bowel prep and colonoscopy experience

Posted , 57 users are following.

Having scanned the internet to find out about other people's advice and experience, I want to let anyone facing a colonoscopy know what was like for me. It was absolutely okay. People say the prep is the worst part and it was a bit tiresome. I did a two and a half day special diet followed by clear fluids only and Picolax. It was nearly 48hrs without food but the Picolax wasn't as bad as I expected. In fact, I kept thinking it couldn't be working as I wasn't glued to the loo. I think the main thing is to prepare and plan for the prep and the procedure - making sure of having all the things needed for the prep diet and for during the clear fluids and then prep. Barrier cream (Sudocream) and moist loo paper were helpful, and having done 2.5 days of the low fibre, high carb diet must have helped as well. The only real problem I had was that I worried that the Picolax wasn't being effective enough so I went for my appt in dread that my bowel wasn't clear. But the nurse explained that as long as you go through the stage where you're passing just watery stuff, it's okay. And it was.

Re the procedure itself - I had a good consultant and the nurses on the Unit were very nice. Only problem was a mix up with the time of my appointment which left me waiting longer than anticipated. I felt sick with anxiety, little sleep and the after - effects of the prep on arrival. However, I asked to be given as much sedation and pain relief as possible and told them I was anxious. The sedation took the edge of things as did the analgesic but I could grab the Entonox when needed for the times when the doctor was steering the tube around the bends. It was over quickly and there was no point where it felt really awful at all. I watched progress on the screen and felt absolutely fine afterwards, although a little out of it from the sedation of course. So my advice to anyone facing this procedure is to carefully read all the info the hospital send you, contact the Unit if you're concerned about any aspect of the procedure or prep, and follow the instructions to the finest detail. And to plan ahead and get everything in house that you need and that will help you through the prep. And don't be afraid to let them know you're anxious - if you are. I hope this helps you if you are worried about having this procedure done - the whole thing really was okay and nothing like what I'd built up in my mind and from reading one or two horror stories on the web.

12 likes, 146 replies

146 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Glad to hear that all went well welshsheep and everything was fine, at least your mind is at rest now.
  • Posted

I had a colonoscopy this morning, really it's nothing, to the point where if I needed another one I probably wouldn't even bother with a sedative, enjoyed watching then snip off some polyps on screen and the inside of my colon was fascinating.

Prep day with the vast quantity of moviprep was by far the worst, and even that was nowhere near as bad as expected, including being awake half the night with the noise my colon was making, followed by extreme diahorrea at 6am. (lots of people say moviprep tastes foul, but I didn't really think it had much tast at all - however do not drink sweet things with it or saltiness will be accentuated, stick to bitter drinks like lemon squash) Colonoscopy done about 10.30am, home on the sofa 2 hours later

• Posted

Well done, Red 42, glad it all went well for you, there are a lot of horror stories about having a colonoscopy and as you say it really isn't that bad, I certainly hope your post will help a lot of people.
  • Posted

Hi

I'm currently sat at home preparing for my colonoscopy tomorrow! I'm a little nervous...

I've taken my ten senna and nothing has happened! Waiting to take citramag.

To be honest I've been in pain for about four months so I'm just eager to get it done. They think it inflammatory bowel disease!

All these posts have calmed my nerves and I'm not even reading the negative ones!

• Posted

Hi Lauranew1982,

I had a different laxative to you and that didn't work as quickly as I was expecting but it did and the second dose worked a lot quicker.

I hope all goes well for you tomorrow and like me I expect you will be glad when it is out of the way so you know exactly what is wrong, in my case it was post infection IBS and diverticulitis.

I don't blame you not reading the negative posts, I did and nearly cancelled and I would still be worrying because it certainly wasn't as bad as some people say.

• Posted

Hi

Thought I'd like to add to the positive experiences of a colonoscopy.

I had mine today and the worse bit was having to wait two hours as they were running late.

I had IV painkillers and sedation. I was awake throughout and remember all of it. It was partly uncomfortable when he was moving around bends but that cramp didn't last long.

I was up and out in half an hour. Feeling a little spaced out and crampy but all in all not a terrible experience.

If I have to have another one I will not be anxious at all!

• Posted

I had my colonoscopy 3 days ago and want to reassure everyone that I need not have worried about it at all.

I was told to eat my normal food until 24 hrs prior to my appointment time, at which point I had to drink the first of 2 strong laxatives which produced results exactly 2 hrs later. On the day of the examination I had to repeat the laxative which kept me pinned to the loo for the next 3 hrs. On arrival at the clinic I was immediately seen by a nurse who went through the consent form with me and sent me to change into hosp gear. 5mins later a consultant introduced herself and took me into the examination room where I was made comfortable on a couch. A sedative was given via a vein in my hand, the lights were dimmed low and I felt an icy cold sensation, nothing more, as the examination began. I felt much too sleepy to watch it all on the tv screen and next I knew the tube was being removed, the lights came on and I was being wheeled into Recovery for an hour, a mere 41 mins after my appointment time. I was not given time to be nervous!! The doctor came to me after 50 mins and said everything was fine and that a small polyp had been removed.

Grateful thanks to the 3 gentle medics who made the experience absolutely painless for me.

• Posted

Got my first ever (and hopefully last) colonoscopy tomorrow morning and I'm only 20yrs old. Been following the special diet up til midday and have taken my 2 sachets of picolax. I am worried I am not "clean" enough as although it has all been watery since the first sachet (I had been to the loo as it were before I took the first one), its still brown in colour and very small bits in it. Don't want it all to have been a waste of time so hoping if I drink as much as poss tonight it'll all be ready for the morning!

Really quite nervous as the skin around the area is incredibly sore, i've tried baby wipes but that stings and bepanthemem - not sure how to spell it, but thats only usefull til the net time I go! Thats if I wasn't nervous enough!!! these comments have calmed be a little bit but hoping they'll give me plenty of sedation so I can't feel it, I don't mind watching its the pain and discomfort that worries me and trying not to clench! do the muscles relax leaving u unable to clench ? (I hope so) ..... However lucky enough to be NHS patient at a private hospital so hopefully getting the "best" care possible!!! I shall post how it goes (if i don't chicken out)

• Posted

Hey, I had drugs and it was fine, a bit pinchy when they turn the corner but I'd never worry about having another. My stools were still a little brown before I went and it was fine.

I used Vaseline on the toilet paper every time I went to the loo which helped...

You will be fine... In fact I'd look forward to it if it was private... Just relax and save your energy... The worse bit for me was feeling weak from not eating.

Let us know how it goes

• Posted

Hi

i'm really worried as i have been on the toilet for 15 hours after taking picolax a ducolax its still yellow when i go and i'm tired,fed up,and hungry i'm due to have my colonoscopy this afternoon and scared the toilet visits won't stop. Now i'm scared to go through with my colonoscopy worried i'm still not cleared . I can't tell when i need to go so i have attached myself to the loo.

• Posted

Don't worry, I was still going to the toilet up till I left the house to go to the hospital from the afternoon before but then it stopped and it was fine, the consultant said to me don't worry if you pass something while he was doing the colonoscopy, it is my fault not yours but I didn't, I hope all goes well.
  • Posted

Hi, I have my colonoscopy tomorrow morning and I've been on a low fibre diet for two days and no solids today, I took picolax at 8am and I've only been to the loo about 4 times and it's watery. I'm anxious that the laxative isn't working and I'll be sent back home tomorrow!! Not sure if this is normal and by eating a low fibre diet helped!! I'm due to take my second sachet at 5pm so will see what happens then but I hope I don't have to do it all over again... :-(
  • Posted

HI I shouldn't worry too much the second dose seems to work more than the first, well it did for me, I shouldn't think you would be sent home as if you have taken the doses as asked it isn't your fault, the consultant said to me 'don't worry if anything leaks out while I'm doing this, it's my fault not yours' nothing did but it obviously must do sometimes. Hope all goes well tomorrow. smile
  • Posted

please don't worry, mala2. It's the 2nd laxative that really clears everything out.

You'll be fine tomorrow so come back here and tell us all about it.

• Posted

Hi, I had my colonoscopy this morning and all went well, I have no polyps and biopsy has been sent to the lab, Just to say it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The only thing I didn't like was the lack of food for three days especially no solids yesterday, all I had was water, apple juice, sprite, coffee and tea and the Picolax tasted like lemon so it wasn't bad and the second sachet was worse as it gave me stomach pain than the first one but I only went to the toilet about three times and I didnt's have to wake in the middle of the night or anything. My procedure was at 8am, I was the first patient and I was very nervous but it was over before you know it and didn't feel a thing.

Please do carry on messaging on these forums they are really helpful and reassuring so I thank you for your kind messages coz some of the websites make it sound worse than it is!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.