Blood test results - what does it mean?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi, I recently went to my doctors complaining of feeling over tired for the last few years but in particular the last few months. Depression, was and is something i've suffered for years. Before going to the doctors I started doing my own research on line (putting off going to my new docs) as i've known things just aren't right with my body for some time. All of my symptoms pointed to an underactive thyroid. I'm generally not one for self diagnosing so felt a bit embarrased to say to my doctor my symptoms pointed to an under active thyroid. Anyway she carried out some blood tests and I have the results. The doctor said i was borderline and should have tests once a year. I've read tests arent so accurate, something to do with T3/T4? I just hoped someone might help me understand as i know i dont feel right and the doc said diet would make no difference and theres nothing i can do. Surely not the case😕?

I'll just give test results which are above/below range, (i presume thats all thats needed).

SERUM TSH LEVEL 4.9mlU/L above range

TPO states above range (no result figures given)

MEAN CELL HAEMOGLOBIN LEVEL 32.9pg

NEUTROPHIL COUNT 1.9 10*9/L below range

SERUM TOTAL BILIRUBIN LEVEL 37 umol/L above range

Any advice would be very much appreciated please, I'm sick of feeling like I do.

1 like, 114 replies

114 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi everyone,

Thank you for all of your advise. I apologise to those I hadn't responded to, I'd managed to miss a couple of responses. So thank you once again.

Shelly, thank you very much for your detailed response. I hope you don't mind but in reply, can I ask something regarding my results?

I had only posted results which were 'abnormal' (see my first post). So I do have result for;

SERUM FREE TS4 Level - 14.7 pmol/L  (I presume this is the T4 you refer to). This appears to be in the normal range. 

So with my TPO above range but my TS4 normal, and high bilirubin level, does this mean there is still cause for concern or am I borderline or fine? 

I'm so confused!

Also after reading about the effects of gluten, I've tried my best to cut it out for the last few days and I don't know whether this is coincidence, but I suffer what I can only describe as 'inner' tremors  and light headed where I suddenly feel like I need to eat but feel very weak and can barely stand at times- i belive one of the possible symptoms of auto immune? Anyway, this week my tremors have become more severe. I've suffered these tremors for years but sometimes worse than others at different times. I just thought i should mention this in case it is relevant. I hoped cutting gluten out would have the opposite effect.... 

• Posted

Hi nicci

Don't worry.

I have PMd you a link on Gluten Withdrawal . Gluten cntains wheat or is wheat. Wheat contains opiates. No I did not know either until I tried to go gluten free and felt extremely ill and disconnected from everything. A nurse told me about Gluten Wiithdrrawal Syndrome. She was actually training to be a nutritionist  Anyway I digress sorry. She sourred me on to research the subject and I found that everything I was experiencing was down to the withdrawal of gluten/wheat.

The more you go into it the more you will find that gluten free products are not gluten free.

This s due to cross contamination with wheat and other products during manufacturing and also even when growing.

It is best to google this yourself to get the whole picture.

A lot of products also contain corn and soy.

It is worth looking at  these as they can also cause immune diseases.

People who have gone gluten free generally feel ill for a while then it setttles down as the body adjusts.

Apparently more and more gluten is used nowadays in profucts because it is a cheap filler and binder. Personally I feel it should be banned.

• Posted

Hi Cindy,

Thank you so much for your reply. It had crossed my mind that it might be a withdrawal of sorts, but you're right, I certainly had no idea about opiates. It makes total sense why my partner is always sooo hungry after pasta, I always want to eat a whole load of bread! I don't suppose you know much about sourdough do you? I read it's much lower in gluten....actually thats probably for another thread.

Thank you once again, I'm going to be spending a good amount of time reading up on this.

confused

• Posted

Look out for 'Gram' flour - it is gluten free. I made a pancake of sorts using 1oz and some water. Apparently it is also used as a vegan egg substitute, which I found useful as I'm allergic to egg.
    • Posted

Barbara SOmeone was asking about sourdough in relation to gluten intolerance. Are u able to tolerate this? Has it got wheat or soy in it?Thanks
    • Posted

That's very useful to know thanks😊 i'm totally confused by anything containing wheat now, does anything which just states 'wheat' on the list of ingredients need to be avoided as it'll mean it contains gluten? (Unless specifically stating 'gram wheat' for example?

Thank you

• Posted

Nicci, the standard way of labelling in the UK, is to highlight in the ingredients list any goods which are known allergens. Wheat does contain gluten and will be highlighted.

The following may help... All grains can be ground down into fine pieces to make flour. Not all grains contain gluten, so not all flours contain gluten. Oats contain gluten but it's possible to buy gluten free oats - I got mine from Tesco.

• Posted

Hello Nicci:

TPOA or TPO is a special test for antibodies which should be near  0 (ZERO) and if it goes over 9 they should look for any autoimmune disease or the early stages of Hashimotos and if needed repeat it in 3 months just to be sure because if it is elevated you should be on thyroid medication to help control it.

Bilirubin has to do with the liver and the way it works. It can be from meds you are on or another medical condition.  It can be from a liver that gets fat deposits in it.  You should be in a normal range and not high or elevated so it would be wise to check on why is above range. It could have to do with the thyroid autoune also.

Have your blood glucose checked which can make you dizzy and shake and feel hungry.  Other symptoms are increased thirst headaches, and frquent urination.

Autoimmune thyroid can make you feel jittery also, and make you shake have tremors, and make weight gain.  It can also  you very sleepy and make muscle pains.

Your FT4 is okay.

Gluten is a know thyroid attacker and if you have antibodies in your blood avoid Gluten as it can make things flare-up and get worse.

Any questions just ask

Shelly

• Posted

I've just looked a recipe up and it has both flour and yeast in it. So it depends which flour is used whether it has gluten in and how much.
    • Posted

Appreciate your response. What is the treatment for auto-immune thyroid disease? How is the Hashimotos diagnosed and treated?  
    • Posted

Cindy:

Autoimmune is picked up by many different blood work tests and symptoms and family history. TPOA, TGab and ESR all blood tests.

It is treated by thyroid hormone medication.

Shelly

• Posted

Yes I was referring to sourdough. The recipe I saw had flour (i.e. gluten) and yeast in it.
  • Posted

sorry, i should also add i don't appear to have T4 results (unless they may have a different name?)
    • Posted

dear me i'm not doing very well here.....i meant i don't have T3 results.
    • Posted

I have also just seen a link between hashimotos and psoarisis, a symptom I hadn't been aware of, i have also had mild psoarisis on my arms for years. 
    • Posted

Nicci I have sent you a link to gluten withdrawal signs and symptoms and also on sourdough in relation to wheat and gluten but they are waiting to be modded. Perjhaps you could google thewse links as I am unsure if the moderator will pass on the links to you. As far as I can mae out there is wheat in sourdough as well as some gluten. 

It appears that gluten intolerance and psorias are linked in some people.

• Posted

Hello Nicci

You can see Psoarsis with amune thyroid disease and sometimes in Hypothyroid in general.  So this is true.

Shelly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.