BPH - are we sure there are no other options?

Posted , 20 users are following.

Sorry if this has been posted before or offends anyone, just wanted to have a constructive discussion about it since I am curious and frustrated.

I have been dealing with BPH and LUTS for a while now and have recently been exploring all the pharma, homeopathic and surgical options available to make the situation better. One topic I read about recently dealt with the idea of prostate massage which seems to help, as described in a paper from Columbia University that I just read. I learned about such a procedure done by a professional and also a way to do it at home.

I'm frustrated with my prostate, not clear why it grows and causes me not to be able to empty my bladder, so I am researching all options. I am in my late 50s and don't want to take meds for the rest of my life, or have to carry a catheter with me or pay $$$ for surgery that seems to work mostly but not permanently.

Does anyone have any theraputic commentary on this approach to managing a growing prostate?

0 likes, 61 replies

61 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Everything currently available has been said on this forum many times over. The commentators here know more than the professionals and if a sure permanent solution comes about you will learn about it here. Stay tuned.

• Posted

I'm really happy to have found this forum website. Until now, I was limited to reading material from medical providers plus good whitepapers from researchers, not from real people.

Are most of you in the UK?

• Posted

I agree the views expressed on this forum are both helpful and interesting.To answer your final sentence : No. I am in the UK but many of the comments on here mention insurance or expressed in $ so I assume the writers are in the USA,

A point I have not seen expressed is why not pay yourself for the treatment if your insurance will not reimburse or if it is nor available in the UK under NHS? It is generally much cheaper than buying a car, or often less than a foreign holiday. What matters most to you??

Last year I went to Poland for my PAE. The treatment cost around £2500 and our travelling/other costs around £1000. I reckon that money was better spent than on other choices

• Posted

It's a split between the UK and the USA.

We don't hear much about artificial organs and whether they last long , but someone should be working on perfecting an artificial prostate system since none of the procedures are perfect.

• Posted

Eventually medication and/or surgery catches up with all BPH sufferers, unless you want to self cath which appears to be almost exclusive to the States.

• Posted

In the UK the only ones I knew who used catheters did it as a short term measure while waiting for surgery. The American Forumites do it long term because they for various reasons want to keep their prostates.

• Posted

I'm hoping to avoid self catheterization if possible. I remember when my urologist had me self-inject Testosterone a few years ago. The first time he had me do it in his office with a nurse, I almost fainted as the needle came close to my leg! After that, it became pretty easy but i still didn't like doing it.

• Posted

What about ITind? iTind is an innovative treatment that can provide lasting relief from the urinary problems caused by benign prostatic enlargement (BPH).

I had good results from a PAE and i am hoping that this ITind procedure comes to the US and is accepted, as i sounds non invasive and has had good results from what propaganda I have read.

Steve

• Posted

See? Another therapy that I had never heard of! And, I asked my urologist why there was no "stent" type of solution for BPH that simply forced the urethra open. I wonder how the impact of ITind lasts for very long since it seems that the prostate would just return to normal (restricted) status after a period of time.

• Posted

It is said to be long lasting- I will wait a few years and see what the data says.

They are doing it in the US on the east coast. I am going to ask my Uro about it when i go in for a visit in Feb.

Funny, I told my Uro that I have had good outcome with the PAE and he said yah but are you retaining - you must come in and we need to measure. haha he was not so worried about it before.

• Posted

To All on Site!!!

I was trying to amend a typo on my earlier post and couldn’t find a button. Can anyone help?

Also Michael Finasteride is a 5ARI!!

This is a very good site for men experiencing BPH and it emphasizes all our frustrations. They don’t know why or the best way to manage it and no effort is being made to correct this. Once governments did or paid for a lot of research into medicine. Now they’ve left it all to the private sector. If there’s a way for pharmaceutical companies, insurers or surgeons to make or save money there’s data collection or research if not none.

My prostate size was listed on ultrasounds and this came out to be pretty right when they were able to just weigh it. This site has cases where DRE estimates turned out to be very wrong. 5ARIs are supposed to reduce prostate size by 20% by stopping the conversion of testosterone to its more powerful form that prevents the natural loss of cell process. As more cells are then formed in that natural process the gland just grows, supposedly. My BPH went from 1990, 5ARIs 2013/14, no size reduction and PCa 2015.

Cancer doubt over BPH drug treatments have supposedly been proven wrong but not convincingly enough for me. Just as prostate biopsies have been proven not to spread cancer by survival rates for pancreatic biopsies???

BPH and PCa are our greatest loss of life and quality of life but so little is being done by governments to promote any knowledge about it where so much doubt exists. Perusal of internet sources finds a magnitude of “we don’t knows” or we don’t fully understands” where some positivity is essential. We need to get them off their xxxxs in this.

BarrieH

• Posted

Someone on the forum had the iTind with good results. His name might be BobbyT. I did it with one of the trials

• Posted

Hi Michael,

unfortunately while we search for a safe cheap and easy option keep n mind meanwhile our bladder and kidneys are undergoing ongoing and worsening damage from urine blockage!

In my case ( an enlarged median lobe growing upwards against my bladder blocking the bladder neck valve) after much searching trying to avoid surgery and drugs I found on this excellent forum options and I chose with no regrets although costly -FLA with(Dr K in Houston-excellent!) no pain, no known side affects, easy and 100% successful so now life is much better but my bladder had already previous to FLA been damaged, I am now approx 13 months post FLA and still trying to retrain my bladder so hopefully I can regain control of my need to take a pee less often- all the best with your searching.Ps depending on your type of blockage be very careful if you end up choosing turp!!!

• Posted

Before you know it someone will invent an artificial prostate to be implanted. Will probably last as long as some of the procedures, perhaps longer.

• Posted

What would a donor who is still alive replace it with?

• Posted

Would a prostate harvested from another old person be what you want?

• Posted

Obviously not, sadly many young people die.

If you want my prostate you can have it as I'm leaving my body to medical research.

• Posted

I have not heard of any prostate transplants. Has anyone?

• Posted

Honestly, unless you are making babies it seems like the prostate is unnecessary so a transplant doesn't make sense for all men. Installing a tube/hose/pipe from the bladder to the urethra seems logical. The main issue in doing this from what I've heard is that removing the prostate somehow negatively impacts bladder control either via nerves or something else. Otherwise, if there were no issues, it seems like prostatectomy would be something we'd all have done!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.