Blood test results - what does it mean?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi, I recently went to my doctors complaining of feeling over tired for the last few years but in particular the last few months. Depression, was and is something i've suffered for years. Before going to the doctors I started doing my own research on line (putting off going to my new docs) as i've known things just aren't right with my body for some time. All of my symptoms pointed to an underactive thyroid. I'm generally not one for self diagnosing so felt a bit embarrased to say to my doctor my symptoms pointed to an under active thyroid. Anyway she carried out some blood tests and I have the results. The doctor said i was borderline and should have tests once a year. I've read tests arent so accurate, something to do with T3/T4? I just hoped someone might help me understand as i know i dont feel right and the doc said diet would make no difference and theres nothing i can do. Surely not the case😕?

I'll just give test results which are above/below range, (i presume thats all thats needed).

SERUM TSH LEVEL 4.9mlU/L above range

TPO states above range (no result figures given)

MEAN CELL HAEMOGLOBIN LEVEL 32.9pg

NEUTROPHIL COUNT 1.9 10*9/L below range

SERUM TOTAL BILIRUBIN LEVEL 37 umol/L above range

Any advice would be very much appreciated please, I'm sick of feeling like I do.

1 like, 114 replies

114 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Nicci

I was borderline...my TSH was 6....I felt wretched...apparently everything else was fine. Id had deppression on and off for years..

My symotoms were,major fatigue,not just tired but terrible lethargy,aching,tearful,restlessness.

My Gp prescribed me levythyroxine...a féw months ago...at first i was up and down,but now,8 weeks later i can see such a difference,

My last blood tests showed my THS as 4...

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi Lisa,

Thank you for your advise. I'm really nervous about going back because even discussing the depression alone the doctor began to glaze over....im definitely going to look into levythyroxine.

I hope you continue to feel better. 😊

• Posted

Hi Nicci

I fully understand how you feel. Is it possible to PM me?

I think that I am having a flair up again and don't know what to do. I live in the UK so know the sittuation re thyroid issues. 

• Posted

Hello Nicci:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA.  I have Hashimoto's thyroid disease since 1987.

I can help you understand the lab work.

TSH should be 0.45 to 4.50 and whn it is on the low end of the scale it menas Hyper or TOO MUCH and high end means HYPO or TOO LITTLE.

TPOA is a special blood test for autoimmune antibodies.  It can diagnose Hashimoto's which is what I have.  Normal TPOA is 0 -9 and should be close to ZERO!  If it is above the number 10 or higher it needs to be investigated as many of us have it.

Antibodies are normally "friendly" but due to certain conditions they turn against our bodies and attack the thyroid and it takes years to damage the gland and render it useless.

Some reasons are, family history of it, Epstein-Barr virus, bad lifestyle drugs or stress or abuse. Other medical problem like Diabetes and Lupus and certain cancers.

Mean cell Hemoglobin should be 27 -33.  I am using USA Values since you did not give us a reference range or scale.  This is okay.

Neutrophils count is part of the White blood cells count (it is one component of it),  and many of us with thyroid disease are low in this.  Mine are 7.6. This means immune system problems and goes along with autoimmune problems.

Serum Bilirubin has to do with your liver function.  In some people they can get yellow in color and they call it Jaundice.   You should be 0.1 to 2.0 and you are high there.  Do you drink alcohol?  It can also be a problem of a fatty liver.

Hypothyroid symptoms are, feeling cold and tired all the time, hair loss, weight gain, bruising, brittle nails and dry skin, low heart rate, low body temp, constipation, feeling depressed, headaches and muscle aches.

So ask the doctor for a T3 & T4 and FT3 tests. Also TGab antibodies level, and blood cortisol level.

It sounds like you have the early phases of autoimmune disease and you will need thyroid medication.

Any questions just ask,

Shelly

• Posted

Shelly

Please could you explain what the anti nuclear antibodies are and if they should be present in the blood or not?

Are they the same as thyroid antibodies?

Thanks

• Posted

Hello Cindy:

Anti-nuclear antibodies are to check the immune system for Lupus & autoimmune diseases like HASHIMOTO'S thyroid disease. 

Normally they are friendly antibodies and if the level goes up autoimmune problems can be diagnosed.  Certain things can activate the antibodies like Gluten and Epstein -Barr (EPV) virus, major stress on the body and other medical conditions like Diabetes and Lupus, can make the antibodies rise.

Shelly

• Posted

Shelly 

That is really scary. Who would think thqat gluten could do such damage.

It should be banned.

Thank you for your reply.

• Posted

Hello Cindy:

TPOA and Tgab pick up thyroid antibodies more and the ANA ones can pick up autoimmune problems besides thyroid.  Gluten has been around a long while and recent studies now show it causes flare ups in people with autoimmune diseases.  I agree it should be banned.

Shelly

• Posted

Hi Nicci, I notice your TSH is above range. This would indicate hypothyroidism. Normerly to be classed as borderline in UK one has to have raised TSH and normal T4 results. However you don't have a T4 result so how your doctor came to that conclusion I'm not sure.

Additionally your TPO antibodies are raised which indicates your immune system is attacking your thyroid.

The research papers I've read say that people with 'borderline' hypothyroidism usually go on to develop full hypothyroidism where the T4 and T3 results are too low.

So my view, based on the results you've supplied, is that you have hypothyroidism.

This though is immaterial, the main question to be answered is how to get you feeling better. The UK's NICE guidelines allow for the prescribing of a low dose (25mcg) of thyroxine in borderline hypothyroidism cases. So I would suggest:

Look up hypothyroid symptoms, print them off, mark off the ones you have, then take the list and show it to your doctor and say you understand the NICE guidelines allow for a therapeutic dose of 25mcg thyroxine in borderline hypothyroidism and you would like to try it.

If your doctor won't prescribe it ask why not and argue that you feel rough and you wondered whether it would help.

If your doctor still won't prescribe it. Try another doctor at the same surgery.

Keep trying different doctors until you get a doctor who will prescribe thyroxine. By the way, don't be alarmed by the things you read about thyroxine not working as it does work in 85% of cases. For someone who has caught it early, like you have, you have a good chance of feeling much better on thyroxine. (Note: I'm not medically qualified, my knowledge comes from having hypothyroidism for the last 34 years.)

Many hypothyroid people are low in a number of key vitamins and minerals. So it's worth checking vitamin B12 and folate, Ferritin, iron and % iron saturation, vitamin D. All of these are checked by a blood test. If any of these are low you will feel rubbish. Best wishes and good luck with the doc!

• Posted

I've thought of a few more things that might help. Try giving up eating gluten or at least minimise it. Also I've read that 200mcg selenium is necessary for a healthy immune system.
    • Posted

Nicci, As you've caught it early you might be able to reverse the autoimmune attack. Essential things are: go gluten free, eat unprocessed foods and vegetables, get multivitamin (make sure it contains selenium), check iron, ferritin (needs to be 70+), vitamins B12 and D, magnesium, potassium and calcium. These are the things I can remember.
    • Posted

Hello Barbara

I just wondered if you knew if someone who is borderline hyper with a low TSH and raised TPOaS be considered at risk of developing a full blown hyperthyroidism?

I am puzzled as to what the treatment is for someone who is thought to have a fluctuating thyroiditis!

Thanks in advance .

Thanks

• Posted

Hi karen, from what I've heard on this forum, hashimotos at the beginning can have swings between hyper and hypo. This didn't happen with me, mine was just a slow stealthy decline. Also nodules on the thyroid can produce thyroxine. Again, not my area of knowledge. Hopefully someone else can provide an explanation.
    • Posted

Thanks again Barbara. How do drs know what to treat? In other words do they go for treating the signs and symptoms of hypo or hyper? It is all strange to me. How can drs tell if nodules produce throxine?

Is it best to have the thyroid removed then go hypo and be treated with thyroxine etx.

Can carbimazole be obtained without a prescription I wonder?

Does a private GP require ermission from an ando to prescribe NDT?

It is the lack of control over ones life that I cannot come to terms with in all this sorry mess.

Why is there so much arguing, differences of opinion between endos and endos and gP's?

Is this just peculiar to endocrinology/thyroid issues or common to other conditions?

I just feel like a pawn in a game of chess now. No say or control left in my life. Ijust wondered if anyone else with a thyroid problem ever felt the same way. Sorry about these profound questions.

Thanks to everyone for their patience and dedication.

• Posted

With all the problems I am having with hypothyroidism I can't see how this can be preferable. Problems being: not converting T4 to T3 very well, being intolerant to all the synthetic thyroid medications, extensive food allergies and intolerances, intermittent anaemia...
    • Posted

I agree with you.

This thyroid condition is horrendous.

Do you know if there is any danger of atrial fibrillaion to people who are hypo or is it jus those with a hyperthyroidism I wonder.

]Like yourself I have various food and medication allergies etc.

• Posted

Doctors prefer it because from their viewpoint it's easier to treat: patient gets a blood test and takes thyroxine to get the bloods in range. Unfortunately this doesn't work very well for about 15% of patients. I hsve a frienfwho has an over active thyroid and refused radioactive iodine treatment and was treated with carbimazole. This worked, but intermittently the overactive thyroid condition returns and she has to treat it again. I think nodules require a different approach.
    • Posted

The point is, that in many cases hyperthyroidism can be successfully treated.
    • Posted

You said that nodules require a different approach. Sorry but I am unsure what you mean by that.  Thanks
    • Posted

Hi Barbara

​I have just finished listening to a podcast on the relevence of soy, wheat, caffeine on thyroid hormones and how these foodstuffs can inhibit thyroid function. 

I could send you the link by private e mail.

• Posted

I'm not the best ferritin to ask about nidules as I never hsd sny.
    • Posted

Sorry, I'm not the best person to ask about nodules as I never had any.
    • Posted

So if the nodules produce thyroxine what happens? What would u expect the signs and sym[ptoms to be? Thanks .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.