Bowel movements changed after hip replacement.

Posted , 19 users are following.

Had hip replacement 9 weeks ago, everything going well but my bowel movements and consistency since the operation have changed. Has this happened to anyone else? I had spinal anesthetic and sedative, the recovery has been really good apart from lumpy feeling in thigh when sitting.....which I hope will wear off but would like to hear if anyone else has had bowel changes. Thanks all.

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, I'm glad your doing so well, it could be that your pain meds are causing your erm problem, codeine's renowned for bunging you up and so are many other pain meds, also your not very mobile compared to preop and maybe not eating quite so much, ring docs and ask for some fibre gel orange, nice and gentle on your stomachs and just takes a couple of days to work.

Plenty of fluids as well to keep you hydrated, hope it helps.

• Posted

dear marion,

warm welcome to the hippies forum ..

not sure how to respond to your question ... There was a change in my bowel movements maybe for about 10 days and then went back to normal (my normal) - 9 weeks seems to be a bit long for having problems bad enough for you to post a discussion about it --- have you seen your doctor about this ?  

what kind of problem is it ?   what have you tried so far? 

please let us know, okay ? we are with many here on the forum and happy to share our personal experiences -

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Thanks for responding, I don't think I explained myself very well...I have never had problems with constipation etc. In fact been very regular, 30 minutes after waking in the morning straight to the loo, good clear out...sorry to be so precise...and on with my day, it's just that things now are not the same as they were before the hip op. I am also experiencing lots and I mean lots of very explosive excess wind which I didn't have before...just wondered if anyone had had the same thing happen to them and does it calm down eventually.

• Posted

eek ... I understand - 

don't forget how medication and anesthesia affects everything in your body, including bowel movements -

have you checked the food you are eating?  If you are really worried, make an appointment with your doctor - maybe he can have some tests done and you get some peace of mind -

other than this I don't know what more to tell you ... again, my whole system was off ( no constipation though) for about 6-8 weeks - hair and nails, skin etc ... but returned to "normal"  - I also had to face the fact that I am getting older (just turned 69 ....)

angel blessings

• Posted

Thanks Renee....Yes thought about diet etc. But nothing has really changed, guess it's just the nature of the beast, just wondered if it was just me....age does create weird things to digestion, I am 65 and over the last 2/3 years my stomache has started, grumbling, rumbling, just moaning in general ..put it down to age but as I have never had digestion problems it takes a bit of getting used to, think my tolerance of dairy especially milk is not so good anymore. I should be grateful the hip is healing really well so should happy .... when did you have your hip op. .X

• Posted

last hip replacement surgery over a year ago ... 

This forum has been a part of my journey and still is ... I did not find the forum until 3 weeks post op from 1st THR ... Nothing prepares you for the post-op issues - nobody seems to know accept that people bounce right back and running marathons by 6 weeks ...

then I found the kindred spirits here !!

• Posted

I can no longer hold it in at all.  When I gotta go pee or poop that first twinge means go now.  It is to the point that I no longer want to do anything that involves my leaving the house.
    • Posted

Oh dear you sound so much worse than I am....has it been like this since your op and how long. ? I certainly don't have the control I used to have but can cope with it....wonder why the op hasaffects our bowel and bladder habits.

• Posted

how terrible ... 

I have the "can not hold it " issue too and it also limits my going out - can't stay away too long - on the other hand, I am visiting lovely cafes etc. where I have a cup of coffee and use the facilities ---

during the surgery pelvic area will be affected - did you have it checked?

try to get out, darling ... plan pit stops along the way ...it will make you feel better when you know where to go in case of ....

please keep in touch

love and light

renee

• Posted

I go about what I have to do, I pee before I leave, pee when I get there.  The do the same thing no matter where I have to stop.  When I get back home I usually have to pee right next to the car.  I can't make it into the house.  I don't stay lock up in the house, I raise goats so I'm out doing stuff all day.  Like right now I have to go out and work on my fence cause it ain't working.

• Posted

Hi Marion, for me the constipation pain was worse than my post-op pain! In fact I'd never suffered before & it was awful. I drank Lactulose for a good few weeks after my op. It's not a laxative but justs 'greases' the lining of your bowel to prevent 'sticking'. Good luck with your recovery x

• Posted

I couldn't go for days at a time then at 5 weeks I couldnt stop! I hope it settles!!!!😄😄

• Posted

Hi Marion, Like the others the meds bunged me up a bit, but I ate loads of veg etc, and was mostly ok. When I came off all my meds at week 4, I found that everything went straight through me...As soon as I had eaten, I was straight to the loo. That lasted for a couple of weeks I think. Maybe that's what you're? experiencing at the moment. Hopefully it will pass. Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Marion, Like the others the meds bunged me up a bit, but I ate loads of veg etc, and was mostly ok. When I came off all my meds at week 4, I found that everything went straight through me...As soon as I had eaten, I was straight to the loo. That lasted for a couple of weeks I think. Maybe that's what you're? experiencing at the moment. Hopefully it will pass. Good luck!

• Posted

Sorry didn't mean to post that twice!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.