Bowel problems following fundoplication

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi, I had my fundoplication surgery in March, since my op I am struggling to get back onto normal food without being in pain or needing to run to the loo. I have lost nearly 2 stone and I am seriously lacking in energy. I have had a colonscopy which didn't show much and I have been started on medication for IBS. I have also Been started on anti depressants as my gp felt it is related to anxiety. I'm going back to see him on Monday to ask for some blood tests. I was wondering if anyone has been in the same boat as me following their  fundoplication surgery.

2 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had mine almost 5 years ago and only just discovered what was causing my symptoms. My son discovered "dumping syndrome" a few weeks ago and my life has changed. I only had to do two things. Most important: don't drink fluids and solids at the same time. I drink water or anything else an hour after finishing a meal or snack. This has stopped my having to race to the bathroom almost entirely. I also have started snacking more during the day--nuts, an apple, some cheese. For the last several years I have eaten mostly one meal a day, usually dinner. I hated eating because it always led to dumping. Looking up dmping syndrome will show some other things but these two have made all the difference for me. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.