BM talk again !!!

Posted , 14 users are following.

7 weeks on I am still having trouble going to the toilet !!!

Still on Movicol and docusate and they are working fine - stools are very soft !! It is the actual going which is the issue.

After a chat with Matron I did feel like I am in the process of having to retrain me and my body on how to actually have a BM as its not worked like that for a lot of years. I will have an Ok day where I feel sort of in control but would never describe myself as having emptied my bowels and then the next day it will be like I have been superglued and regardless of the fact I know it is all sat there and soft there is nothing I can do to get it out !!! In the past before surgery when I have had that feeling I would just push the bulge in the vagina !! I hate the fact that this is coming into my head as that's when I panic the prolapse is back !!! I do feel like everything moves feeling like its pushing out again when I try to go and I know this sounds like a really stupid question but define straining !? Surely I have to push a bit !?

Sorry definitely on a down day - not coping aswell today with the BM issues !!

1 like, 168 replies

168 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Bunky. I'm waiting for more tests at the moment but it seems I've prolapsed for the third time since I was 40. I've been having some difficulty having a BM too because of it. I find if I push on the left buttock, it helps move the 'poo' down lower into the rectum and activates the muscle to expel it, if you take my meaning! I read this on here and it works for me, maybe you could try it anyway. The colon comes down on the left side, I think this is why it works but I'm sure matron can explain this better than I can. I also use a suppository if needed, just glycerine but if I feel pain in that region an Anusol or something like that which is sold for piles, as it helps with pain at the same time as easing the passage. I can't wait to get myself sorted now but have to wait while they make a care plan as I also have ovarian cysts and am now 72!  I'm beginning to wonder if going private would speed things up as all this on top of spinal arthritis has severely restricted my mobility. Hope my method works for you if you try it anyway. Best wishes, Pollyanna.
    • Posted

Oh so sorry you are having such a rubbish time Pollyanna ! If you can go private maybe you should as long as you know you are going to be seen by someone you trust ! and I will give your method a go - thank you xx
  • Posted

Can I just ask if stitches itch when healing?
    • Posted

O yes! Insanely annoying.

On the BM point - I have had exactly the same issue but am having some success with putting my feet on my daughter's little hop up step. I have to sit for a few minutes (but I give up if my perineum starts to hurt) but about half the time now it works. I'm 8 weeks post repair (anterior, posterior, perineum). I am still on Movicol twice a day and dulcoease (I think is ducosate). 

I think it is effective because when I am at work (no step, difficult to sit calmly on the loo for a few minutes) everything clogs up again. Roll on the weekend!

• Posted

Oh yes and to the point I thought I had an infection !! I also had a laparoscopy at the same time and they are only tiny incisions and itched like mad !!!
    • Posted

I thought I had thrush. It's never ending

Thanks hun

• Posted

Ok going to ask another one of those questions !!! Lol !! I have tried the step and have had no success with that at all but and here comes that awkward question - how long is everybody sitting there for !? Am I just not giving it enough time maybe !!

• Posted

See how it goes I did go to GP and she took a swab just to make sure but it came back clear X
    • Posted

Well when I went in for them to take a biopsy of the endometrium under anaesthetic (my cervix was closed so they didn't even attempt to do it without anaesthetic) I came round to be told they thought they'd accidentally perforated the uterus so had to stay in hospital longer LOL!  But I was so impressed with my laparoscopy (hysterectomy). 
    • Posted

Haha... Delightful conversation!

I'm finding a few mins... Often not on first attempt, maybe second. Also, I'm walking around for 20 mins or so inbetween tries and that seems to be working to get things moving.

I just can't get over how up and down recovery for this is. I'm nearly 9 weeks post p&a repair. Everyone's sick and tired of me now so I try not to talk about it and carry on as normal!

• Posted

I'm at the point of wanting to keep my privates private again! X
    • Posted

I aim for 5 minutes, which seems like an age. But I do stop if things start to feel like they're stretching (if you know what I mean). When I first started trying to sort this out I realised I couldn't relax my pelvic floor properly. It sort of quivered as if it didn't want to let go (sorry if TMI). Conquering that was quite a breakthrough. Took some concentration, bravery (stitches!) and deep breathing exercises.
    • Posted

Haha !! I know I have no pride lol !!!

Yes i have increased my walking over the last week to try and get things moving but will try a little more patience maybe !!

I also know what you mean by not going on about it. Friends/family will ask are you better and of course I am 'better' and obviously they don't really want me to explain that yes I am but sometimes my vagina still feels like it's been stuffed with barbed wire and my poo won't come out (tmi !? Lol) so act like normal and then jump on this forum and moan like mad !!! It's great !!! X

• Posted

Yes can relate to that too !! Desperately trying to relax as much as poss !! I'm sure it will all settle down just I always seem to be worried about some aspect of it all at the moment and that's just not like me !!! Grrrrrr !!! X
    • Posted

Bunky, surgery for some reason often leads to anxiety and the worry that something has or is going to go wrong. 
    • Posted

Matron I am suffering so bad with anxiety since the labour. I honestly thought they were killing me, torturing me. It was like a medieval labour. Not normal in this day and age. All I had was a woman telling me to snap out of it and it was my third, you don't need numbing for your third, they just pop out! 24 hours later plus my second is 10!
    • Posted

That's a shocking way to be treated vicky and because of that it's left you with the type of anxiety that is rarely  seen these days. When I trained to be a midwife in the mid 1970's there were the 'old school' midwives that spoke to ladies in labour like you were but I thought those days were long gone! It makes me feel very angry because first, third or tenth labour they are all different. Have you spoken to your health visitor or GP about this?
    • Posted

I don't remember mine itching but I do remember one sticking in me at one point:-)  At least, that's what it felt like.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.