BPH + Colonoscopy prep

Posted , 11 users are following.

I am 71, have BPH and at night go to the bathroom every 1.5 to 2hrs. My doctor wants me to have my first colonoscopy, but the prep involves drinking a large amount of liquid plus other prep solutions. Has anyone here with BPH gone through this and how did it turn out? I am particularly concerned about the 64oz of liquid required and some of this flowing into the bladder, and the sodium in the liquid swelling the prostate tissue and increasing the difficulty of passing urine. 

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Tom

I am 72, have BPH, at night go every 1.5 hrs!  I have just had a colonoscopy, drinking large amounts of water ...

I had no problem with this. I would hope you have no trouble too.

Best of luck with colonoscopy result too.  I was lucky enough for it to be clear, which gives confidence in that area!

Best

Mike

• Posted

Mike,

Thank you for the encouraging message. Did you have any issues with the prep regimen?

Tom

• Posted

Hi Tom

No, actually it went ok, better than I expected.   The stuff they gave me was picolax, but I gather there are a few different ones.

Mike

• Posted

You can now have a virtual colonoscopy done as a CT scan. You still need to take the prep laxative and they of course cannot take any biopsies.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.