Blood test results - what does it mean?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi, I recently went to my doctors complaining of feeling over tired for the last few years but in particular the last few months. Depression, was and is something i've suffered for years. Before going to the doctors I started doing my own research on line (putting off going to my new docs) as i've known things just aren't right with my body for some time. All of my symptoms pointed to an underactive thyroid. I'm generally not one for self diagnosing so felt a bit embarrased to say to my doctor my symptoms pointed to an under active thyroid. Anyway she carried out some blood tests and I have the results. The doctor said i was borderline and should have tests once a year. I've read tests arent so accurate, something to do with T3/T4? I just hoped someone might help me understand as i know i dont feel right and the doc said diet would make no difference and theres nothing i can do. Surely not the case😕?

I'll just give test results which are above/below range, (i presume thats all thats needed).

SERUM TSH LEVEL 4.9mlU/L above range

TPO states above range (no result figures given)

MEAN CELL HAEMOGLOBIN LEVEL 32.9pg

NEUTROPHIL COUNT 1.9 10*9/L below range

SERUM TOTAL BILIRUBIN LEVEL 37 umol/L above range

Any advice would be very much appreciated please, I'm sick of feeling like I do.

1 like, 114 replies

114 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi everyone,

Just looking for a bit of further info please re my blood test;

SERUM TSH LEVEL 4.9mlU/L above range

TPO states above range (no result figures given)

MEAN CELL HAEMOGLOBIN LEVEL 32.9pg

NEUTROPHIL COUNT 1.9 10*9/L below range

SERUM TOTAL BILIRUBIN LEVEL 37 umol/L above range

SERUM FREE TS4 Level - 14.7 pmol/L

This appears to be in the normal range.

No results for T3

So with my TPO above range but my TS4 normal, and high bilirubin level, does this mean there is still cause for concern or am I borderline or fine? Or do i need a T3 test (which i dont appear to have had) to determine whether I'm auto immune?

Sorry to post same question, just think it may have got lost in previous thread. Just want to be very aware of whats what when i go to docs as im expecting to be fobbed off again....

Thank you once again everyone for your help😊

• Posted

Hello Nicci:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA.

Your blood results, here goes,

TSH 4.9 and that indicates Hypothyroidism because it is above 4.50. scale should be  0.45 to 4.50.  High end is HYPO low end HYPER.

TPO or TPOA is above range means you have antibodies that can cause autoimmune thyroid problems and should be 0 or close to it so it can be the start of Hashimoto's.

Hemoglobin  is the amount of Oxygen carrying part of your Red blood cells and  no scale is given for your lab.  In USA 12-14 is normal but if you have the reference range it may be okay on your paper.

Serum Bilirubin is your liver function test. Above range means you may have a fatty liver or it may not be working well and you could have yellowing in the whites of your eyes.  Some other things to look into here is make sure no Hepatitis. Other meds you may be on can bother it also.

Serum FTS4  or FT4 is noraml at 14.7 and shouls be 12-22.

The only thing is your liver Bilirubin needs looking into.

Any questions just ask,

Shelly

• Posted

Thank you for all of your advice and taking the time to help with my results. I have just booked an appointment with the doc on Wednesday, wish me luck  [eek] ​
    • Posted

Hello Nicci:

I will be hoping for good news, keep us posted.

Shelly

• Posted

Hi there

Good luck for Wednesday. Keep us updated won't you? Try to get a definitive answer about the level of antibodies. Might be worth while asking if the other antibodies can be checked as well.

• Posted

Hi Cindy,

Thank you very much.

Im very sorry but i realise i do have a TPO reading. Im just confused reading my results.

It states above range which ive already mentioned on here, but he reading is 263ku l.

Because it was much higer that 35 (the top of normal range) i thought it cant possibly be the reading....

The other antibody reading i can confirm i dont have which i'll ask at docs today.

Thank you again.

Nicci

• Posted

Hi Shelly,

In response to your previous reply Im sorry but i realise i do have my TPO reading and i'd misread my results. Basicaly because it was 263 i thought that couldnt be the reading as its way above the normal range of 35.

Does this mean hashimotos along with my other 'above range' results?

Many thanks for your very helpful replies. Very much appreciated.

Nicci

• Posted

Hello Nicci:

Hashimoto's is an autoimmune disease that is tested for by TPOA which should be lower than 34 on most scales.  When the number is over that it is a way of diagnosing this condition along with your TSH of 4.9 and of course symptoms you may have.

Many reasons can cause Hashimoto's which is not contagious or anything. A nasty virus called Epstein -Barr or EBV, and also called Mononucleosis back in the day.  This virus lays dormant and later is activated by stress or Pregnancy.  Also some of us have a family history. It can be passed on via DNA.  My sister & I have it and our Aunt had Hashi's. 

Do ask your family if anyone has it or had it.  It can skip a generation also.  Now you can live a good life, and I am 55 and still kicking, LOL.

It is treatable by way of a thyroid replacement medication such as LEVOTHYROXINE.  It will build a level in you and then the TSH will become normal and the antibodies will be controlled. It takes the medication about 6 to 12 weeks to build a proper level and all thyroid meds must be taken on an empty stomach and you need to wait an hour before eating.  Food can block absorption.

Also worth saying is Lupus and Rheumatoid Arthritis share a common cousin-ish relationship with Hashi's.  So ask the doctor to check you for these as well. Most of us have been checked.  It is a few simple blood tests only.

I am only worried at your Bilirubin level, ask the doctor to look at that for any liver problems.  They can scan the liver if needed.  Perhaps it is related to the autoimmune and ask them to repeat this test in 3 months time.

Any questions just ask,

Shelly

• Posted

Hi Shelly,

Once again thank you very much for your very helpful response.

I'm much clearer now for going to the docs. I have a number of symptoms which looking back probably coincide with the birth of my son 6 years ago, also huge amount of personal stress since then, but anyway....

Thank you once again for all of your advice, very reassuring regarding the meds. Naturally a bit concerned over my liver.

Keep well.

Nicci

• Posted

* that shoukd have read 'im much clearer now for WHEN i go to the docs.

• Posted

Shelly Sorry but in a previous posting you stated that the TPOa should be zero. Is that just applicable to the USA?

You mentioned the EBV/mononucleosis. How is this screened for ?

Wat is the treatment for this in connetion with the ffect t has on the thyroid? Is it the same that is depending on whether it causes hypo or hyper. Can people have both hypo and hyper in a short space of time? 

Sorry to ask all these questions .

• Posted

Shelly

Hope it is ok to ask you this question as you are posting to Nicci.

You mentioned that the TPOAS if above a certain level suggest auto immune disease.

Does this mean that they are usually present but if they  get above 35 it suggests a problem?

Thanks

I am wondering they are there in the first place reallly!!

• Posted

No problem. I assume that you will speak to your dr about this result. 

Hope the visit goes well.

Kind regards

Cindy 

• Posted

Hello Cindy:

TPOA should be close to zero and no higher than 34 and if higher number it needs to be investigated for autoimmune thyroid disease. I think UK is about the same. 0-34 is the range of Normal.

EBV  a titer can be drawn, to see if a person had it.  Perhaps a medical history also can verify it also.

Swings can happen for periods of times in Hashimoto's. Swing are Hyper then Hypo and for a period of time.

Shelly

• Posted

Hello Cindy

Our thyroid when attacked by antibodies (which are there but normally helpful), perhaps major stress and or pregnancy or some other illness can trigger these antibodies to go haywire.

The scale is 0 -34 and over that should be investigated for autoimmune  thyroid problem.  Many people can even have a family history of it and  may not know it.

Some people get it as they menopause and others get it from ages 20 to 45. Also EBV a nasty virus can lay dormant and then due to some stress cause problems with the antibodies.  Women tend to get it more than men.

I hope this helps.

Shelly

• Posted

Thank you Shelly .

I am still trying to understand why this infection happens to some people and not to others . Also trying to fathom what exactly happens and why the thyroid is so ill equipped to deal with these viruses. 

Thank you once again.

• Posted

Hello Cindy:

EBV is passed along via kissing or direct contact with someone and you could have it in your teens and it lays in your immune system but dormant.

It does not go away and then one day it stirs up the normal antibodies and they get a bad signal and attack our thyroids.  The thyroid is a gland and can't really defend against the antibody attack.

Long story short, it hurts the gland but can be controlled if the person goes on replacement thyroid medication.

Shelly

• Posted

Thank you again for your very helpful response.

What would that  thyroid medication be or does it depend on whether the gland becomes hypo or hyperactive? Is the damage permanent ?

Many thanks for taking the time to reply to my questions.

It is much appreciated.

• Posted

Hello Cindy:

Thyroid  replacement hormones are for Hypothyroidism  (under active) and not Hyperthyroidism.

It has to do with blood levels on certain blood tests like T4 and T3 and TSH.

Hyperthyroidism has a medication called carbimazole that blocks the ability of the thyroid hormone.

The gland being enlarged goes along with Hypo generally.

I hope this helps.

Shelly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.