bowel prep and colonoscopy experience

Posted , 57 users are following.

Having scanned the internet to find out about other people's advice and experience, I want to let anyone facing a colonoscopy know what was like for me. It was absolutely okay. People say the prep is the worst part and it was a bit tiresome. I did a two and a half day special diet followed by clear fluids only and Picolax. It was nearly 48hrs without food but the Picolax wasn't as bad as I expected. In fact, I kept thinking it couldn't be working as I wasn't glued to the loo. I think the main thing is to prepare and plan for the prep and the procedure - making sure of having all the things needed for the prep diet and for during the clear fluids and then prep. Barrier cream (Sudocream) and moist loo paper were helpful, and having done 2.5 days of the low fibre, high carb diet must have helped as well. The only real problem I had was that I worried that the Picolax wasn't being effective enough so I went for my appt in dread that my bowel wasn't clear. But the nurse explained that as long as you go through the stage where you're passing just watery stuff, it's okay. And it was.

Re the procedure itself - I had a good consultant and the nurses on the Unit were very nice. Only problem was a mix up with the time of my appointment which left me waiting longer than anticipated. I felt sick with anxiety, little sleep and the after - effects of the prep on arrival. However, I asked to be given as much sedation and pain relief as possible and told them I was anxious. The sedation took the edge of things as did the analgesic but I could grab the Entonox when needed for the times when the doctor was steering the tube around the bends. It was over quickly and there was no point where it felt really awful at all. I watched progress on the screen and felt absolutely fine afterwards, although a little out of it from the sedation of course. So my advice to anyone facing this procedure is to carefully read all the info the hospital send you, contact the Unit if you're concerned about any aspect of the procedure or prep, and follow the instructions to the finest detail. And to plan ahead and get everything in house that you need and that will help you through the prep. And don't be afraid to let them know you're anxious - if you are. I hope this helps you if you are worried about having this procedure done - the whole thing really was okay and nothing like what I'd built up in my mind and from reading one or two horror stories on the web.

12 likes, 146 replies

146 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Mala,

Pleased to hear that all went well and that there are no polyps. I must admit I nearly cancelled mine after reading a lot of things on the Internet but it isn't as bad as a lot of people say.

• Posted

good to read that your colonoscopy was painless, mala2.........we told you so smile

Thx for coming back to relate your experience.

• Posted

I have got to have a colonoscopy next Fri the 12th July. I had a sigmoidoscopy last year which revealed two hemorroids which The lovely colorectal nurse said was the cause of my occasional bleeding.

My routine screening test was due this and the first sample showed hidden blood. The second test also had some blood. Now the colonosopy !!! I just dont know how I am going to fast as I get the shakes and feel terrible. This will be the worst part for me and I know half way through the day I will give up and eat.

Not good without food. watch this space. .....

• Posted

Hope all goes well Cat16, I'm sure it will, the fasting isn't as bad as it seems, I bought so much stuff, apple juice, chicken OXO's, made jellies, clear soup but I found that I didn't use all I had got ready and just having the liquid was fine. I didn't miss the solid food for the day. Let s know how you get on.
  • Posted

Hi CMC thank you for replying. I never knew you could have things like jellies and clear soup and stuff. I havent actually read my instructions as they have went to my friends address. I do know I have two sachets to take of picolax. First in morning at 8am with 150ml of water and second at 2pm. Ive not to eat from 8 am and going in hospital next day at 8 am. I have heard of some people taking another medicine called Klean something and that has to be taken with 4 litres of liquid !!! Thats absurd in todays day and age.

I get really bad shakes without food and the more I think of it the worse I get and then I start with a panic attack. Maybe they should take me into hospital and knock me out !! I rang the Colorectal Endoscopist team who done my test last year. Someone is ringing me back tomorrow. Was everything ok with yours. Hope so.

Thanks again for reply. It always helps to talk to someone. Cat....

• Posted

Hi Cat, I found the OXO the best as it seemed more like food and it was tasty. I took picolax , it tastes a bit like lemon, thank goodness we didn't have to have the one with 4 litres, don't think I could have drunk all that.

Yes everything was fine with me, found I had post infection IBS, and I'm sure it will be with you as well. The infection I had had brought on anxiety and I lost my appetite for a few months and when I had to have the colonoscopy my appetite was just coming back so I was worried that it would go again but it didn't. Good Luck

Christine.

• Posted

Hi Cmc46,

you were right i did stop going but well after the colonoscopy i even went when i was having the

procedure they sedated me but i felt everything i was very uncomfortable and was in pain so sedation

didn't work. for some reason i wasn't cleared but i could see everything and, i got my results and

everything was fine the prep part was not a great experience but it was worth it for the peace of mind and

would like to thank you as i was very nervous and you reassured me . I would just like to say to everyone

who is going to have any type of colon cleanse or procedure good luck.

Claudette1

• Posted

Hi Christine thanks for advice. Glad all was ok with you. I have suffered IBS for the past 20 years but since I got put on Amitriptyline it has eased a lot. Glad you got ur appetite back. I have never had that problem as I love my food. Thats why I'm worried about this starvation before the colonoscopy. I have never fasted for that long !! Yes dont understand why some folk get the 4 litre stuff. I bet it depends on the part of the country you live. I have friends in Bedfordshire and Glasgow who have had the four litre stuff. The oxo sounds good. I thought you would not be allowed jelly but I dont suppose its not solid.

Thanks. keep well Cat

• Posted

Thanks Claudette for your info. I hope its worth the peace of mind to get starved. Dreading the

whole thing Cat

• Posted

Hi Claudette, so pleased everything was alright and it is certainly worth going through a bit of discomfort for peace of mind and even if something was found at least something can be done to help to get better again once they know what they are dealing with. Christine.
  • Posted

thats ok Cat16,

I must say people did say the ring sting was dreadful i felt hungry but trying to get comfortable on the toilet

was a real chore the picolax wasn't that bad to drink i mixed it with flavoured water but must admit it worked

after 2 hours but when i took the 2nd sachet then it really kicked in the ducolax gave me cramps. what an

experience that was still have ibs though

Claudette1

• Posted

Hi Christine thanks for advice. Glad all was ok with you. I have suffered IBS for the past 20 years but since I got put on Amitriptyline it has eased a lot. Glad you got ur appetite back. I have never had that problem as I love my food. Thats why I'm worried about this starvation before the colonoscopy. I have never fasted for that long !! Yes dont understand why some folk get the 4 litre stuff. I bet it depends on the part of the country you live. I have friends in Bedfordshire and Glasgow who have had the four litre stuff. The oxo sounds good. I thought you would not be allowed jelly but I dont suppose its not solid.

Thanks. keep well Cat

• Posted

Hi Claudette are you saying you had to take the picolax as well as dulcolax ?? I have two sachets of picolax to take. what is the ring sting or am I thick :-)
  • Posted

I too am having a colonoscopy on Friday 12th July (my birthday the next day, big party planned now cancelled) I had a polyp found on Thursday which needs removing, I didn't have sedation or gas and air for that procedure and actually didn't feel anything at all. Do you think I will need sedation for this? I really do not do well with sedatives, makes me shake and cry..... Also, there is a lot of talk about diet etc for a few days before, can anyone be more specific? I have never tried not eating for a day or two lol and what top tips for soothing ring sting? been a long time since I had chronic squits or babies with nappy rash.

At least the sun is shining!!!!

• Posted

Vaseline helps for the stingy ring smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.