BM talk again !!!

Posted , 14 users are following.

7 weeks on I am still having trouble going to the toilet !!!

Still on Movicol and docusate and they are working fine - stools are very soft !! It is the actual going which is the issue.

After a chat with Matron I did feel like I am in the process of having to retrain me and my body on how to actually have a BM as its not worked like that for a lot of years. I will have an Ok day where I feel sort of in control but would never describe myself as having emptied my bowels and then the next day it will be like I have been superglued and regardless of the fact I know it is all sat there and soft there is nothing I can do to get it out !!! In the past before surgery when I have had that feeling I would just push the bulge in the vagina !! I hate the fact that this is coming into my head as that's when I panic the prolapse is back !!! I do feel like everything moves feeling like its pushing out again when I try to go and I know this sounds like a really stupid question but define straining !? Surely I have to push a bit !?

Sorry definitely on a down day - not coping aswell today with the BM issues !!

1 like, 168 replies

168 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have the same  situation as you Bunky, so annoying....I am nearly nine weeks.....I am only eating small meals and though all seems to be coming through alright, It can't find the exit door!  lol.   
    • Posted

Matron - when can I have a bath? Apparently I can go swimming but not have a bath! Haha. Love to know who wrote my discharge letter!
    • Posted

Haha !! I do know exactly what you mean !!!
    • Posted

How mad is that !!! I can remember matron saying some people get told 6 weeks before a bath. But equally some people don't get told this - I was allowed a bath 7 days after my surgery but have to confess it did seem to go against the grain with me so I wouldn't have it too hot and I didn't stay in very long at all !!!
    • Posted

Yep, I was told I could bath the next day after the op!  I wonder if it's because of the type of stitches used though.
    • Posted

You're right chris, it's to do with the type of catgut that's used.
    • Posted

Hi I was told from 3 medical experts no baths just showers for the first 6 weeks 😊
    • Posted

How do I know if I have the bladder problem? I have no issues peeing or holding but I do have a bulge!
    • Posted

Hi Vicky,

Sorry for asking but Is it a kind of bulge that you feel when you're walking? I only ask as I've had that over the last couple of weeks and I don't know what's causing it? I thought and was hoping maybe it was things settling down from the op but I'm nearly 9 weeks post op now?

• Posted

Noticed when washing. Seems to be blocking entrance x
    • Posted

Yes, and I've heard a lot of others say this too.  In fact, to be honest, I'm not sure I've heard anyone else be told they can bath straight away.  My surgeon was very young and I wonder if this is a latest type of advice or maybe just different stitches.  Because of arthritis I can't get in the bath anyway, so it didn't apply!  Ah - I see Matron has shed light on it - it depends on the type of catgut that's used - thank you Matron.  I was puzzled why I'd had different advice to others LOL!  So I had the 'de luxe' version, did I? LOL!  (It was done on the NHS!)
    • Posted

Consultants have their own likes and dislikes and catgut is one of them. I do know Urogynaecologists who tell their patients they can have a bath straight away.
    • Posted

Maybe it is just swelling? Fingers crossed anyway. Jesus, kind of wishing I just had a Penis right now x
    • Posted

Oh good - I was beginning to feel as though I was the only person being told that LOL!
    • Posted

I wasn't told anything about baths so I've been having them ever since i had the op 😳 Showers every morning then maybe twice a week a nice soak in the tub... Am worried now!

I hate all this lack of info 😳

• Posted

Hi resting, I bathed after day 3 but was told not to for 6 weeks , it didn't spoil my healing in fact if made me feel bloody good
    • Posted

I have to admit I'm shocked at the lack of information given when ladies are discharged following pelvic floor repairs and probably before surgery. It's certainly not the case where I've worked so if we can do it why can't other hospitals?
    • Posted

Matron,

I was literally told nothing. Just told I could go home. I didn't even leave with any letter for my GP, this was sent in the post a couple of weeks later.

I think they kind of forgot about me because I was in a room on my own, young compared to the others on the ward and was pretty much independent as soon as my pack and catheter were out!

In hindsight I should've asked a lot more questions but was just relieved the surgery was over!

• Posted

Hi I didn't and wasn't told about about any pelvic floor excises..or baths I just heard that baths only so I rang the hospital they said showers only untill 6 weeks 🙈
    • Posted

Haha !!! That made me giggle Vicky !!! X
    • Posted

I completely agree !! There will always be somethings that can't be covered in a discharge pack but anyone having any kind of surgery should be given as much information about what they can and can't do and what to expect during recovery too ! I have to say one nurse stood out amongst all the rest at the hospital I was at but I was also given a really good book to read and that was very useful ! X
    • Posted

Resting, I think once they say you are going home all the questions go out of your head ! They should have given you more information a bit naughty really to say the least X
    • Posted

I honestly think I had some sort of mini lobotomy while in theatre! This combined with a houseful of boys to look after and I'm just about brain dead 🙊😝
    • Posted

Haha !!!! Yup can relate to that one too !! Only two teenage boys and their dad who thinks he is still a teenage boy lol !!!
    • Posted

It wasn't up to you to ask questions Resting the nursing staff should have sat down explained everything and sent you home with written information.
    • Posted

No-one told me when to take the plasters off that were covering the laparoscopy ports and for some reason I thought they dissolved when they were ready to come off and it was only after phoning when it must have been about three weeks after the op, that I was told to take them off, otherwise they might still be there LOL!  So I STILL don't know when they're supposed to come off!
    • Posted

This is starting to sound like a horror story. I'm appalled at some of the things I'm reading.
    • Posted

I  think that is to do with  soaps and fragrances in the bath that are not of course   involved in swimming!  swimming exercise is good for you. Wish I could swim.
    • Posted

It's to do with preventing certain types of catgut fro getting wet and making the stitches soggy.
    • Posted

Well it certainly sounds as though proper information should be put into a leaflet and rolled out nationally?
    • Posted

There were very strong clear sticky plasters over the stitches of the portholes used for the laparoscopy.

• Posted

I'm wondering if it was simply a one off case in my hospital and like I say, they forgot me or if the hospital are like that with everyone? I just assumed that was standard?
    • Posted

Is it common to get an infection..
    • Posted

It certainly didn't use to be but I'm reading more and more about ladies getting one infection or another.
    • Posted

Ok Ive tried to ignore it but it's no good I can't - what do you mean by catgut !? 😱
    • Posted

That's a difficult one to answer but the main one is from organisms and bugs in your own body that could have been laid dormant. They can get into any incisions and breed. On the outside of your body there are always organisms that can work their way into the body.  Other reasons are the ones we think of such a dirty instruments used in surgery (extremely unlikely), poor hygiene (nurses, doctors), the ward unclean, germs on your hospital bedding particularly when the pack or catheter is removed. No area is completely sterile and clean, there are organisms all around us even in your own home.
    • Posted

Stitches Bunky but these days they are made from synthetic materials.
    • Posted

Wonder if that's my temp has been goin up and down and feel little unwell x
    • Posted

Feeling fed up....after slipping on a shaver in the shower in the bath this morning landing on the bathroom room proper banged the back of my head pulled all the fittings and curtain down,.good news I've been to the docs and thank fully no infection and it all looks good 😃
    • Posted

That was a bad start to the day debra but I'm pleased you haven't got an infection. I think you should have a lie down this afternoon.
    • Posted

I no proper went with a bang lol she took a swab put it in something said it was ok all ok down there too 👍😊
    • Posted

Oh that's rubbish re your fall but good you have been checked out and all ok with everything else. I agree with Matron just put your feet up and rest now and hopefully your bruises won't be too bad xx
    • Posted

I wasn't given any discharge instruction except not to lift over 5 pounds for three months..and "baby yourself". Anything that I found out was do to my asking questions.  When ir is so vital to our recovery...why don't we get written instructions?  My only written instructions on discharge from the hospital was about medications (which after being on the same meds for years)!i didn't need 
    • Posted

I didn't receive any written instructions about restrictions, or even any verbal instructions on discharge from the hospital.
    • Posted

Hi I no this isn't related but is 2 paracetamols ok I've got headache from my fall this morning
    • Posted

Yes 2 paracetamol and it's safe to take ibuprofen with them as well x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.