Botox for anal fissure

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I have had the Botox treatment done 6 days ago. I am drinking lots of water, getting as much fibre as possible from cereal and fruit and off spicy food. I am also taking laxatives and prunes to aid soft bowel movements. Everytime I have a BM I am in agony from pain that feels like something is cutting me in half. Is this normal? First one lasted 5 hours and the second one lasted 3 hours. The Consultant was supposed to perform an Excision and the Botox but told me after surgery that the fissure was too deep so I am not sure how far they went with the excision. For the last year this has been hell and I have tried all the creams and ointments. I don't feel like I have the strength anymore and losing hope.

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

botox usually peaks at the one month mark. it works pretty well for new fissures. try to be patient, you'll know whether it's worked after 2-3 months.

however, when a fissure is deep and chronic, then you need to get a LIS. this surgery has a high success rate.

• Posted

Thanks, I asked for the LIS but the consultant was reluctant to do it until we tried this. Its been a long year and its so hard to make people understand the extent of the pain and the impact it has on everything. I will push for the LIS if this doesn't work as there will be nothing else left to try. @

• Posted

i understand. they gave me botox twice before allowing me to have LIS. i had to beg for it as they kept putting it off because i'm a woman.

if botox doesn't work, then do push for a LIS

• Posted

yes defo Betty otherwise i would rather be dead, cant do much with a life like this really. I have been researching and found a clinic thats starting to do Ozone Rectal therapy soon and they said that its supposed to be a great way to try and heal fissures. Also Magnesium supplements help too.

• Posted

i've had 2 LIS. first one failed as it was such a conservative cut. second one was done correctly. no incontinence issues with any surgery.

• Posted

would combine the current course of botox treatment with diltiazem cream. i don't understand if surgery has been performed or not. a botox injection is not a surgery, but if you had an excision, then some pain is to be expected. spend more time sitting in warm water. you can even poo in a bathtub with warm water.

• Posted

Hi Damon, on the consent form it defo said Excision with botox but the surgeon wasn't clear as dashed in and out post surgery. All i remember him saying was gosh your fissure was very deep and your muscles are weak no wonder you were in so much pain! I Will try and take more soaks, thanks xx

• Posted

they wont do the it if your muscle is weak it will leave u with bowel incontinence

damon botox is not surgery but your put to sleep whilst they do whether or not they did anything else

hope you find some relief soon zara

• Posted

hi zara i had botox 4 werks ago been in the excrutiating pain you have

i think that is from the fissure i to suffer for hours after with spasmn and pressure pain

ive not worked for 4 weeks and struggle to sit to drive

ive been told at 3 weeks my botox hasnt worked im awaiting a pressure test then LIS

im desperate for it as my life is at a stop

be reassured the pain is normal with fissure

i have flax seeds sprinkled on cereal this helps ive been given stillagel anistetic which i syringe after a BM but im still in a lot of pain xx

• Posted

Hi Jenny, omg theres no end in sight, they told me after the surgery that i will get an appointment now after 3 months, its like they just don't get it and how its ok to hold out for 3 months now after waiting a year! I am off work too, only managed going as my employer saw i was suffering and put in some reasonable adjustments that cant last forever. I will have to keep contacting the GP or consultants secretary if things don't improve sorry to rant....i hope things get netter for us all xx

• Posted

honestly ive been shocked how i feel ive been left in such pain

i went and saw a private consultant but she wouldnt do anything as under another consultant as had had botox 2 weeks before

im desperate to get back to work and my life back

im waiting on a letter should arrive today regarding pressure test before LIS

• Posted

so sorry Jenny i feel your pain. i didnt have a BM yesterday but went today. There was more burning than sharp stinging pain today and didnt last for more than an hour and a half but its left me with a dull bum ache all day. I think external heammorroids are protuding out slightly which i have never had before. For a moment i thought i was having a rectal prolapse!

• Posted

i have that to somedays hemmorhoids what stoos me doing stuff is the all day bum ache 😦

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.