Boredom

Posted , 10 users are following.

I'm just bored.  I've already cooked today...and cleaned....and its only 3pm here....I feel like drinking because I had a random test yesterday and they can not possibly test me until next Monday. 

​I just do not know what to do with myself when I am this bored. I can't even go to an AA meeting because the next one in my area is at 5pm.

​I left all my medication at the hospital yesterday after a Pulmonary visit and i don't even feel like going to get it...actually I'm not going to get it...it is pouring rain here...and the highway is probably busy now for this time of day....I hate this feeling.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Misssy.  How are you, now?  I have not been able to access any posts since yesterday.  I don't know what your interests are... to help with relieving boredom.  Part of my problem with alcohol is my lack of interest in other things.  Do you take an anti- depressant medication?

On a positive note, I would think that your boredom stems from an active mind.  Are you interested in Puzzles, Games etc.?

I hope you come up with an alternative to the drink.

It is not easy.

All good wishes,

Alonangel 🎇

I am not really interested in anything... no hobbies... no concentration.

Drink is my consolation... for everything.

• Posted

Hi...IM THE SAME WAY.  NO INTERESTS. Sat around all day, thinking of drinking...being bored with my life.  Hating everyone. Fighting with my mother...watching TV...and then finally it was BED time.  I was never so happy for bedtime than I was yesterday smile.

Thank you for the ideas...but I'm like...nope...no puzzles...no games....just depression kicked in big time.

• Posted

Hi Missy,

It is strange, I have more than enough to keep me busy every day and I enjoy doing it but at my age, I can't wait to see the finished product, so I don't kow if I'm finding it hard work now or whether I'm bored with everything? i used to like teavelling a lot but my interest as wained in that part of my life too.

Having said that, the business keeps me tied down; I used to play music at various venues but I got bored with that too.

I guess with me, it's an age thing; I don't know; I've had a go at lot of things, none of which seem to interest me anymore.

I wonder if it's a feeling that I've exhausted my abilities without truly reaching my aspirations yet i should be well satisfied with what I have.

In short, I'm busy all the time but there's an element of boredom - feels strange.    

• Posted

Oh Heavens, Misssy !  Your reply left me wondering ....WHY are we like this?  Did the apathy come before the alcohol or did the alcohol trigger the lack of interest in everything else?  Chicken or egg ?!!

Well, there is a niche in the market for people like us.  I wish I knew what would ignite a little flicker of interest.  I could make a million' !

I hope today is good for you.

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

How are you Misssy? I'm new to forum but it seems like a great place to get support.

I know what you mean about the boredom, though I have other problem triggers for my drinking.

Do you watch tv series or read?

Soemthing like a steven king novel or series might keep you interested long enough to forget the booze

• Posted

Welcome!  Reading is a good idea....but I couldn't even move to pick up my book ...better today. Thank you.
    • Posted

I'm the same missy,if I wake up in the morning and I'm not working I think......what the hell am I going to do Allday?

When I come home from work at 2pm I think....what am I going to do for the rest of the day?

Of course I know what I'm going to do ....drinksad

• Posted

read books!! read books which changed my life and the best EVER was by an Australian prisoner who escapes and lands in Mumbai INdia with no money and this is a TRUE story....He was a heroin addict AND a bank robber which is why he was in jail!! His life became INSANE and all TRUE: Gregory David Roberts = "shantaram" in Hindi language it means something import...trust me you will be shocked!! Best of luck from Robin
    • Posted

Get a hobby or like Robin said, read a book, in fact do both. Medication will get you the first step, the second is down to you.

If you want motivation, just pretend you were older, and you're looking back on your life. Do you want the sum of your memories to be the blur of looking into a drink? You won't thank yourself for it, but by then it will be too late.

It is a lovely day out where I am, get outside. I've already been for a walk with the dog, let the chickens out on the allotment, aswell as feeding and watering them.

• Posted

Hi Robin,

I read this book a few years ago and yes, it totally blew me away too. This guy is amazing. He goes around giving talks about his experiences now. 

Yes, reading is a great distraction from drinking, but I find my mind is either in reading mode - which is great, and I can read for hours every day, or its just not, and I cant pick up a book for weeks.  But I would recommend anyone to read this book!

• Posted

great ideas! You have to keep your mind busy. Did you read the book I suggested? Shantaram written by Gregory L Davies..try it!! Robin
  • Posted

Hi misssy. Yes the forum has been quiet. And those mild misery days, when you can't be bothered are really hard. My saviour on those days is definately getting stuck into a good book( must get that book Robin meantioned). Or I catch up on abit of tv. Hope you got through the day and feel more positive today. 

Ive been to London to see my daughter, age 20, perform at Sadlers wells, dance theatre. Was amazing and I'm so proud of her. Was a difficult one for me as had to face ex husbands family and his new girlfriend. Nearly lost it at one point, and the bar beckoned but my sister managed to calm me down( no one saw this!). So I faced a few demons but survived!! 

Afterwards my daughter cryed in my arms as she was so relieved it all went well and I was there. So I'm feeling very happy!! My mum and dad were very proud!! Take care xx

• Posted

Hi

am now back home. Good holiday and didn't embarrass myself with drink which was good.

great to see such lovely pics of your daughter. You have a lot to be proud of and so glad you were able to see her with pride. Hope you are doing ok. I'm in my normal post holiday depression, why can't each day be like last week? I.e. drinks by the pool or pool swim up bar!! Horrendous journey there, son and family not awake when we arrived in minibus to pick them up. Arrived at airport to discover they'd left all the baby milk in taxi. Just caught plane by seconds, so all needed a drink. Arrived to find pushchair and car seat lost!! Eventually arrived safely and all needed drinks and food. Problem being, two drinks and they were fine, I wanted more!

• Posted

Good to have you back vickylou. Glad you had a good hols after the stressful start! I always go into a major depression after a holiday, though that was when I was still working. I'm hoping I can go on hols this year now I'm taking naltrexone. I haven't dared go for years as it seems pointless if you can't drink!

Yes it was good I made it to my daughters big performance and stayed sober. 

Major achievement x

• Posted

Well done you. A hell of an achievement and something to be so proud of. I remember being sober for my son's graduation and have pleasure looking back with pride, not embarrassment at the photos. Gold star for you.
    • Posted

You should be VERY PROUD!  I'm happy for you...your daughter will never foreget it... smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.