Boarderline low TSH and high FT4.

Posted , 4 users are following.

So this is my first post on here. I've scoured the net for info but what better way than to just ask right?

So I've had very troubling symptoms the last 2 or 3 months. I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about but not sleeping and losing weight like crazy 40lbs in about a month and a half. I constantly feel weak, I sweat profusely, super irratable and have tremor mainly in my right hand but the last week I've had what I can only describe as a goiter because I don't know why else my neck would swell up the way it did and where it did. It seems to last about 12 hours or so and goes away has happened twice now but to make this semi short. My blood test I had done a month ago has my TSH level at 1.11 uiu/mL which is still "normal" but on the lower side. My FT4 is above the normal high though which on my paperwork says 1.7ng/DL and my test came back at 2.01.. I know these numbers are aren't really going to get the Endo's attention but the goiter and everything else how could it not?.... I feel like I'm losing my mind to be honest and would just like to get some feedback. I have 2 friends diagnosed with Graves Disease and when they saw me, my condition and heard the numbers they seemed pretty confident that I'm going to get a Graves Disease DX but after all the things I've read it sounds like my body isn't going to have to literally crash land before they make any important decisions. Currently out of work on temp leave. I just want to feel better. Got an apt with my endocrinologist at 2pm today and just getting nervous. Sick of hitting dead ends... Thank you in advance for any response.

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Wow!!!!!! I have exact numbers like yours, I also lost weight ( but gained bloating midsection) that put weight on but just water retention, goiter but thyroid scan did not say enlarged, fatigue, thinning skin I now can see all veins and bones in my hands, heart beat fast( 90 sitting down) loss and thinned hair , feeling like I can go on no more! Doc said I have sub clinical maybe but does not think all symptoms I have are thyroid related . I am at loss!!

Tsh o.95 t4 2.09

• Posted

Just to add - I also used to get eye problems and still do if I manage to take too much thyroxin or don't take sufficient exercise to burn it off - best describved as my eyeball and lense going hard so the ability to focus is massively reduced.  I wear varifocals so not a massive issue but I'm like a rabbit, head going up and down to get the focus point right because I don't have the flexibility in my eye. Once the level is back to normal there is no problem.

?At the worst I also had very itchy dry skin and violent leg tremors when under any 'load'.  I actually thought it was Parkinsons.  I drive 4x4s and reached the point I was unable to control the clutch when manoeuvering - really scary stuff.  Oh - and nearly uncontrollable bowel movements which were horrendous - I was afraid to leave hiome for months.

?I've had massive stress at various times and am fairly certain that this i what caused the thyroid to flip.  It conincided with a family trauma and having had a few heart scares that I ignored ( family business came first ) my thyroid that had been swelling and grumbling unnoticed just went wild - so for me stress and emotional issues are a major factor.

?Its a bloody nightmare as the thyroid is a key player in your daily life, but it can be fixed and you will get better.  There are a few small caveats round taking the thyroxin replacement but they are minimal when you get used to it, so while its very nasty now, you will come through it and will be OK - I've been there and wondered too....

• Posted

Ross F,

Could you still have symptoms with "sub clinical " hyperthyroidism? My doc said no way with my numbers?!? Tsh 0.95 free t4 2.09 barely out

• Posted

I'm still really good friends with an ex girlfriend of mine that has Graves Disease and she completely insists that with the symptoms especially swelling of the thyroid that it is possible. Honestly she has been dealing with it for over 10 years so I completely trust her opinion. If it was just the numbers I'd say no but EVERYTHING makes it pretty undeniable how many times have they changed those test ranges over the years as well? It's called the practice of medicine because no matter how smart they are they will never know it all even if they act like it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.