Bowel problems following fundoplication

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi, I had my fundoplication surgery in March, since my op I am struggling to get back onto normal food without being in pain or needing to run to the loo. I have lost nearly 2 stone and I am seriously lacking in energy. I have had a colonscopy which didn't show much and I have been started on medication for IBS. I have also Been started on anti depressants as my gp felt it is related to anxiety. I'm going back to see him on Monday to ask for some blood tests. I was wondering if anyone has been in the same boat as me following their  fundoplication surgery.

2 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello, I had my procedure on Monday so I am well aware of the difficulties of returning to " normal " digestion again & the many things that can go wrong during Surgery.

i can't offer any advice but I think I'd be asking for a second opinion if your first medical team aren't getting anywhere. Easy to say but not easy to do I know. Have you seen a dietician recently ? Where did you have your initial procedure ? 

• Posted

Hi:

Did you have any problems with gas build up before the surgery, such as burping and bloating?  What was your original issue?  Regards, Jonathan

• Posted

Yes I did have occasional bloating and I used to belch constantly!!
    • Posted

Like many of us that have acid reflux, you likely also had 2 or 3 different issues going on at the same time.  After you get the fundoplication then all the gas that can not be burped now has to go out the other way, causing other issues like diarrhea.  You may have over population of bad bacteria.  I would suggest killing off the bad bacteria and re-populating with good bacteria.  The way I did this is to take 2 Pepto Bismol every two hours for 8 hours, and eating some probiotic yogurt every hour.  Keep eating regular meals during this time.   Then after this treatment eat 1 cup of yogurt every morning 1 hour before breakfast.  Drink a full glass of water right after the yogurt.  That way the good bacteria survives through the stomach.  If you want to you can sprinkle some probiotic powder on the yogurt.  Try this and let me know if it helps.  Unfortuneatl,y some countries do not have access to Pepto Bismol.
    • Posted

Thankyou for your advice Jonathan, I'll definitely give this a try!! Pepto bismal is readily available in this country. 
    • Posted

I had ibs before my procedure and had it under control. After procedure it got extremely worse and can't get it under control. Gonna try pepti and yogurt treatment can you give me some idea of how long it before I start seeing results. Am desperate to try anything

• Posted

Hi Gaz,

Sorry you are suffering so much discomfort! Sounds like you have got dumping syndrome - it takes time for your stomach and bowels to adjust after a fundoplication. Personally I had more issues with constipation - took me 10 weeks to get back to normality. Did you have a full 360 wrap or a partial? 360 wraps are more likely to give you dumping syndrome - it is such a radical change to your body it takes a long time to settle down. You have to also consider that your body pre-op was loaded with anti-reflux meds that affect your bowels natural bacteria - I ended up taking digestive enzymes to help build my bacteria back up after my op, and have finally been able to stop taking them now. It's not an easy road - if I was in your shoes I think I'd be asking advice from my surgeon - hope you feel better soon!

• Posted

Thankyou Glennie, I'll give anything a try !!! I had the 360, so what you are saying makes sense to me!! I have researched dumping syndrome earlier on at the beginning of my symptoms. I'm seeing my consultant on Thursday so hopefully I'll get more advice. Thanks again!!! 
  • Posted

sorry you are suffering. I had my op last year and really regret it. I have felt so ill since. Chronic diarrhea, discomfort, flatulence, and chronic sweating. I dont eat gluten or dairy or anything much really. Now the return of the breathing problems. Feel like going to A & E most days as I cant carry on like this. I have even lost my job as I cant leave the house due to the trots. No one seems to know what do do with me.
    • Posted

My uncle has partial pancreatic failure and is unable to produce the enzymes needed to digest food.  He has the same symptoms you have if he does not take high doses of enzymes.  He take prescription Creon and is okay as long as he takes it.  I would suggest you try an enzyme capsule with each meal, and try not to snack much between meals.   What do you think?
    • Posted

I will look into trying this - many thanks. I'm just so fed up - it's like the experts wash their hands of you once you've had an op. I think we end up being our own doctors eventually. I had no digestive issues until I had my g/b out a couple of years ago. I try and eat healthy (very rarely alcohol), plenty of fruit, veg - nothing fried, no coffee, dairy, red meat. I only graze now anyway as normal portions make me feel so full. It is really debilitating. No one told me I would suffer like this - had I known I would not have had the op.
    • Posted

I at my wits end a year and a half after the fundoplication and a year since the supposed takedown and repeat repair of hernia repair that was 3 times the one I had before other surgeries due to the excessive wretch in and determined heaving. I still can't vomit. If sick I dry heave for hours on end, I'm always having bloating, like Im 8 months preggo, reflux is back, the asthma it was initially intended to help didn't get even 1% better. I am having rapid sugar spikes due drops daily. Today I've been in the 50s 3 times. I'm not diabetic. I really don't think he took it down as

he claims. Seeing another Gastroenterologist / surgeon in a week. Praying for answers. I your pain, literally. 😢😫🤢😷best of luck to you.

Sincerely,

Cindy G

• Posted

Please proof read before you post.   Unfortunately, doctors can only offer what they know.  They may do radical surgeries hoping it will work.  Because of the nature of acid reflux pain, a person can get desperate and submit to surgical solutions.  I almost did it also.  I also don't understand how this is affecting your blood glucose.  If you can send me a list of your current medications, I may be able to help.  In the meantime, I would suggest organic probiotic yogurt first thing in the morning.  Then a tall glass of warmed water.  You may also want to try taking beano enzymes with each meal to see if that helps reduce the gas production.  I do know that an injured stomach or gastritis condition can cause the stomach to make gas.  200 units of natural vitamin E daily can help heal the stomach.  A five source magnesium like ultramag can also help heal.  John

• Posted

Oh my gosh. I'm in agony since the Nissen fundoplication surgery!  Surgeon said my new stomach issue are not related. It's been 6-8 weeks since surgery and my symptoms are cramps, gas diarrhea constipation horrible pain!

• Posted

The fundoplication surgery is not a perfect solution.  It is a desperate act to deal with a complex problem.  I don't think your doctor is being honest with you.  These are the main side effects of this surgery.  The tightened esophageal area now traps any gas down, there is no way out.  This gas then causes pressure in areas like the small intestine which then causes spasms and pain.  Unfortunately, healthy foods cause the most gas.  Eventually you may learn how to burp the gas out.  You might want to try eating probiotic yogurt often.  Good bacteria makes less gas.  There are some medications that might help.  One is gasx and the other is beano.  But proceed with caution. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.