Blood thinners/ aspirin for broken ankle blood clots?

Posted , 12 users are following.

I am 5 weeks post op ORIF surgery. I am very curious to know if you were prescribed blood thinners or told to take aspirin daily to prevent blood clots? I was given an injection upon discharge in hospital and that was it, wondering if I should start taking an aspirin daily? 

1 like, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I had foot surgery in September and I am taking aspirin two times a day per instruction of physician.
  • Posted

Hi Pam,

I'm 67, male and had an ankle fusion in June '16. On leaving hospital I was given 14 syringes of anti clotting stuff to be injected daily into my tummy. No mention of aspirin after that. I did ask the nurses if I should take aspirin, but they didn't know. In my case, I needed the blood to clot to fuse the bones, so I was wary of taking aspirin, however I did do a lot of exercise - mainly toe wiggling - and have a regular glass of white wine which, apparently, thins the blood

• Posted

thx for the reply, I am now at 5 weeks so I think I am good now and I also do lots of wiggling biggrin

• Posted

TOe wiggling? How soon after surgery? Also...I wonder I even really need P.T.....
    • Posted

I started to try to wiggle toes day after surgery with both graft/ plated screwed Fibula. Little and often. PT essential. They are experts. Make sure your recovery is on track, and look for areas that need strengthening.

You may only need a few sessions.

• Posted

I had orif surgery broke tibia and fibula and dislocated my foot I had injection

For about 7 weeks until I went into my robot cop boot he tried to give them to me again and

I said no I didn't want anymore he then checked with the surgeon who did

The operation to see if he wanted me to keep having them when he returned he said each surgeon is different

Some will want you to keep on with them others think a few weeks is ok I was black and blue lol sorry not much help but as I said

I was told it's down to what you're surgeon thinks is right for you hope it helps by the way I am allergic to asprin so that could have

Had a influence on the decision as well regards dawn

• Posted

Sorry I meant pwb 
    • Posted

Yes my surgeon said I was ok not to take anymore injection

I did have a removable boot wich I only put on to go out of the house

So I still sat a lot resting my foot I took paracetamol and codien

With being allergic to asprin hope you recover soon my plate and screws come out

On the 9 th Dec as I've had a lot of discomfort from them as well good luck you will get better regards dawn

• Posted

How long has it been since your surgery? Your getting the hardware out already?
  • Posted

hi pam....i was given the injections also but they also had my pharmacy supply me with enough injections to last me 2 months, so i inject my self each day.   hope this helps and get well soon
    • Posted

so only until you were pwb? Were you high risk? 
  • Posted

I only took the aspirin for about 3 weeks post op ORIF! You should be fine now
    • Posted

Thx sunshinerae did you have much muscle aches? Even on my broken ankle side, especially my thighs 
    • Posted

I sure do. Just from laying around trying to heal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.