Bone Density greatly improved

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi everyone.

Nearly 2yrs and 7mths ago I had a fall and shattered my ankle. ( still have problems with it) I was sent for a Dexa scan which did show lumbar spine -2.8 and fermoral neck -2.0. The doctor put me on Prolia ( I know many of you are raising your arms with a frown right now) I have been taking Prolia for just over 2 years and have recently got my results from my doctor. I'm over the moon!! 👏😀 my results have greatly improved , lumbar spine 1.9 and hip 1.6. I am advised to still take Vit D & calcium to further improve my bones with excercises. I have for many years taken calcium supplements and had a good diet. I ate copious amounts of yogurt. I presently take and have been taking, calcium, Vit D, K, magnesium. I still eat heaps of calcium foods and cheese. I know I wouldn't have the results I have without taking Prolia. I reiterate I was on a good diet with supplements before my accident.  I have had no issues taking Prolia and I've done my research and listened to the negative comments, but this is my choice and I believe I'm doing the right thing with the results I now have after 2 years. I just want to share my happy news with you all and for the ladies wondering whether or not to take Prolia, I know you will have had a lot of negativity regarding this, but here is something positive. I hope you all improve your T scores in the way you choose, but healthy diet and exercise was never enough for me. 😀

2 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Ms Camboot.  Just wanted to say I too have had no trouble with Prolia.  Not everyone gets bad side effects.  Diet and exercise has helped tremendously.
    • Posted

Oh so very good to hear! Athough I am beginning to feel aches and pains after my first injection 8.2.18 but that could also be because I am reducing my dose of prednisone for PMR/GCA and the symptoms of a flare are the same as the possible side effects of Prolia. I’m not sure at the moment which is which. 
    • Posted

Sorry to hear you are getting aches and pains, but I think most people after the age of 60 get some aches and pains at some time. They say gentle stretching is good for aches and pains and brings some relief.  I know with my ankle I started going to an exercise class to do some stretching because my leg muscles had gone very tight . I started stretching and holding and they felt better afterwards. I couldn't walk without aid for 5 months post op, so I had a lot of muscle wastage. 

• Posted

Thats very reassuring.  I am due my 2nd injection early April and have been worried about all the negative stuff I've read.  I guess we are all different and react differently to different medication.  I also eat lots of yoghurt and now do much more walking than I used to

• Posted

Hi Sue.

Yes we all react differently and no medication or operation is risk free and we are not promised tomorrow either. I think we have to decide which path to follow. I know I now suffer the consequences of my injury and I've lived in fear of falling again. I now feel as if I have some hope. Osteoporotic breakages are debilitating. Keep positive Sue. 😀

• Posted

Crying with relief as I read this. After much deliberation and even more hesitation  I had my first Prolia injection 8.2.18. With a T score of -4 and currently on prednisone long term for PMR and GCA  I was told I didn’t have much of a choice. Like you I,have always followed a healthy lifestyle, ate well, took all the right supplements, exercised, danced hip hop, yoga......more so as I got older  to avoid getting stiff and sore with age...and now at 62 was knocked for a six with this diagnosis. I argued, I researched, i asked questions...I didn’t like what I was hearing but what choice did I have when told I could break my back coughing, and had a 25% chance of having a fatal break...whatever that meant. 

I cannot thank you enough. I needed to hear some positivity from someone who has been on Prolia for the 2-3 years I’m told I will need to be on it. 

Can I ask if you have any suggestions/hints/advice along the way? Any side effects and how do handle them?

• Posted

I haven't had any issues at all with Prolia. I can tell you that I have my teeth checked & see the hygienist every six months. I told them I take Prolia. I think it may be important to keep up the 6 monthly visits, however having no problems at all. I am nearly 62 like yourself and suffered the same fears. It's horrible. Have hope that your bones will improve but its paramount you have a calcium rich diet, exercise to your ability and supplement with calcium, Vit D, magnesium and Vit K2. Taking Prolia is better than having deformities of the spine and debilitating injuries in later years. I've heard the negative feedback, but really what about the consequences to our spine if we don't. I had an auntie with osteoporosis and her back was so deformed her face faced the floor and she was in agony. Diet alone was no good for me. I'm pleased I've helped you too find some hope. Keep up the positivity and don't lose hope. 

• Posted

I am pleased that you are doing well, as are others posting here.  For anyone reading this thread who has not yet decided one way or another you need to keep in mind the relatively recent admission that coming off Prolia, as you would normally expect to do once your bone density is deemed healthy enough, has been implicated in rebound effects causing microcracks and the risk of fracture.  Prolia should only be used if the other options are not suitable for you, not as a first choice. and certainly not if you are in the younger age range as you may end up having to take this medication for life.  As it works by affecting the immune system it's a very serious decision.  But I wish you all well and hope that the positive results come with no hidden dangers for any of you. ? 

• Posted

Thank you for your positive comments and thank you for knowing not even tomorrow is promised. Every medication has consequences and every operation. I'm happy and so are the other ladies 😀 

• Posted

That truly is my concern. The “high risk fracture of the spine” after you stop taking the medication. Of course I don’t believe I can take it anyway because of my issues with my stomach. I heard that anyone that has high pain with Prolia are those with low calcium and low D3 levels. So, taking those supplements is very important while on Prolia.  
    • Posted

In fact I think the doctor is supposed to make sure calcium and D levels are good before starting a patient on any bone medication.  Unforeseen effects are often a problem with new medications.  With bones it's even more problematic because they grow relatively slowly so it takes a long time for side effects to become apparent.  I think what we're now learning about denosumab means it should be reserved even more than it already is for patients who really cannot manage with any other treatment.  And the front line physicians absolutely must be paying as much attention to the bone health of their middle aged patients as they do to the possibility of cancer or cardiovascular disease.  That way far more people would be able to avoid getting into the position where they have to make these difficult choices.  

• Posted

It would be good to have some studies done that compare the different ways people are addressing osteoporosis and osteopenia and tracking the subjects over say ten years. Your choice to combine the natural with prolia could be compared to someone only taking one of the drugs without paying attention to exercise or nutrients and vitamins like K2.

Also, looking at people with really severe osteoporosis taking the drugs for long periods as opposed to someone attempting a natural route who also has severe osteoporosis

.Another factor would be looking at people who have other issues like scoliosis and arthritis that also impact especially the back.

What I am saying it is very unfortunate that we have limited studies to help people make informed choices.

I wish you well and hope that you continue to be well. 

May I ask how long you intend to stay on prolia?

• Posted

Hello Kathleen. 

I think studies are being done and I agree they need to be done.  It is actually a serious condition which many are unaware because until a break, like myself had , many just done know they have the condition.  The consequences of a break can be heartbreaking and people don't understand without they have the condition or have done research. Some people think after 6 weeks you will be up and running again, sadly this isn't the case. I really don't know Kathleen how long I'll be taking Prolia. If I always have to take it, then so be it. I know I'm looking after myself the best way I can and to see such great results in 2 years has given me hope. I'm so tired of being frightened in crowds for fear of being pushed around leading me to have a fall. I still have trouble with my ankle and leg and even hate the thought of a trolley hitting the back of my ankle, when at the supermarket. I just can't risk another fall. After 2 years and 7months I am still suffering mentally and physically from that fall. It was a nightmare .

• Posted

This is the third time I have tried to resond. I hope this time it goes. I am delighted to hear your news and have often wondered how you were doing. This forum is inclined to not always offer support and encouragement to those of us who take meds, but I too have always eaten well and exercised so it was not going to be possible to improve my results without medication. So, well done and congratulations and I am certain your post will help many others who are deciding how to proceed. Good luck in the future 
    • Posted

Hi Alison.

Thank you so much. Yes, it's a breath of fresh air to hear positive results. I don't come on this forum very often because of all the negativity that goes on here. I knew someone would post a negative comment but I'm no longer wasting my time responding to the negativity. I know what I'm doing is for me. Thank you and I hope you are doing well. 💞

• Posted

Many people say the same and I know it has put a lot of people off writing or responding on this forum. Personally, I think we are all in the same boat and we should be supportive to each other, whichever way we choose to strengthen our bones. I agree with everything you have posted but I try to keep an open mind. My meds have worked well for me. I live a normal life and have no intention of being disabled with this awful condition. None of the meds are perfect but then, even for other conditions, meds have some serious side effects too. My back will never be the same after my 2 fractures but if I can avoid a third, fantastic. I find it frustrating being told what I should eat and how much I should walk ( walked 38,000 steps in the last 2 days) when I do all these things anyway and it did not help me. I am so pleased you are starting to lose the fear because it is no life wraping yourself in cotton wool and sitting in a chair because the worry of breaking something, takes over our lives.

stay strong and keep working those muscles too. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.