Both achillies in cast

Posted , 4 users are following.

Ok Here goes....

Fully ruptured 1 achillies playing rounders

Same day hopping into A&E torn the other.

Only X rayed the ruptured and said at 1st other only sprained.

After 3 doctors in A&E they decided I had torn the other and was hanging on by a thread.

This was all decided by hands feeling down leg.

No scans etc been put in cast for 3 months casts being changed every 4 weeks from toes down to 90°.

I have just over 1 week to go of my casts coming off and had no weight bearing at all in this time.

So anxious as been told when removed I will be walking out in my own shoes !!!!!!!!!!

Both legs have wasted and are very stiff.

Please can anyone tell me if this is right.....

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Wow that sounds horrific, but it sounds about right from what I understand is conservative treatment. I'm just 2 weeks into a single rupture, but in an aircast. I have cheated a couple of times to carefully wash and clean the foot, without moving it. 2 weeks time they'll start reducing the wedges, and I understand start to weight bare. After that time in cast, I'm sure they'll give you a good physio regime
    • Posted

Do you think they will send me home walking....having done both legs and been in cast for 3 months with no weight bearing and no good leg to accommodate the bad. I'm so nervous to even want to try sad
    • Posted

I really couldn't say... be honest with them about you concerns and fears. I can't imagine they'll just show you the door and push you out! Have you support at home? I know nothing of your background, but can only say I'm 64, reasonably fit and healthy and I've a working partner who helps; and I'm pretty mobile with crutches and crawling. After such an imobile time in your case, its going to a long haul.. but you will get there with care!
    • Posted

46 and was bike riding and swimming before I played rounders at work......I have conquered everything in my wheelchair and on knees......but can't imagine after not walking for 3 months walking out of there in my own shoes....madness
    • Posted

I have read that over doing it is the big danger when rehab starts; I had a sore tendon (from the gym) and was getting excellent physio so take it gently and do what they say!  My rupture happened when I stumbled and overstressed it, Bike and swimming sounds good but impact stuff doesnt sound a good idea.. but I'm just an engineer!
    • Posted

Don't worry won't be doing no running etc will stick with the bike and swimming. Thanks anyhow and good luck to you.
    • Posted

Please keep on posting updates its useful to see how it works out for people :-)
    • Posted

Will do..........off to hospital 7th to have cast removed and that will be 3 months....will post afterwards
    • Posted

I'm in on the 10th, first month for me so hope to be a bit more mobile... they even said I might be able to drive an automatic (left foot in boot) but that may be optomistic.....
    • Posted

Wow drive that would be good I was told you can drive when you can preform an emergency stop x
    • Posted

Thats why only in an automatic... but I've never driven one. Not sure if work would rent me one ... depeds how much they need me!

• Posted

Drear Michelle, after tearing my Achilles tendon twice on both feet, I feel like I can tell you that you will not be walking out in your own shoes.  I was always put into the boot and then physical therapy especially if your legs feels wasted and stiff.  In fact, I was put into a water machine to learn how to walk again.  It was intense!!  Let me know what happens!! 
    • Posted

Roslyn60816 should certainly be a great source for advice. Better than me.  Many health care workers have good ideas, but this person's been through allot!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.