Blood thinners/ aspirin for broken ankle blood clots?

Posted , 12 users are following.

I am 5 weeks post op ORIF surgery. I am very curious to know if you were prescribed blood thinners or told to take aspirin daily to prevent blood clots? I was given an injection upon discharge in hospital and that was it, wondering if I should start taking an aspirin daily? 

1 like, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Pam. I am nearly nine weeks post ORIF and I was given a prescription for six weeks of injections when I left the hospital. There was a discussion at the time of whether they gave me those or aspirin but they decided on injections.

It's been so nice to not have to take them anymore.

• Posted

I was on Rivaroxaban for 8 weeks post ORIF surgery.

I presume you are either in plaster or a boot and non-weight bearing

I understood it to be vital

Have you asked your consultant ??

• Posted

Wow! Did your Ortho. happen to say he advised everyone to have a blood thinner.Just curios if I should've had it pryor to my ankle surgery.....

• Posted

Hey Pam. Sorry to hear about your surgery. I too just had an ankle surgery. I slipped and fell in a water spill in my kitchen nine week's ago now and it's been hell. I broke my tibia in one place, my fibula in two places ....and dislocated it!!! First surgery ever!!! I now have a plate 3 screw's. ..AND a dang pin!!/×;@:+:+ The reason I'm on here is because I can't get my swelling to.go down in ankle/foot!!! I exhausted myself recently...(last weekend at my son's Garden wedding)...I can't use crutches. .j's soooo long story short...my blood pressure shot up and I thought I was dying...ambulance came gave me intro...it was 145/101..ne way..that brought it down...1st time that's ever even happened ( I blame it all on my dang ankle and surgery ) wearing me out...So at the hospital...immediately the ER Dr. thinks it may be. ..."a blood clot". Soooooo had chest x-ray. .had a scary thing angiogram with dye looking for any clot in my lung's...praise God the test were negative. Then.... They did a sonogram on both my leg's. ..and groin area. No clot or clots...So they do sonogram on my neck...both side's. Thank God all clear too. Well....after being poked for many blood test's they say we're gonna have the Cardiologists come see you! Omg...Soooo their thinking maybe...heart congestion to explain slight chest pain high blood pressure. ..smh. Wanted me to allow them to do something called a dang Nuclear Stress Test...because...Lola...I can't walk on the treadmill!!! Imagine that!!! J's....I called family and they said do not allow that test ...they inject you with some chemical that makes your adrenaline go wild for approximately 20-30 minutes while performing the test#@;×\+ NOT ! I said I would wait until my ankle's completely healed on walk on a treadmill for them!!!@:@ I had been there 18 hour's by then and figured I didn't even need a dang chemical...I was already "stressed to the max!!!! Soooo they put me in a nice room and inject me with a "blood thinner" said they give it to.all patients coming in whose not on it already...since I was gonna be sedentary in a hospital bed....hmmmmmm. I wore a heart monitor for them for next 24 hour's. ..then came home. SMH. WILD RIDE!!!! So to.answer your question....Not sure if my Ortho. gave me a blood thinner shot after before or during surgery. .he was rude. He never said...and I didn't know to.inquire until.I just read your comment...j's...I wasn't given a prescription for it but the ER was sure thinking I may have a clot j's....I guess....it is pretty common being sedentary after an ankle break.I pray I don't form one. I have this crap! I've never ever been so done physically in my entire 53 year's and am depressed and just am Soooooo ready for all this to be over. Having to ask for help...not walking...is driving me insane. I even lost my job at a finance Co.%+:@,@" If anyone is reading this I hope something I've wrote helped you. If anyone else is where I'm at, I've love some feedback.Encouragement. lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.