Blurred/patchy vision, muffled hearing and loss of balance.

Posted , 25 users are following.

I'm 23 and last night I experienced a sudden onset of blurry and patchy vision, and my hearing became reduced/muffled. Additionally, I felt quite hot and I was having trouble walking- when I got up to go to the bathroom during this episode, I nearly fell over. This particular experience has happened 3 times now- all suddenly. Occasionally, I have also experienced a slight loss of balance when getting up during the night, in which I have felt like I'm slanted and I've had to hold on to the walls.

Does anyone know what these symptoms are a result of?

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am 23 as well, I was diagnosed when I was in the 8th grade with something called vasovagal syncope. My whole life since I was 5 I have always had a problem with what is known as "tunnel-vision," where I black out, first from my peripheral view then all my site is lost. More frequently, I have symptoms where I lose hearing before any of this happens, I don't go completely deaf, but everything if muffled. It is almost like there's water in my ears and I can hear sounds but my brain can't 100% focus on it because it's trying to cope with what is going on. When I work out, this gets a lot worse. When I lose hearing, I have a heightened sense of everything in my body, I can hear my heart as if I had a stethoscope in my ears, just listening to my heart beat.  Typically this is my first sign something is about to happen now, the sound of my heart being heard through my ears. After that occurs, I start feeling "weird," my surroundings just feel slightly off and then my legs come next. My legs get a weird sensation, I'm not sure how to describe it, but it's only a 2 second response to hold onto whatever is closest. My vision then starts where the black slowly invades my vision. It starts slowly, and I always think maybe it'll stop after a few seconds and not fully invade my line of sight, but it almost always does if I continue standing and dont crouch into a ball and raise my knees about my heart. If I don't sit down in time, I fall, or I lose my legs but have enough strength to hold onto whatever it is I found. It only last for a few seconds, sometimes minutes. I feel weird after it happens for quite some time. But it passes. 

I tend to hyperextend my knees, so this is my number 1 problem with my condition. I'm cutting off more blood circulation than I need to be. With syncope, the problem is getting oxygen to your brain, so your heart and brain are a little out of beat every now and then, most frequently when you change positions or when you stand for too long. Things like tea don't help this condition, they tend to bring more frequent episodes. Increase your salt intake along with water intake, if you feel the beginning symptoms, crouch down and raise your knee higher then your heart. Let it take it toll, and always make sure to get up SLOWLY. 

I also have a heart murmur that is new, and that is making the condition 10x worse than it ever has been. When I get sick my heart paces at a different speed and I have trouble breathing, the syncope episodes happen more frequently and the effects are a lot worse. I currently can't go to the gym without losing hearing within 5 minutes. I took some blood pressure medication, but the problem was that it didn't work. When they tried to elevate my heart rate on a treadmill at the cardiologist, he couldn't get it near 120 even though I was sprinting 9.5 mph for over 45 minutes and felt as if I was going to die. The thing that sucks is the syncope never occurs when I'm at the doctor, he does everything to egg it on, and nothing ever works. 

• Posted

I am 28 and I started having these weird dizzy spells. It's not like I see anything spinning or feel like I'm spinning but my brain feels really weird. My hearing gets to the point where it is like tunnel hearing. Like someone is telling from one end of a tunnel and I barely hear it. My vision starts going black, starting from the outside and moving towards the center. I have a short time to grab ahold of the nearest thing. The worse it gets my arms and legs start shaking and if it's really bad I pass out and normally hit my head on something or the floor for sure. I was originally diagnosed with vertigo because it only happens when I'm walking then the neurologist said I had low blood pressure and put me on a blood pressure pill. It helps a little, but it still happens. I'm going to get a second opinion because my blood pressure has always been fine. I don't know if this helps but maybe I can get some answers too.

• Posted

ive just had the same thing happened to me im a 41yrs old women and i don't know what to do or what it could be my blood pressure is fine 108/98 but it scared the crap out of me because of the sounds i heard in my head does anyone have any suggestions

• Posted

Please help me someone I relate to this post a lot but it has happened to me multiple times during the day out of no wherei get hot flashes then I start feeling like if I don't sit down I'm passing out for sure. Most of the times the hot flashes come first and it makes me more nervous because I know what's coming next at this point cuz it's happened so much it's accompanied by blurry vision and feeling like I'm going to faint or throw up I'll wake up in the middle of the night to use the restroom walking to the restroom feels like my body can barely get there the darkness makes me even more dizzy and sometimes I hold on to things to be able to fully make my way there then by the time I sit down I feel so exhausted and hot that I have literally taken all my clothes off before while sitting there and just stay stumped there I noticed when these episodes are happening my heart rate starts to go crazy and I don't know if it's because I'm scaring myself because this whole situation is frightening or why it does that it's beginning to happen more and more sorry if I'm going into too much detail I'm just scared at this point

• Posted

Hello, this may not help but I had the exact same symptoms when I went back to my karate club, I think maybe it might have just been exhaustion as I've had a very exhausting few weeks and I nearly passed out with those symptoms. Hope this helps in some way 😊 xxx

• Posted

I'm 13 nearly 14 and I suffered this last night, 29 March 2018. I sat down before I could even fall over. Nothing hurt except my head and eyes. I still feel weak and dizzy. I'm scared of hat will happen to next....

• Posted

Hi Laura! 

It is now July 11 of 2018 but on July 3 I was out at a little bonfire with friends. halfway through a snore I got a cramp in my hip and wobbled over to a clear area to try and stretch it out. Standing up and walking I was very dizzy but I didn’t tell my friends because I didn’t want to embarrass myself. (HA little did I know) I sit down in the grass and I loose almost all of my vision, my hearing is muffled and I’m very confused for about 2 minutes or so before a friend comes over to check on me. She asks me if I’m okay and I can’t get myself to say anything in reply. Then,,,, I throw up within the next thirty seconds and after that I feel fine. Like nothing had ever happened. I got a glass of water and went inside and everything was good again. I had been feeling sick a couple weeks prior but avoided going to the doctor and wrote it off as allergies or something. I’m beginning to worry if there is something wrong. Do you suggest I go to the doctor?

• Posted

Hey I'm Khanyisa and experienced something today much like what you described. I was in the store leaning against a counter when my heartbeat sped up and my body got extremely hot, especially my head which felt like it had suddenly been filled with blood. At that moment everything became very bright, to the point where I could only slightly make out things. Also sounds became noise and there was this beeping sound like in movies when a gun is shot too close to someone's ears. This lasted for about 10mins and had been the first time I experienced it. Prior to the incident I slept at 4am and had been watching movies in a dark room the entire night. I had also been smoking marijuana and cigarettes the night before and in the morning. I had a bowl of cereal before I left the house.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.