BP and insomnia

Posted , 4 users are following.

My hypertension had been pretty much under control in the past two years and I was down 12.5 mg of losartan a day.

With worsening insomnia perhaps two sleeps of about two hours and a later dose between 6 and 7.30 am my BP in the past two or there months has been very erratic and for the first time my brain and body are feeling the effects of it. I'm happy if my BP is around the 140/80 mark but I have been getting readings of 210+/110 but my heart rate stays around 70 bpm. I do have a pacemaker and I'm in permanent AF although I mostly do not notice it even though the pacemaker clinic recently told me that it had recorded an instance of 191 bpm just after midnight the previous week. If I increase losartan to 25mg morning and night or perhaps if I'm very relaxed by bed time it can go down to 114/69 but by morning it is mostly up to about 180/90.

When I waken in the night I don't lay there worrying it about I get for about 45 minutes each time and have some hot milk and a biscuit. I've been taking CBD oil for the past six months. It's made me more relaxed about the situation but has not helped my insomnia.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It sounds like you understand the proper behavioral treatment of the insomnia, but it still remains a problem, what do your doctors say about the insomnia itself? If that goes on a long time it can certainly aggravate other conditions like your BP.

I've had some myself but never really had it treated, either, but I'm sure most doctors would be happy to offer various pills for you to try? More than that it would be good to figure out what is causing it - mine was caused by another medical condition, it wasn't really any secret.

• Posted

My doctor has given me pills that I did not want or take as that is only a temporary answer. When I had a situation like this many years ago I did take Mogadon. One became two and two became another two during the night. It too a long time to get off them.

I know the reason. It is due to Fluorquinolone Toxicity Syndrome. I was prescribed that drug in 2013 when I had prostatitis and the hospital could not get a normal catheter in prior to my aortic valve replacement and had to fit a supra pubic one. It caused what is often the first reaction tendonitis. I wondered how I got tendonitis sitting around in hospital for a week. It cleared up after ultrasound treatment and physio, I was later twice prescribed it and stopped it each time after two days when tendon pain started again.

This drug can lay dormant for a long time and in my case about four years later it was triggered by two other drugs I was prescribed. This time I got many other side effects including neuropathy in my left leg and insomnia.

There is a Cipro Fluoroquinolone Forum if you are interested.

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/fluoroquinolone-toxicity-syndrome-427305

• Posted

That's new to me, so don't have anything specific to offer, besides what you could dig up on any sleep disturbance search.

Sounds pretty awful, but so many of these drugs we "have" to take for something, come with side-effects. Have to play the hand we're dealt I guess.

• Posted

have you tried adding ACE?

• Posted

Ace inhibitors ? All of them give me dreadful side effects. Lisinopril made my throat swell up. Enalapril gave me a rash or was it the other way round. It was over 15 years ago.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.