've been in the same position as you and waited for half an hour to get through on one occasion- still comforting to know the service is still available in lots of surgeries, especially in these days of NHS trials and tribulations!  

• Posted

I'm afraid that it will get worse as more doctors resign from the NHS or take early retirement. The influx of people into the country is putting too much of a strain on the service available. Last year our practice put up a sign saying they could not accept any new patients apart from children of existing patients.  

• Posted

Our surgery is bursting at the seams, too.  They just seem to have more and more different Doctor's appearing, many locums and many part-timers - never see the same doctor twice it seems.  Fed up with having to repeat myself but repeating everything is necessary because they rarely look back at the screen, and I don't need any more antibiotics that I'm allergic to after one of those landed me in hospital and isolated a couple of months ago with C.Diff.  I'd always thought that was a hospital-acquired infection but it was caused by giving me too long a course of antibiotics according to the hospital registrar - scary.

• Posted

A very old lady neighbour of ours had C.Diff that never seemed to be cured. Whenever she was admitted to hospital she was put in the private wing at NHS expense.
    • Posted

Small compensation for her especially if she caught C.Diff through an NHS blunder as I did - least they can do!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.