Bowel movements

Posted , 8 users are following.

hello ladies

i just wondered if anybody else had experienced my problem. I had an a and p repair at the end of Jan and bowels movements are ok one a day now but I still have to sit and wait a while as I dearnt push but I know I could do with going as I have that heavy feeling. Last night I did my yoga and ok I did afew planks and slow sit ups but I always hold my pelvic floor at the same time then when I get home I know I need the loo but it is slow transit well sometimes I do get fed up with waiting and pushed more last night. I hack had the most un comfortable day today and worried as it feels like the prolapse is back I took a laxido this morning to make things easier for me I hope I have not done any damage. Has anyone else experienced this please 😩😩

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Diane. I had posterior repair 13 weeks ago and like you struggling to get things moving along when I need to go. Scared to push too much. It's almost like it's stuck. I'm worried the op hasn't worked. Back on l lactulose again was not what I hoped for. Best of luck and hoping this is another slow progress stage. Xx

• Posted

Thx jo jo 

bm easier tonight hopefully due to laxido this a.m. I think I will take them afew times a week to keep things regular as it has been horrible today with that feeling of prolapse again just hope I strained things abit only I have took extra pain killers too which I know can cause constipation we can't win lol not!! Xx

• Posted

I found the best and most natural way to keep bowels moving was to drinks lots of water and eat fruit and fibre particularly at breakfast still works.
    • Posted

Hi nuala

yes will keep trying this thank you I eat brown bread too I think that helps xx

• Posted

Wow some girls are having a hard time well after I thought you would be normal by now. What us others reading the posts don't know though is the grade of prolapse prior & what limitations led to surgery being required. Your post-op lives are worse than my pre-op so sure as hell hasn't convinced me to go have posterior prolapse. None of these documented struggles would lead to anybody being convinced they would get their life back by getting repaired! I wouldn't even want to label them "repairs"! I feel for you all but what exactly is the point of this nasty posterior repair??? I'm very confused! Do ladies make the Surgeons explain exactly the outcome likely to be achieved by having surgery?

• Posted

That should read (sure as hell hasn't convinced me to go have.....) "posterior prolapse REPAIR"

• Posted

No one is trying to convince you of anything, they are just trying to get help and support from other women.  Negativity doesn't help.

If you want help and information about whether or not people feel it has improved their lives, start a new thread and ask.  I'm sure lots of recoveries have been fairly smooth (though being tired for a long time is normal) but you are more likely to see posts and questions when things go wrong, not when things go smoothly. That's to be expected.

If you have a mild prolapse that isn't symptomatic, you may not need surgery.  You might be totally taken care of by a pessary and/or pelvic floor PT.  That is a great solution if it will work for you.  I would definitely have gone a non-invasive route if it was a good option for me but it wasn't.

• Posted

I certainly wasn't asking ANYBODY to convince me to get posterior repair. Why in hell would I convince myself from what I only ever see here, to go ahead? It is a public forum! If you do need convincing only by reading various experiences here, then what I did mention was that posts here are just full of misery, & endless everyday struggles!! People don't necessarily read these just to dwell on other peoples miseries. It would be nice to read great outcomes but this site has none!! I'm not expecting to make the decision based mostly on experiences here!! Well if "negativity doesn't help" then this forum sure as hell is only full of that already so go figure what exactly your comment means!! As for the tiredness - I don't get that! I was no more tired after repair last year than any other day before or after! I believe that a lot of it is the necessity to lay around doing sweet pretty much nothing that winds down the body to a sedating state!!! The actual repair surgery has nothing physically connected to sleepiness than any other major surgery. It is the lack of being allowed to do much afterwards due to the fragility of the area of the surgery. I never went to bed during the day from Day 3 onwards, let alone slouched on couch with feet up ever!!!! Sure I didn't hoover or lift too many heavy things but my pre-op life continued post-op. I don't abuse my body before or after already. Lots of people come home more tired from a relaxing holiday than before they went purely because you've wound down your body so far. My Surgeon said "no running" & in fact he doesn't believe pounding pavements is any good for our bodies even without a prolapse already. It wears out joints faster too. (I'm 57 & not over weight or unfit). He said going for a good fast walk is just as beneficial health wise & doesn't do the damage running does. Our pelvic floors are fragile & more so from start of menopause so bouncing them every which way running can't do any good in that area at all. Some people maybe need it for mental health!! I set out to achieve 10,000 steps a day as often as is possible in my life. I don't get cycling at all & those horrible hard small seats that shove up against underneaths which physically can't be not causing damage. Lie on the floor and do cycling movements with legs! At least pelvic area is being a bit protected!

This forum has to be everyone to their own & nobody has to agree to others personal opinions. Otherwise it's just a sob story site of PC brigaders sucking up on mental wellbeing!! Now watch the PC Brigade "only my opinion is right" hit back now. Neither wonder Matron left!! I can see if anybody has differing views & doesn't just write sucky feel good stuff, then you are side lined & jumped on!!!! Experiences that aren't all just doom & gloom & ongoing struggles are just one sided!!! There are other experiences too!!! Forums are also for positive experiences too you know!!!!

• Posted

Laying on your back and doing cycling in the air is a strain on your pelvic floor, much worse than cycling would be (though the tiny seats are definitely uncomfortable).  Laying on the ground and doing any exercises with both feet in the air puts a lot of pressure on your pelvic floor.

I dont one think you understood what I was trying to say so I am not going to argue or continue to help hijack Diane's post.

I hope everything is ok, Diane and that you feel more normal soon!

• Posted

I was told by my gyny physio that cycling is a good exercise as its low impact to the pelvic floor. Just not to do hills for a while yet. As for the seats, I've cycles doe about 3 yrs and cover about 800miles a yr. just leisure, not commuting. I've started with a big springy seat but when you cycle distances as I do the big seat starts to rub in areas where it shouldn't. So I got a different one which was better but still hurt. So eventually I went to a cycle shop who put my butt on a sensor pad to see where my pressure points were on my bum then was given a small seat and told this would stop the friction in areas I shouldn't get it. And so you know it's the best seat I've ever had. So when you see cyclist with little seats that is why. Less contact equals less pressure points. I cycle coz I love being outside and it keeps me fit. Lying on a floor with legs in air isn't the best sceanary. So I wouldn't want to do that even if it was ideal. I like my 'me' time away from the house.

Don't think I'm getting at you dory as I'm not. I'm just replying to what you and Robyn had been discussing.

As for there being no positive posts on here, that is wrong as many woman including myself have posted good things when we've had results from Drs that things are all well. I think people tend to bypass those posts more and concentrate on offering advice if someone is having a hard time. I know I do. but this is just my opinion. There are many more out there with opinions too and we tend to respect those opinions.

• Posted

Very cool about the seat.  I didn't know they could do that.

• Posted

Yeah all clever technology how. 😊 X
    • Posted

Hi Dorry

thank you for your comments I think this forum is good for support good and bad do you know where Matron has gone ? X

• Posted

I don't know where she is or why she left.  I saw the post a while back about deciding to leave but then she changed her mind and decided to stay.  I don't know anything about the second, more recent, departure.

• Posted

Hi Diane. Before my A &P repair I was put on Procalapride for my bowels by a colorectal surgeon. Since my op I haven't seen him yet but have continued to take it as it keeps me regular without ant pushing. It's not a laxitive as such. I was told it naturally helps the bowel muscles to gently contract to get you moving without pushing. I also went to see a biofeedback nurse to see if I was using the correct muscle to gently push bm out instead of straining. And she said you should always sit for a minute or 2 to allow this muscle ( can't remember name of it. Stephanie would know. ) to relax.

Also my gyny physio has always told me to put feed up on a foot stool to allow correct position for bm as it helps to get muscle in right position to aid bm easier.

I had full pelvic prolapse including bowels so was under a urogynacologist and a colorectal surgeon.

Do you see a gyny physio coz they would advise you on this.

I've read on hear a lot of woman are on movicol which is supposed to be good. I would worry about taking something. As far as I'm concerned if a natural diet isn't enough to prevent me straining and prolapsing again then I'd rather take something to keep me regular.

Sorry for long reply. Hope this helps and makes sense.

Fi. X

• Posted

Hi Fi

thx for yr reply yes I do put my feet up while bm as I heard you r in a better position then.  I saw a gyn physio whilst in hospital and she gave me a leaflet with exercises in and went through some with me whilst still in hospital it was brilliant I do these every day not always as many times as its hard once u are back at work.  

do u know what gas happened to Matron I haven't been on the forum for a while thx xxx

• Posted

Not sure what happened to matron except some mentioned on here that she'd had a few people say unkind things to her on this site and she'd had enough. But like I say I'm sure if this was the case. But it's a shame. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.