BPH Good days and bad days.

Posted , 17 users are following.

I am 53 years old.  I take no medication, although Docs say I should.  

Somedays I flow reasonably well, other days it is frequent and difficult.  If this BPH is a mechanical problem due to enlarged prostate then why would I have good days? I mean if my urethra is blocked or partially blocked , why wouldn't  it give me trouble 100% of the time? 

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It is common wisdom that flow is slower first thing, prostate seems to swell a little overnight, and also slower when the bowel is full.  Might that seem to offer at least some empirical explanation of the fluctuations, think about those things for a few days and see if there seems an explanation from those. 
  • Posted

I have similar problems with my Prostate swelling up and blocking my Urethra, then I am unable to self catheterize and then have to have a full time catheter put in. This is normally followed by catheter blocking and bypassing the catheter.  Now I am waiting for my prostate to be removed as I now have Prostatitis as well, which causes urine infections.
    • Posted

before you have your prostate removed, please get a second opinion!  You did not mention what is your age, to some people, having intact prostate is critically important. Only a good urologist can give you a complete assessment.
    • Posted

This may be academic: but prostatitis IS a urinary infection.  My GP told me that urinary infections are much more common in women than men due to a female's shorter urethra.  He said that when a man gets a urinary infection it almost always centers in the prostate.  He told me I had prostatitis - didn't really go into the cause but seemed to think that antibiotics would solve my whole problem.  I had complained to him for months about difficulty urinating. I guess I made a mistake by telling him that I DO drink a lot of black coffee and he apparently focused on that   He gave me Sulfameth for two weeks and when the infection was still there, tried Cipro for 10 days. That apparently got rid of the UTI; I decided it had because of the color and smell of the urine looked better.  I also felt better but was still having overflow incontinence, and of course it didn't fix my BPH.  My GP finally referred my to a Urologist and while waiting I began CIC & took right to it.  My creatine level had spiked as did my prostate cancer indicator (I forget what they call that blood indicator).  Those spikes all started heading down with CIC. 

• Posted

Keith & Dan,  Thanks for comments and agree that Urinary infections are from Prostate & Prostatitis. Just had a bad 48 hours Catheter blocked with blood clots and that is a week after its insertion so don't think it is trauma but something else and my Apixaban blood thinners do not help. Dr at house at 20.00 hours and does flush out, sends for District Nurse who comes at Midnight and removes Catheter and can't get another back in as Prostate is huge ( One of the largest she has come across now at 01.15 waiting for Dr to arrange for me to go to hospital. All this has gone from 15.00 this afternoon. If Prostate was gone, they could get Catheter in, Prostatitis would be gone, Urine infections from Prostate gone as well, what have I got to lose as have E/D and Incontinence now from last TURP. Cancer would be gone as well, with no further Biopsies and Sepsis again.  This is my reasoning what have I to lose ?.  Also waiting for new knee which is at risk if I have a urine infection.

David

• Posted

"This may be academic: but prostatitis IS a urinary infection."  With due respect, keith42667, prostatitis is an inflammation of the prostate.  Sometimes prostatitis is due to infection (bacterial), and sometimes it's not (non-bacterial). Pathogenic microbes cause infectious diseases.

• Posted

Alan, You have nailed it exactly ,plus of course the infection is trapped in and hard to get to with A/B's.

• Posted

For me, it depends on my diet. If I go without caffeine, alcohol, spicy, salty I urinate consistently. 
  • Posted

I had same issue. Then it got worse. Tryed meds, didn't do a thing. Then at age 53 it got worse. When it got to the point of getting up every hour to hour and a half at night to pee I said that's enough. It gradually gets to the point your not emptying your bladder. Just voiding enough to stop it from feeling like you have to o pee. When you lay back down, you get the feeling back. The retension is stretching your bladder.

• Posted

In my humble opinion, you could have bladder problem, or acute Prostatitis. I am not a doctor, but used to suffer your problem. You should find a good urologist to check out.

since I had urolift, I do not have these problems, thank God! I am not saying you should have urolift done, that would be your urologist opinion. Hope this help.

• Posted

Great question. I've been struggling with this for several years.  I take BPH medicine (alpha blocker) and it still is hit or miss with good and bad nights. What you eat and drink can also add or reduce the blockage. I am now looking at surgical and more invasive alternatives since my 2 PAE's in the last year have not helped to much. I think that they have bought me some time to investigate but inevitably all roads lead to active procedures to unblock the urethra. I'm checking out FLA, TUMT, Holep and Rezum. All have good and bad points.Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Mike,

You mention 2 Pae's, Were you in retention? Im just asking because i had the Pae in September. Im doing pretty good.

• Posted

Mike, I am just curious as to your opinion on FLA what is the bad points you feel this this procedure has? I know it is out of pocket but other than that what is your negitives?

Thaks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.