Blurred vision after cataracts surgery

Posted , 57 users are following.

My husband had laser treatment in 2003 in both eyes because he hates wearing glasses. Last year he had to have cataracts removed from both eyes  and this has left him with blurred vision and the need to wear glasses all the time. He feels it has been a total failure and is very depressed about it. He is 75 years young and very active. He has been to the opticians and they said this was normal! Is this right? Any ideas? Many thanks

Diane

2 likes, 130 replies

130 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Diane, after reading your report about your husband's situation, I am writing to compare mine.  I had Lasik in 2001, and 2 months ago I had cataract surgery with lens implantation.    After this long, it is still like looking through clam chowder, and dizziness when even walking is a problem.  I am a complete nuisance on the road, so perhaps a driver is what I need.    Drops upon drops consume my entire day, it seems.   So, he is not alone!

• Posted

Dr Kornmehl in Boston in my opinion has the utmost integrity. I asked about my right upon getting a second opinion on my left eye and he stated I was a candidate. I asked if I needed the toric lens in my right eye. You know like the one I paid $1200 for in my left eye that has the blurred vision.

He said no. I had taken all my records with me and asked if I needed that toric lens in my left eye and after reviewing my records said in his opinion No. So along with blurred vision I feel I got scammed out of $1200.

• Posted

Does anyone's eye feel sort of like when you are going to cry and a tear wells up in your eye, causing vision to be blurry, but not wet or teary? I really think something is wrong with the lens and that it should be replaced.  Doctor seems to think the answer is lasix is the answer to better vision at my expense, but doesn't know if it will clear the blurriy part.  Has anyone had lasix to correct the problem?

• Posted

re: "sort of feel like"

Your comment is  ambiguous. If not clear if its referring to actually how the eye physically feels (like its generating tears,but that despite that its not wet), or if you are talking about your assessment of (=feelings on)  what  your vision is like (blurry like when you tear, but without the tears).

The lens is inside your eye, you literally can't feel it since there are no nerves inside there to feel it.  It also isn't clear if you are talking about actual tear production. When the eye is too dry and realizes it and then produces tears, those tears will just be restoring the eye to normal but not making it feel "wet or teary", but the vision fluctuate while  the level of  tear film changes, just as it would when its going from normal to too-wet when someone cries.

Dry eye is a reasonably common side effect of surgery (although statistics vary wildly on how commn it is exactly). Dry eye impacts your vision since variations in the depth of the tear film actually impact the lens power of your eye and how light passes through it. The drops afterwards can play a part (depending on whether you are still in that phase of post). One cause of it they think is the incisions cutting nerves that tell the brain the eye needs lubrication, though of course only to part of the eye. That can lead to varied symptoms, like the eye at times not feeling as dry as it actually is due to nerve being cut, or conversely not feeling as wet as it actually is once tears are generated.

• Posted

Softwear. you seem to be very knowledgable about the eye. Hope you can help me. I had cateract surgery and lense replacement about 5 - 6 months ago. From the first day, I have had a whitish film or looks like I am looking through fog in both eyes. I have had yag laser in one eye but it didn't help. I have also had macular endema in one other eye and that has been treated. Colors are not as vivid as they were, guess that is from the foggy vision. Still going to the doctor but I don't believe he knows what to do about it. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, what was the cause of it or how long ( if ever ) did it take to get better. Depressed and any answer would be appreciated.

• Posted

You mentioned in a different post that you had a YAG for PCO already which is the most common cause of vision described as cloudy after catarat surgery (so be sure to mention it whenever you talk about your situation).

You mention that colors are not as vivid as they were. Is that a comparison to before you got cataracts, or to your vision immediately before cataract surgery? Usually right after cataract surgery colors are more vivid, which is why I'm asking. Perhaps thats why you mention it, but I just wanted to get clear your comparison point.

If its a comparison point to before you had cataracts, one thing that comes to mind is that you have some eye problem unrelated to the cataract surgery itself. Sometimes before surgery the cloudiness from a cataract can mask other visual problems people don't realize they had since they (and their doctors) assume the whole problem is due to the cataract since that is the most likely answer. Then if their vision isn't great after cataract surgery, the most likely assumption is that its the result of the surgery, so they don't check enough for other factors.

I don't know if all of your followups have been with the same surgeon, I might suggest a 2nd opinion from another doctor if you hadn't gotten one, perhaps even a doctor whose practice is focused on diagnosing other eye issues and not on doing cataract surgery. 

Unfortunately with uncommon issues there is a good chance no one reading this site will have encountered it before, but I might suggest that to make it easier for anyone to notice your post that you start a new thread/page about your situation, ideally choosing as specific a title as possible related to your situation (or that its one puzzling doctors so perhaps the rare doctor or two skimming through the site occasionally might decide to take a look), rather than having it lost amidst other very different issues on a page full of messages.  Provide as much information as possible.

Unfortunately there is a good chance I won't be able to suggest anything,  there are only certain eye issues I've read about in depth, e.g. even the common eye problem of macular degeneration I know little about.  I've researched certain issues in depth related to my needs, and out of curiosity read related information I ran into along the way and kept up to date, but I don't have a medical background.

• Posted

Thanks for answering softwear. I use to paint landscapes and I could tell the colors about as good as anyone, but immediately after the surgury, I had trouble telling the diff. between dark green and black. Also, I have a light gray jacket and a light brown jacket and I have to take them to a pretty bright light to tell the diff. Another thing I didn't tell you, was that objects that are vertical appear wiggly. I know that that sounds like macular endema, but have been treated for that in one eye. Still going to the doctor and went to another for a second opinion and he couldn't find anything wrong, however that doctor was in the same group. The group is in Kingsport Tn. and is suppost to be about the best around. My doctor really has tried and he is a really nice guy but I am thinking after he does all he can do, if I'm not better, is going to an eye hospitol in Bristol Tn. Thanks again for responding.   David

• Posted

In terms of colors, its odd that you should have more trouble telling them apart. Usually people see colors more vividly after surgery, even if they see them differently.  Its  not merely because of not having the cataract anymore, but also not having an aged natural lens. The  natural lens of someone a few decades old,  even  without a cataract,  lets in less blue light compared to a young natural lens, and people adapt to having less blue light. Most monofocal IOLs let in as much blue light as a young natural lens (many even let in some light in the UV range beyond what a young natural lens does). That can lead to   a shift in color vision even compared to what it was pre-cataract, back to what it was a few decades ago. However usually that wouldn't make colors harder to distinguish. 

There are some blue-blocking IOLs (I don't know if you know what model IOL you received) which provide blue light closer to the level of   an aged natural lens,  less than a young lens. I don't know if you might be extremely young for a cataract, e.g. 20s or something, and got a blue blocking lens, in which case you might be getting less blue light than you were.

• Posted

I meant that my vision is blurry like when your eye wells up to tear/cry.  There is no tear,  Merely trying to explain what my vision is like.
    • Posted

Hi...I am actually have usher syndrome....notice it at the age of 12 or 13.....now I am 49 year old...and recently done cataract surgery on my right eye. ...and the result is not good....can't see anything...totally blured vision.....can you please advice....I am asking this because I am a usher syndrome patient

• Posted

Virtually the same problem, had both eyes lazered in 2007, cataract in left eye removed July 2015, OK at first but quickly deteriated could see but like looking through a moving net curtain. Had follow up lazer treatment last year and to be quite honest have not noticed any improvement. I can understand your husbands frustration,the opticians and the clinical staff both reckon my vision is 20/20 , yes I can see without glasses but to me there is absolutly no quality, headaches and constant blurryness. The surgeon who carried out the recent lazer teatment did say that there was one further avenue of treatment, involves some type of surgery on the rear of the eye, if it continues to get worse, will definitly investigate.
  • Posted

Same thing happened to me. Astigmatism lense replaced the original lense it was not applied correctly. Had to have the lense replace proplerly . 

Imsee better but but as we age the shape of our eyes change and it also affects focus. 

• Posted

I had the same thing last week. Is this a problem with the surgeon?
    • Posted

in my opinion,tes, my doctor used a lens that was stronger then needed, my left unoperated eye is fine,, the right one is near sighted. And blury and double vision, my brain ajusted a bit but there are days when I still get very depressed over this.... 
    • Posted

I had surgery on left eye April 12th. Follow up on 13th can see perfectly   left eye. Follow up 9 days later, April 21 left eye blurry, could not see near or far. Cancelled Surgery for April 26 on right eye. Saw doctor April 25 as concerned about left eye. This time am near sighted cannot see over 4 foot in front of me. Doctor said when both eyes are fixed, it will help correct it. I am getting second opinion May 3. Don't know if Laser would be better or old style cataract surgery would be better on right eye. Tough decision, any advice would be appreciated.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.