Box unopened

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I have my first box of Ramipril and it remains unopened and sat on my desk. My BP is 160/103 and I am 45 years old. The thought of taking this stuff for the rest of my life is causing me some concern. I am losing wait due to walking 30 minutes a day and I have changed my diet in an attempt to reduce BP so I do not have to start this medication. We shall see!

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

- I think I should write to you... open the box. I have just posted my experience and as I said in there, in not so many words - if I don't take these tablets - I may have a stroke, heart attack or worse die.

I am on day 2, scared of the unknown. I have spent 6+ months trying to resolve this with alternative methods diet/exercise etc., I am not an advocate of pharmaceutically produced (anything!!) and have a health degree however, don't want to die just yet. Or be incapacitated for the rest of my natural life with someone having to look after me.

So, open the box. Yes there are possible side effects but are these worse than not being here?

I am 48 female and have a lot of life in me yet.

Happy to chat.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply and the point you make is duly noted. I have decided to pay for a full medical examination, I think it is called a well man check at a private hospital. Once this has been completed and the signs are that there is no specific reason for my bP to be high then I will open the box and take the medication.
  • Posted

If you do decide to \"open the box\" ~ watch out for the COUGH!
  • Posted

hi.

I was given my first 2 boxes of these last night, the doctor had fitted me with a 24hr blood test monitor and apart from when i was watching telly or alseep my blood pressure was about 145/96 peaking at 160/103 whilst going for my 30min lunchtime walk. (weight 12 stone or 3ibs less if been running yuk..ha ha)

I know just how you feel I turned 38 last week, but lost all male members in my family due to heart issues, and even though I don't want to take the tablets I feel I have to for the sakes of my family, including my 5 year and 2 year old boys...

exercise, can help blood pressure but didn't help me,,sorry about the waffle but this is what I currently do,

I commute to work and have been for the past 2 years. 6mile round trip 5 days per week.

joined to local running club this year, and run 4 times per week, averaging 150miles per month, and taking part in the silverstone half marathon in march this year. (1hr 42mins) and raised money for the british heart foundation....

that lot didn't change my blood pressure one jot.

its worth getting a 24hr blood pressure test carried out, as so many people get high readings only whilst at the doctors...

good luck.

paul.

• Posted

I agree that although scary one does have to take notice of genetic history. My dad died of heart attack at 63 - he lived the cleanest life no smoking, healthy diet, no alcohol, his dad had heart attack at same age and brother had bypass surgery. I have been diagnosed with high BP, I'm 50, female, on 10mg Ramipril, only side effect buzzing in ears. I could die too at 60. i drink wine most evenings, am busy but don't exercise and am vegetarian. Who knows what'll happen but i know in the short term on the tablets I am so much calmer...
  • Posted

Yeh, me too. Totally irratic Bp. Tried managing it for years. Lifelong veggie, swim, yoga the lot but lost the battle. Nothing left to manage. The hardest thing I found was giving up plasma (blood) donation. Done it for near 40 years - last 15 years every 4 weeks for plasma. But no more, near broke my heart sad On my third tab, no cough yet (fingers crossed) but a lot of water to go under the bridge yet. Helped me get started reading the threads on here so keep posting to let me/others know how you all get on, side effects and, hey yes, stayin alive :D
  • Posted

I'm in my 50's and I've been taking Ramipril for 7 mths now. I started off on a low dose and had it increased to 10mg over a few weeks as my bp was 200/120. I also need to take Bendroflumethiazide 2.5mg and Zanidip 20mg to control my bp which I'm pleased to say is now around 150/ 75 on average. I had a slight cough at first with the Ramipril which did settle down fairly quickly. I'm also asthmatic but on the whole I don't feel that the medications that I take for hbp are having any noticeable adverse side effects on my general health. I was worried at first at the unexpected severity of my bp problem and all the meds that I have to take to control it. My GP did try several different ones till we were both happy that the treatment was working adequately and I would say to anyone, give Ramipril a try and a chance if it's offered. There is everything to gain if it works and other options if it doesn't.
  • Posted

Open the box!!!!

I am 31 and have been on and off BP tablets for the last 10 years. My Blood Pressure while pregnant rose to 170/110 and was put on an old style tablet which while safe during pregnancy made me feel awful. I think these tablets are the best I have used yet and are managing my blood pressure very well. ( I am not overwieght and have a healthy lifestyle so high BP is unexplained) I do not like the thought of being on tabs for the rest of my life although with a BP of around 150/95 it may be so, although am hoping it is a short term thing!

• Posted

I am taking Ramipril too for HBP. I started out on Lisinopril, which gave me horrendous palpitations, to the point I was sent to a consultant to check out how my heart was doing. Thank God, it's all looking OK, but my tablets were changed and I was put on Plendil (for three days!) which gave me king-size headaches that even a migraine wouldn't have matched. (I know, as I am a migraine sufferer).

I was then put on Ramipril which is part of the same 'family' as Lisinopril and although I wasn't experiencing the 'dreaded cough' to start out with, or the 'palpitations' that Lisinopril gave, the symptoms are starting to come back.

However, having read all the threads in this particular category, I have to agree that taking the pills for HBP is better than suffering a horrendous stroke or other illness associated with HBP.

I worked with stroke suffers for three years, and it is NOT a pleasant illness, so before giving up your current prescription without your doctor's advice or NOT 'opening the box!' take some time to think why you have been prescribed these pills.

Analyze with the following formula: 'What is the BEST thing that can happen to me if I take these tablets?'

'What is the WORST thing that can happen to me if I do not take them?'

Health (whether you need to maintain it with or without pills) is better than being prematurely dead! Best wishes to all. :wink:

• Posted

Hi Sassy

I totally agree with your message Im 40 and by total chance my blood pressure was found to be 240/140 I was rushed to hospital and then sent home with medication. It has taken quite a while to get my head round it all i dont smoke,drink excessivley eat very healthy and cycle 6 miles a day to be healthy it all seemed so unfair then I got my mind to thinking hey its better than being dead!I now feel it was a small miracle as this silent killer was found and Im grateful for the tabs now and also make sure I enjoy life as much as I can because you never know the day!

take care all

fleetwood x

• Posted

Hello everyone, Don't worry about taking meds for high b.p. Been taking atenalol for ten years also bendrofluazide, for about five, hubby, also on ramipril for about five years, no side effects whatsoever, both have family history of stroke and heart disease, know which I'd rather have, teeny tablets a day, or high b.p.! Doc wouldn't prescribe it if you didn't need it. The drugs won't kill you--the alternative might!! :P
  • Posted

I wrestled with my 'borderline' BP for several years. I'm a non-smoker, hardly ever drink, eat a well balanced diet, walk for miles. I tried all kinds of regimes including homeopathy and health supplements. I tried yoga and various other relaxation techniques but in the end the genetics are what they are. There is some history of heart disease in the family, however, my grandmother was treated for high BP for more than fifty years and although she died of heart failure, she was in her 92nd year!

Ramipril has stabilised my BP and in turn I feel more relaxed which in turn means that my BP stays within safe readings.

Open the box.

Very best wishes.

• Posted

Ah ha!! I am not alone..gud gud..yes I have also kept the 'box' aside and tried my best to keep the elusive/varying BP in place(exercise,reduce/avoid salt,balance diet, and everything thats adviced to keep the pumping in order) but in vain. I am a vegetarian, dont smoke, dont drink alcohol..still it happened, the rise in BP. :evil: ..

Well, I started the drug only 2 weeks ago, and yet to see any serious side effect.

Open the box mate. peace.

cheers.

• Posted

I too have just been prescribed my first box, I've been a tai Chi/yoga practioner for years but just can't take the chance of a stroke...my brother had a stroke at 45 {although he was 8 stones heavier than me!} and I'm 42, so, I'm a little worried at my bp, which is 160/100...I've got a little boy and would rather take the pills, even though it's against everything I've practised, than having him have a dad who can't play with him.

Sometimes, whatever life style change we make, it's just one of those things, some of us just need to take the pills, I guess.

• Posted

Hi all. I am 61 and was today prescribed ramipril too as my BP is too high. For a long time this was managed fine on Benzefluride only with a low does Statin for cholestrol control. I read the patient leaflet and almost threw the box in the rubbish bin there and then as couldn't face the thought of the potential side effects!! :cry:

Now, having read the above comments I have had a re-think and will give the pills a go...However, this is still with some trepidation on my part, but given my brother and sister died from heart failure aged 66 & 67 there must be some degree of sense here. Glad I am not alone. Will come back in a week or so and let you all know how I get on. :shock:

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.