Both achillies in cast

Posted , 4 users are following.

Ok Here goes....

Fully ruptured 1 achillies playing rounders

Same day hopping into A&E torn the other.

Only X rayed the ruptured and said at 1st other only sprained.

After 3 doctors in A&E they decided I had torn the other and was hanging on by a thread.

This was all decided by hands feeling down leg.

No scans etc been put in cast for 3 months casts being changed every 4 weeks from toes down to 90°.

I have just over 1 week to go of my casts coming off and had no weight bearing at all in this time.

So anxious as been told when removed I will be walking out in my own shoes !!!!!!!!!!

Both legs have wasted and are very stiff.

Please can anyone tell me if this is right.....

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I'd just go home without walking and start restoring your passive range of motion, and then your active range of motion.  After that add strengthening excercises. After all this I'd add standing assisted, then start standing.  After that try to walk.  I'd go in baby steps.  I think your body will give you an idea of what the timeline will be.  Watch out for tendonitis and excessive swelling.  This should be a long journey.  Do you have to stand and walk at work?

Ten months after surgery for a ruptured achilles I've still got problems.  I was sent to work 6 weeks after surgery which was a big mistake.  My job involves walking and standing a lot, so that messed me up.  My biggest problem now is achilles tendoinitis in both legs.

• Posted

Hi I'm working from home as have to drive an hour to get there and no public transport to get me there.

I do have private health care to get physio assistance but presume hospital will offer it to so will do both......

I tried stand in din on my casts yesterday with hands on wheelchair and the ache that went through the ruptured one was bad.

So really was wondering if they really will put me in my own shoes and am expected to walk. ...ridiculous if that the case I expect some kind of support and crutches as don't have a good leg to take my weight.

• Posted

I'd  get a used or new walker off Craig's list. Maybe some crutches, an air boot our two, and eventually a cane should be handy.  I'd just buy the stuff on your own unless they give it to you.  The air boots might be a bit over the top. I think it's best to start walking in the house only.  After that walking on flat roads and walk ways.

Flex your toes multiple times a day.  If they are not bending that's extra stress on the Achilles.  Try spelling the alphabet in the air like your writing it with your toe every morning as much as you can.

Also I bought my own Therabands off the internet for strengthening rather than waiting on physical therapist to give me them.  I also did some walking and stretching in the leisure pool at the health club.  I could go on and on.  Sorry if I'm spitting out to much. I'm just relaying somethings that helped me.  Many are just standard stuff though.

• Posted

Cheers hun. ....I will ask and get the stuff....If not will get it threw my rehabs works at work......just the anxiety of the not knowing but I certainly won't be going mad as sat here 3 months with no weight bearing. ..
    • Posted

I can imagine the anxiety your going through.  The other day I did my rehab.  Afterward I kept remembering the loud pop my Achilles made when it ruptured. . I started getting paranoid and scared thinking it could snap again.  I was short on sleep and my mind was messing me up.
    • Posted

That's wot I'm thinking and coz of both legs I haven't got a good one to take the strain or weight
  • Posted

Well last Tuesday went to hospital and had my cast removed.....and as was told my consultant advised me to stand up and start walking....I did stand but soon got back in my wheelchair as was being sent to physio to collect some crutches.....Once at physio I was taken to the gym and was asked to walk the parael bars....I managed with a bear flat foot....Once back to the end was given crutches to which I nearly fell over so was given a zipper frame....and was told to return for physio on Thursday. ...I found a pair of shoes with a heel height of about an inch and inserted some heel supports given by hospital ....This made it much easier to walk.....at physio once asked all the normal was given exercises to do 3x s a day advised the elevate as often as possible and ice pack.....asked how long before i can walk properly was advised for non surgical we looking at 12 weeks......its now 1 week in and I don't look forward to getting out of bed as the pain is emence. ....but I am persevering with the frame and not used my wheelchair....back to physio next week
    • Posted

What's a zipper frame?  It's not some sort of walker is it?

You should get a half dozen of those large gel ice packs.  I've got five. I like to keep 2 at work and 3 at home.  Real ice tends be be a pain.  Bags rupturing and leaking etc, plus it's harder to walk after icing.  

It's nice to know that they appear to have recognized your situation a bit.  

Good luck!

• Posted

Sounds good michelle!  I keep hearing that it takes a long time and patience to get back to mobility, but we will get there. My 4 week visit was good, very pleased with the healing.. the gap had dissapeared and the Thompson test worked fine.. but he warned its still weak so no weight without the boot. Boot off in bed, a bit swollen in the evening, so I'm combining a a good wash in a bowl with a cold water bowl.. seems to be improving, though the sole of the foot is sore. 1/3 wedge lifts out and return in a month, start bearing weight gently with crutch support. Company have lent me an automatic, so I'm back at work... mixed feelings to that one!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.