Blood test results - what does it mean?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi, I recently went to my doctors complaining of feeling over tired for the last few years but in particular the last few months. Depression, was and is something i've suffered for years. Before going to the doctors I started doing my own research on line (putting off going to my new docs) as i've known things just aren't right with my body for some time. All of my symptoms pointed to an underactive thyroid. I'm generally not one for self diagnosing so felt a bit embarrased to say to my doctor my symptoms pointed to an under active thyroid. Anyway she carried out some blood tests and I have the results. The doctor said i was borderline and should have tests once a year. I've read tests arent so accurate, something to do with T3/T4? I just hoped someone might help me understand as i know i dont feel right and the doc said diet would make no difference and theres nothing i can do. Surely not the case😕?

I'll just give test results which are above/below range, (i presume thats all thats needed).

SERUM TSH LEVEL 4.9mlU/L above range

TPO states above range (no result figures given)

MEAN CELL HAEMOGLOBIN LEVEL 32.9pg

NEUTROPHIL COUNT 1.9 10*9/L below range

SERUM TOTAL BILIRUBIN LEVEL 37 umol/L above range

Any advice would be very much appreciated please, I'm sick of feeling like I do.

1 like, 114 replies

114 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Nicci

I am just wondering what the actual figure for the TPO was?

It sounds as though you have a copy of your blood results.

I wondered what the range for the TPO's is in the lab where they were tested. 

• Posted

Hi Karen, thank you for your message. I think the results the doctor has given don't give the actual figure on this particular test for some strange reason (all my other results do). It just states 'above range' in the "normality" column. There are some figures written under the "results" column as follows;

263 ku/L [0.0 - 34.0]

Above high reference limit

Thyroid peroxisomal (TPO) antibody Positive

However am i right in thinking this just states what range is classed as normal rather than the actual result as all my other results show clearly both my result and the normal range side by side.

• Posted

Hi Nicci

From my understanding of antibodies there should not be any present at all. Their presence in any degree indicates auto immune disease of the thyroid. Sorry I cannot explain it more scientifically.

• Posted

Your tpo is positive .....nag them again and ask to see the endocrinologist........

That means as said before auto immune

• Posted

Are you in the UK.....if so ask your docs for patient access you can see all your notes then :-)

• Posted

Hi Karen, thanks again for your response. Can i just clarify, do you mean that my TPO being above range suggests auto immune? Dont worry i wont hold you to it! Just trying to make sense of it all.
    • Posted

Hi Stephanie, sorry I've just seen your response. So you suggest auto immune too. I wonder why my doctor was so keen to fob me off...

It certainly woukd make sense to how i feel.

Thank you.

• Posted

Hi Stephanie, i got the blood results from the doctor which i went back and asked for. There are around 5 or 6 pages of results, ive just listed those on this forum which are abnormal, hoping someone on here can understand better than me! The doctor was really dismissive and just said I was "borderline" and to come back in a year for more blood tests. I guess i need to go back then and say i'm not happy to accept waiting 1 year.

Thank you for your advice.

• Posted

They they normally do that fob you off and wait for more symptoms that everyone has let your thyroid be attacked then do something about it......:-(

Hair loss.

Fatigue

Aches and Pains that you put down to age

Weight Gain

Carpul tunnel syndrome ....pins and needles in thumb forefinger and middle fingers

Night time mostly when asleep or driving and reading

Brain Fog ......

The list is endless and are all symptoms of hypothyroidism.......it's only when you look at the list of things affected you realise you've had most of them.

Go back and tell them your not happy to wait for it to be destroyed before the act ......

Getting better isn't an overnight thing it's gradual as we've had the symptoms for a while ....

• Posted

Hi Stephanie,

Reading the symptoms online I certainly feel I have many already. You're right though I shouldnt wait for thibgs to get any worse. I've felt rubbish for long enough.

Once again thank you for sparing me the time to help out. 😊

• Posted

Hi Nicci

From what I have gathered off this forum from other people yes.I understand that the presence of ANY thyroid antibodies is abnormal, that they should not be there in the frst place and therefore indicative of an auto immune disease of the thyroid and also this may attack other parts of the body. That is my understanding anyway. I stand to be corrected. I see that Shelly and Barnara have given bvery informative answers to the questions about antibodies. I am not an expert it is just info picked up as I have gone along. Hope that helps.

• Posted

whoops typos. Meant to write Barbara not barmara. Sorry Barbara.

• Posted

I've sent you a pm with the name of a useful source. Search 'izabella root cause'.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.