Bowel movements changed after hip replacement.

Posted , 19 users are following.

Had hip replacement 9 weeks ago, everything going well but my bowel movements and consistency since the operation have changed. Has this happened to anyone else? I had spinal anesthetic and sedative, the recovery has been really good apart from lumpy feeling in thigh when sitting.....which I hope will wear off but would like to hear if anyone else has had bowel changes. Thanks all.

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Marion I had my hip replacement 3 years ago and have had trouble with my bowls ever since. I can't eat the foodsI used to and very often suffer with diarrhea which I take Lopamide for. Are you affected the same way?

• Posted

I'm one month out of posteriot THR surgery.

The first two days postop I was on oxycodone and didn't have much control.

After two days I quit opiods. Now only on tylenol.

The first week sitting on the toilet seat was so difficult and I couldn't find a seat-top that worked, so I cut up newspapers to sit on, which helped a little.

Now I am somewhat improved, and just use the bare seat, which is around knee-height, but it still feels contorted and I am lucky that I can wash up afterward because it is messy. Enough said.

• Posted

I am two weeks post-OP on my right hip replacement.

Post-OP there have been no drug changes with the exception of Warfarin.

I was warned about getting constipation, which never happened.

I had mild diarrhea at the beginning, now I have the extreme version of diarrhea where the slightest feeling means you are going NOW! Does anyone know if diarrhea can be related to blood thinners?

• Posted

I am two weeks post-OP on my right hip replacement.

Post-OP there have been no drug changes with the exception of Warfarin.

I was warned about getting constipation, which never happened.

I had mild diarrhea at the beginning, now I have the extreme version of diarrhea where the slightest feeling means you are going NOW! Does anyone know if diarrhea can be related to blood thinners?

• Posted

they give us strong antibiotics so maybe you need probiotics to restore your gut bugs to healthy balance, also meds are constipating. i take magnesium which helps

• Posted

Hi Marion,

my bowel moments are shocking since my hip op,honestly I can't hold it in any more.( sorry to be so precise) I am getting that I am having to wear something going out for fear i mess myself ( which I have done) was never a problem before this op.i am really getting worried about it.i had mine 4 months ago the same as you spinal and sedation..I hope you get back to normal soon pet x

• Posted

I had my hip op in jan 2018 and finally, ten months later, my bowel movements became normal again. I am sure it was a physical problem, and took that long to resolve.

• Posted

Hi my replacement was 2/52 now. Bowels and stomach have become upset. However my Potassium and sodium levels have been erratic. Need to wait till they calm down. Hence visit to Gp

• Posted

I had surgery on 8th January. usual constipation due to lack of mobility, thought it was getting better. 5 days ago I had a pain in my upper abdomen, felt like I was giving birth to an alien. Pain subsided in about 5 minutes and I've been gassy ever since with frequent bowel movements. I kind of dismissed the idea of a heart attack as seemed more like some IBS symptoms. I am going to discuss it with a doc to be on the safe side though. Interesting that so many people have bowel issues following hip surgery. I also had epidural and sedation. The suggestion that antibiotics may have cleaned us out too vigorously is also a good one. Am gonna try some probiotics for a week and see how I get on. Getting more pain in my back from having to sleep on it than I am in my hip and cant walk without a stick yet.

• Posted

Hi pet, I got my hip replacement on the 19th of September 2018 and it is only 2 weeks ago I managed to start walking without a stick, I still get pain also.I see a lot mentioning they got antibiotics ,,is that because of infection? I never had them.

also.my I B S has been through the roof lately more so.than ever before,hoping it will settle down ,never eaten as much Rennie's in my life as i have these few months.

I hope you get better soon x

• Posted

i think they give antibiotics routinely after hip surgery ... i am suspecting this has caused my ibs symptoms .. will ask the consultant at my 6 week check

• Posted

hi all fellow "hippies" im a 48 year young female ,,,

im currently 25 days post THR on left hip .

i had my surgery on the 22/01/19 ,, i was given laxatives from the day after my surgery ,, no reason or explanation given !!

im not a "regular" person anyway so didnt really give it much thought , ,, one week after surgery i still had'nt had a bowel movement and to be honest i probably hadnt had one for at least 11-12 days at this point ,, so visited my GP and was given 3 mini enemas and a box of laxido and told it should shift it !! ,, the next morning i was in considerably more discomfort , so returned to my GP. i was given a manual clearance ( very uncomfortable) ,, and given another 3 mini enemas to try ,, STILL NOTHING !! . The next morning i was in so much pain i had to visit A and E . once i eventually got to see a doctor she was horrified to hear that i hadnt had a movement for at least 13 days,, and told me i should have been sent to hospital the first time i saw my GP. at the hospital i was given a full enema which was " beyond horrific" ,, i can only compare the pain to labor and actual child birth but unfortunatley still without any result ,, after 14 hours i was admitted to the emergency surgery ward where i eventually saw a bowel surgeon who told me i was probably facing surgery to resolve the issue . 2 hours later i saw yet another surgeon who examined me and had to insert " mega" supposatories" ,, followed bu a nurse giving yet another enema ,,, thank god it eventually began to get things moving !! i was in hospital for a further 30 hours and given 2 bowel preps ,,

I really really want people to be aware that the medication that we are given post op ( mine namely morphine ) can have serious implications to your recovery ,, im thankful for my new hip and dont want to worry anyone who may be potentially having THR ,, but my advice is please do your research regarding post op complications !! x

• Posted

God what a palarver that you went through. I am 2 years older than you, never had any issues before surgery but at two weeks out, really struggled with the laxatives prescribed, I spoke to an oncologist friend of mine and she advised ditching them as they cause unnatural movements, advised me to take lactolose when I was up in the morning, and that was really helpful as I was no longer reaching for the crutches in the pitch dark at night when the unexpected cramps started, lactolose seemed to bring it about naturally within an hour or two and then fine for the rest of the day. Once off codeine it settled down and I no longer needed it. Aware that some folk with IBS and colitis/crohns will not advise this but stress people talk to their surgeon, GP or nurse if they have any problems prior to surgery.

• Posted

i had the same op and method of anesthetic two weeks ago. My poo is dark green and I dont know why. Is this normal?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.