BPH + Colonoscopy prep

Posted , 11 users are following.

I am 71, have BPH and at night go to the bathroom every 1.5 to 2hrs. My doctor wants me to have my first colonoscopy, but the prep involves drinking a large amount of liquid plus other prep solutions. Has anyone here with BPH gone through this and how did it turn out? I am particularly concerned about the 64oz of liquid required and some of this flowing into the bladder, and the sodium in the liquid swelling the prostate tissue and increasing the difficulty of passing urine. 

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Shouldn't be a problem, you'll just have to go more frequently. Most of it will come out the other end!

• Posted

You have BPH and he wants you to have a colonoscopy, why ?

• Posted

Derek,

Colonoscopy is unrelated to my BPH symptoms. I got what I thought was food poisoning in March, then I  have since developed a bit of anemia and doc wants to look in the colon to see what might be going on. Just did a gastroendoscopy and they couldn't find any ulcers or bleeding in my stomach. My concern with the colonoscopy prep is that you have to drink 64oz of fluids during the prep and I wouldn't want any issues with my bladder. In a previous comment here Lee said "most of it will come out the other end." Most of these prep solutions contain sodium and electrolytes and that can cause tissue swelling and that might make it difficult to urinate - already have that issue with the BPH. 

Tom

• Posted

I don't think there will be a problem with liquid flowing into your bladder as it is mostly absorbed into your colon to give it a good clear out. I had the laxatives three times for barium  enema procedures with an enlarged prostate and then for a colonoscopy and it did not affect it. What did happen though was said to be very unusual. I was watching the colonoscopy procedure on the screen with little sedation and quite alert. I suddenly noticed that my BP and heart rate were rapidly dropping. BP to 40/29 and heart rate 30 bpm. I think are they going to do something about this? With an oxygen mask on it was difficult to speak. They suddenly panicked :-)

Discharge notes say:  

“Gellofusion was administered and .1ml of atropine given.  Anaesthetist was called who then administered 1L of Hartman’s solution, an extra 3 mls of atropine and 20 mg of Boscopon . 

Patient much improved and monitored in his room for rest of day”

In an NHS hospital I would have been on a trolley in the corridor. Heart rate went up in the room  and by mid-afternoon after being on a drip and having tea and toast and lots of water my BP was 123/67 which made them happy. The reason the probe stimulated nerves in my colon or vagus nerve during the procedure. I certainly did not feel that pleasure. I live three streets away from the hospital and felt

well enough to walk home but next day when walking up a slope realised that I was back in atrial fibrillation after over a year in NSR after a previous cardioversion. My vagus nerve is evidently very sensitive as after having again been in NSR for over a year I had a DRE that also stimulated my vagus nerve putting me back into AF now permanent AF for the past three years.

• Posted

The prep liquids clean out the colon.  When it is cleaned out, it will take some pressure off the prostate, and you will probably urinate a little easier.  Can you spread the liquids out in time ?  Does sodium cause the prostate to swell ?  This is the first time I have heard it.

Thomas

• Posted

I was told I would not need colonoscopy after I turn 70. Hank
    • Posted

In the UK we now have a National screening programme for those between 55 and 75 where you can send a stool sample off to be tested for blood every two years. Over 75 and you no longer get a sampling kit unless you request it. We do as our families have a history of colon cancer.

• Posted

You were told right if you had one within the last 10 years.
  • Posted

Had several colonoscopys over the years. Don’t worry. Just do it 😁

• Posted

I find that due to my prostate issues, the more full the bladder the more likely I will have retention. I now have learned to self-catheterise, which is a reassurance for when I have difficulty urinating. Maybe you should forewarn them at the colonoscopy centre and have them put a catheter in afterwards until you have emptied out sufficiently.
    • Posted

He will be quite dehydrated after the procedure and the first liquids he drinks will be absorbed by his body

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.