Bone Density greatly improved

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi everyone.

Nearly 2yrs and 7mths ago I had a fall and shattered my ankle. ( still have problems with it) I was sent for a Dexa scan which did show lumbar spine -2.8 and fermoral neck -2.0. The doctor put me on Prolia ( I know many of you are raising your arms with a frown right now) I have been taking Prolia for just over 2 years and have recently got my results from my doctor. I'm over the moon!! 👏😀 my results have greatly improved , lumbar spine 1.9 and hip 1.6. I am advised to still take Vit D & calcium to further improve my bones with excercises. I have for many years taken calcium supplements and had a good diet. I ate copious amounts of yogurt. I presently take and have been taking, calcium, Vit D, K, magnesium. I still eat heaps of calcium foods and cheese. I know I wouldn't have the results I have without taking Prolia. I reiterate I was on a good diet with supplements before my accident.  I have had no issues taking Prolia and I've done my research and listened to the negative comments, but this is my choice and I believe I'm doing the right thing with the results I now have after 2 years. I just want to share my happy news with you all and for the ladies wondering whether or not to take Prolia, I know you will have had a lot of negativity regarding this, but here is something positive. I hope you all improve your T scores in the way you choose, but healthy diet and exercise was never enough for me. 😀

2 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have not witnessed any negative comment here or in any other post. It seems to me that people are trying to be as unbiased as possible and to provide information for newcomers (who are probably reading every post in the range) as well as answering a post. 
    • Posted

Yes, I agree Sirenetta. I am happy to see positive posts as well as those that warn of possible side effects that doctors (like mine!) dont even discuss with you. When I told him I didnt want to take Prolia and why he said "everything has side effects so now you have to pick either Fosamax or Boniva....". Thats the extenet of the "education" on the drugs he suggested. Sad..... I'm still undecided what to do but have been boosting intake of vitamins and minerals as suggested.

• Posted

Ther has been a lot of negativity on this forum but always directed to the people who take prescribed medication and it has put a lot of people off making comments. However, it seems to be less so now and hopefully, several of the members who have stopped contributing, for this very reason, will return and post their experiences and share their findings
  • Posted

Hi MsCambo

As the saying goes:   Keep taking the tablets!   and in your case the injections.

Its great to hear success stories. I'm still undecided what to do when my little hoard of Strontium ranelate runs out. Like you I take all the  bone supplements, Ca and protein rich diet  etc, but when you have already had the pain and inconvenience of broken bones,  its nice to also have the addition of an  OP certified treatment.

How long can you take Prolia for?

Best wishes

• Posted

They are now saying ten years, and someone posted in a forum recently  "for life".  The reason being, I think, because they no longer dare to stop this medication because of the risk of rebound microcracks causing atypical fractures.  No doubt the researchers are burning midnight oil to find a safe bridging treatment to safely allow denosumab to be discontinued because the beauty of denosumab was that it did appear to improve bone density so effectively it was thought one could stop taking it after just a few years.  Pity about the new findings.

• Posted

Just catching up on the forum and noticed the other part of your comment.  I believe that strontium citrate is still available, as a standardized non-prescription product.  It may be healthier than ranelate, which is a manmade patented item.  I'd do a bit of reading up on it, but I suppose the dose you'd take would be the same as for the ranelate.

• Posted

I took Drs Best Strontium Citrate prior to getting SR.  This particular brand is no longer available.   I believe there is still a few US companies selling it.  I’m slightly wary of getting it from a supplement company as it’s a rather grey area as to where the Strontium actually comes from.    Quite a lot  of the Strontium ore is mined in China.  Also India is getting in on the act.  I would rather get Strontium  from a pharmaceutical company as I think they have better safety controls in place, so there is probably less chance of contamination from other heavy metals, and at least you know what it actually contains.   Best wishes
    • Posted

Yes, I quite understand your concerns.  I wonder which foods contain the most strontium?  I know it's not the same as supplements, but we are told we can get enough calcium from the right diet, so I wonder if strontium might be the same?  Just a thought.

• Posted

Strontium can be found in spices, seafood, whole grains, root and leafy vegetables and legumes. Magnesium, zinc and boron are other important minerals and they may even contain some strontium. I think that was being inferred but not sure. The article I read said that it was not possible to get sufficient amount in your diet but I think it could be worth trying to get some from your foods. 

It did say strontium can be used to repair bones.

Try typing in the key word, strontium, and see if you can see this article. 

• Posted

Seen on FB already. confused Maybe more useful for Lynne directly as I haven't paid attention to strontium myself.  Thanks though.

• Posted

Although after reading the article I wonder if I should be paying more attention. idea Glad to see it supports what I've said all along, that ranelate only existed so a company could make money and the natural supplement is just as good.  

• Posted

I am so glad I found someone who is positive about Prolia lol.  I got the injection three weeks ago after having broken vertebrae three different times.  I have taken every medicine except Boniva, have done all they asked me to do , exercise, don't smoke and drink rarely.  My doctor said this was the only thing left.  I am still recuperating from the fractured vertebrae and don't know if any of the pain, which is mainly muscle spasms now, has anything to do with Prolia.  I am happy to see someone who actually has seen improvement.  The pain from the fractured vertebrae is so debilitating, and depressing.  I have spent the last since late December basically bed ridden.  So hopeful this will bring some improvement.   

• Posted

It makes me sad to read how you have suffered with 3 fractured vertebrae but I hope to send you some positivity. I have had 2 fractures. T7 and a few years later, L4. It was only after this I discovered I had OP. Yes, it is agony but please don’t give up. Find a good physio and do the exercises as often as you can. Now, I still have some pain when I stand for longer periods, but I can walk for miles and run for short spells too. I walk as straight as before and have only lost a couple of centimeters in hight. I am 63 and have a few other medical issues too but I have never given in to this condition. If I can do it, I am certain you can. Get your life back and all the things you love to do can be done again if you are determined enough. My best wishes
    • Posted

If you can get to a physiotherapist who offers dry needling a couple of sessions of that should relieve muscle spasms.  I didn't even know I had muscle spasms, but it turns out I did, and there was such referred pain to my hip I thought I should be in line for a hip replacement.  Dry needling resets the electrical impulses in the muscles, and thereby relieves pain.  Worth asking about if you can.  There may be other techniques as well, like certain types of massage.  My physiotherapist told me that spasmed muscles can actually cause vertebral fractures in vulnerable people. eek

• Posted

I understand the referred pain to the hip, have that too.  I am familiar with dry needling but not sure if anyone here does it.  Thanks for the suggestion.  
    • Posted

I fractured L4and 5 two years ago, pulling a chair up to a table.  Then in December on a ship leaned over to open a drawer and broke those two again, then on Feb 2 , turned to one side and broke L1 and T10 so you can see its all over the map so to speak lol.  I didn't get a physio right away as my husband has been sick and today was the first day I have driven since December, lol.  Going to call doctor tomorrow and get it set up.  Thanks for the kind words.  

• Posted

Much is said about falling when you have OP but when the condition is severe, doing everyday things, can break bones. You must have been in agony, especially when 2 vertebrae lying together, broke. After a fracture of the vertebrae, the muscles at each side of the spine, no longer work in harmony. One side tightens, the mucsles on the other side slacken. This causes an uneven posture and unless it is addressed, you will continue to have pain. Getting these muscles back to working as they were intended, after a fracture, takes months, but it can be done. Take heart that you can get better but be prepared for a lot of hard work. You can do it. You can get back to normal. Whatever normal is!!! Let us know how you get on.
    • Posted

|I think the spasmed are also relieved by the right kind of massage.  Hope you feel better soon.
    • Posted

I would not advise any type of massage at this stage. Your spine is still healing and any pressure could fracture the bones again. Once fully healed, it is certainly recommended for most muscle related problems.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.