Boarderline low TSH and high FT4.

Posted , 4 users are following.

So this is my first post on here. I've scoured the net for info but what better way than to just ask right?

So I've had very troubling symptoms the last 2 or 3 months. I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about but not sleeping and losing weight like crazy 40lbs in about a month and a half. I constantly feel weak, I sweat profusely, super irratable and have tremor mainly in my right hand but the last week I've had what I can only describe as a goiter because I don't know why else my neck would swell up the way it did and where it did. It seems to last about 12 hours or so and goes away has happened twice now but to make this semi short. My blood test I had done a month ago has my TSH level at 1.11 uiu/mL which is still "normal" but on the lower side. My FT4 is above the normal high though which on my paperwork says 1.7ng/DL and my test came back at 2.01.. I know these numbers are aren't really going to get the Endo's attention but the goiter and everything else how could it not?.... I feel like I'm losing my mind to be honest and would just like to get some feedback. I have 2 friends diagnosed with Graves Disease and when they saw me, my condition and heard the numbers they seemed pretty confident that I'm going to get a Graves Disease DX but after all the things I've read it sounds like my body isn't going to have to literally crash land before they make any important decisions. Currently out of work on temp leave. I just want to feel better. Got an apt with my endocrinologist at 2pm today and just getting nervous. Sick of hitting dead ends... Thank you in advance for any response.

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

*is going to have to crash land* sorry don't know where to edit the post on here.

• Posted

Sounds like the full monty of a runway thyroid - pretty much mirrors my symptoms before it was removed.  I never knew what my tests showed but the effects seem very similar.  Just to add to it I was told there was 'no swelling in my neck' for several years when you could see the damn thing sticking out.  You'll just have to rattle the bars hard to get a response.  Good luck.

Ross

• Posted

Was recently told by a Dr in the hospital that my neck wasn't swollen. I about lost it. Had to pull my phone out to show him what my neck normally looks like and he just shrugged his shoulders basically. Really upsetting getting the same crap over and over. I've since been taking photos of the goiter and when it goes away so they can see the obvious difference.

• Posted

Sounds about standard.  Mine had a lump on it that looked like a bean and they ignored that too - thankfully it was benign but no thanks to the original medics.  Luckily my current GP is brilliant and he started the process to get it sorted out.
    • Posted

That's good. When everything got swollen it felt like there was a rock on the inside of my throat. Nothing visible from the outside though.

• Posted

Crazy how we have the same numbers , do you have too all the symptoms I mentioned? I replied to your comment, let me know!!!
    • Posted

I do have all of those symptoms and more unfortunately. My first apt with him he believed it to be something neurological going on but have to wait a month to see the neurologist. I just have no idea why my thyroid glad would swell up like it did. Doesn't make any sense. Recently started having a pins and needles / cold feet. Mainly the left. Also have problem with my right eye. On and off double vision and sometimes lately the pupils are slightly different sizes. I do strongly believe there's something neurological going on as well but it's just confusing with that swelling.

• Posted

Holy s...t I have pins and needles too and problem on right eye! Double vision too!! I saw a neuro ophthalmologist for that and said it was not from the brain! I saw neurologist too cause dr thought it may have been MS but he dismissed me! I am on antidepressants and anti anxiety meds because this has been ruining my life! I used to work as a preschool teacher but had to quit because I was always fatigued too. I still cry a lot because many doctors say stress and anxiety, I agree but stress and anxiety came after me having all these symptoms and docs not knowing what is wrong!! Who wouldn't be stressed and depressed!!!!

• Posted

How old are you? I am 44
    • Posted

I completely understand. Honestly since I have a hard time sleeping I do a lot of reading on everything I can and the closest condition I've come to matching up my symptoms and how I feel is MS.. But again what the hell is going on with my neck then. I've had to many neurological issues to just dismiss it but if it was something autoimmune it isn't impossible for it to be wreaking havoc in other places as well.. I will state that I have had multiple head and spinal traumas though due to the fact I use to be a very active extreame sports athlete but my head scans have come back normal (from the ER anyway) I'm just incredibly confused. I seriously have an extremely hard to finding the energy to do anything the last few months either. I lay in bed 90% of the time and I feel somewhat ok but if I go out to store or something especially in the day everything falls apart very fast..

• Posted

Exactly!! Doctor told me double vision was induced by reading on phone or computer for a long time. What freeks me out most is change in my skin and loss of mass. Plus tingling hands and feet. I hope hope hope it's thyroid, I want so desperately to believe it as other conditions are far more scary!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.