Borderline Personality Disorder - Please help I cant go on !

Posted , 26 users are following.

I hate this label but it seems to be the most popular diagnosis around at the moment with psychiatrists . I am judged as attention seeking and emotionally unstable . I am told that I am unable to sustain healthy relationships as I always destroy them . I have been made to feel so inferior and been told I am a " bad coper " . I am branded as becoming too dependant on services . When I feel genuinely suicidal I am taken no notice of and not believed . I am told Im not depressed and shouldn't be taking any form of antidepressants .Because of my label the standard of care I receive for any medical issue is affected . As soon as anyone is told of my diagnosis nothing I say is believed . I am made to feel a burden on the system .

Whenever I interact with the community health team it seems everything I say or think or do is interpreted in terms of my label - it all has to fit neatly into the appropriate little box . I am treated as a label and not as an individual .

My care plan lists all the services and support systems I am to be denied . It dictates - in capital letters - that under no circumstances am I to be admitted to hospital for mental health reasons - not that I would like to be don't get me wrong but it is assumed that I constantly try to get admitted by the way I behave . I am also to be denied short term crisis beds at a local respite centre - something I actually found very helpful after a major crisis last year though I was told it wasn't helpful . My opinions don't seem to be taken into account . I am denied home based treatment by the crisis team - in fact the only crisis team intervention I am allowed no matter how bad my situation is a single telephone call . I am told I should not access support groups or interact with my friends who also have mental health issues .

Last year I made a serious suicide attempt . I felt so totally desperate and hopeless and tired I simply could not go on . I had asked for help in the weeks leading up to my attempt. I had clearly stated that all I wanted in life - in fact what I wanted more than anything else was to be at peace and die . I told my worker I had made plans .

Ironically when you are suicidal everyone tells you to ask for help yet because I had been honest and made a difficult decision to ask for help I was told I didn't mean it . A few weeks later I was on a ventilator in intensive care and friends and family were told by staff to prepare for the worst as I was unlikely to make it through the night .

What is life like now ? Every day I wake up and want to die . I don't live I exist . I merely use " coping " strategies to get by . The pain within is unbearable . I feel so totally isolated and alone . The future looks hopeless and I don't know where to turn for help.

I have had short term psychotherapy which helped a little but that is about to end and I feel what now ?I see a CPN once every 3 weeks or so for what is essentially a pointless appointment . It doesn't seem to matter how difficult I am finding things it produces no response whatsoever . They don't listen and quite frankly I feel they don't seem to care .

Im so tired of the daily battle . I cant sleep and I cant eat . I have no motivation to do anything and nothing gives me any pleasure . I am 50 this year . My life has been pointless . I see no purpose to it . Is there anyone out there who can help ?

3 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

you gotta keep your head up - a good way to relax and get your mind right is to meditate and or work out etc. It's the more natural way to keep you moving because a lot of depression is caused by chemical imbalance. That's what a lot of medications are supposed to help with. But with my own personal experience with medications I advise not to take antidepressants. They don't work. Meditate, work out, anything that will get you going. 
  • Posted

I too have been diagnosed with BPD, I will be seeking a second opinion as the information used to state I was aggressive, have anger issues & unstable moods & relationships was so wrong. 

I also have been discharged from community services... But as it stood they were not helping or understanding me or the kind of support I needed.

Instead hey wanted me to use distraction methods to lessen self harm & suicidal thoughts. Things I taught myself as a teenager. To me sitting with a can learning to clap your hands is absolutely insulting but they count it as a diversion.

I was offered DBT but as I couldn't commit because of family crisises ... My son paralysed in RTA & the death of my twin sister...left me a shell.

I needed someone to talk to & just to listen , not a lot to ask.

I would ask for a 2nd opinion which you are entitled to.

Sending you big hugs & letting you know you are not alone xx

• Posted

Hi, im in that position of not being believed but i do see how its my own fault, but when i assume things it is me who is wrong and when cpn does, like is now

its how it is y'know. I tried to call her 3 times today and they must have a switch to ring out number for people the same as me. i know its intentional. i am scared that i will kill myself, i used to be more scared of dying than i am now, i am still scared, fearful is more how. im sad about the world around me, im sad

and i see i am hurting those and exposing them like my sisters kids have me as auntie i already see i am bad for them and i confuse them.

sorry

ihave hija

cked this, just 64 our stories are similar though i do find it or did find it helpful . i feel very very alone and it is unbearable, i have not been like this in a long long, long time.

how are you now? is there anuone else that feels this?

• Posted

Hi Jo !

?I do feel for you so much !

?Ive read around about my symptoms a lot and discovered that the way I feel fits with a disorder called complex PTSD and not BPD and this has been really helpful . Now I really relate to others online and in support groups . I'm no longer under the cmht as I chose to be discharged as I didn't find their input at all helpful but I did revisit the psychiatrist recently to get his opinion on complex PTSD and he agreed with me  . Life is still a struggle don't get me wrong but I'm now clear about what I'm struggling with . Many of the symptoms of both conditions overlap but I seem to be treated in a far less judgmental way now both by others and I'm also learning to be less judgmental of myself .

I've found that building up a relationship with my GP has been very helpful as he's so much more symptom oriented than diagnosis oriented . He sees and treats me as a whole person . Just talking to him every now and again but knowing as he's said that his door is always open is so reassuring .

I attend various support groups as and when and try to follow the rule to " take what works and leave the rest "

?I'm still on meds and I make no excuse for that - they don't take the pain away but they do ease it  and to me if something helps don't knock it . Other things that can help me are doing creative things like crafts or even just going to craft shops and reading craft magazines as I often lack confidence to start my own projects . I also love housey/interior design programmes and magazines and am constantly rearranging the furniture at home . And lists .....I'll make lists of everything and crazy though that seems it really helps too . Maybe it's about having some sort of order in this washing machine mind of mine !! Journaling is something I enjoy doing - I can sit in a coffee shop and drink endless cups of tea as I write my journal or read a book .  I enjoy books on psychology and self help

- again with the outlook of "taking what works and leaving the rest" . I enjoy inspirational and uplifting books . 

I know that exercise is so good for me but have to admit my intentions are always good but I'm

no gym bunny . I do try and get out of the house and walk somewhere every day - usually ending up in a tearoom - err no always ending up in a tea room lol ! . 

At the end of the day I've found it important and empowering to find what works for me -some or  none of this may work  for you - just keep trying out all sorts of things until you find what helps .

Keep hold of hope - even if its only the size of a tiny grain of sand - that's enough for now - and if that becomes too much then ask someone to lend you some of theirs until you can find your own .

?I'm still looking for that certain something inside that gives my life meaning and purpose . I'm searching and holding on to hope that someday I'll find it and I hope you will too  

Take care x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.