BPH Good days and bad days.

Posted , 17 users are following.

I am 53 years old.  I take no medication, although Docs say I should.  

Somedays I flow reasonably well, other days it is frequent and difficult.  If this BPH is a mechanical problem due to enlarged prostate then why would I have good days? I mean if my urethra is blocked or partially blocked , why wouldn't  it give me trouble 100% of the time? 

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Whether the rectum/low bowel is full or empty can cause a significant variation in your ability to pee.  They run  right next to each other, so a solid stool can impact the urethra.

Also, I find that even though i stop my intake of liquids by 6:30 or 7 most nights, and get to bed around 11:00 or 11:30, I produce between 1000 and 1300 cc of urine between bedtime and 8 am.  Then, in the hours before noon, I produce very little, maybe 300 cc at most, even though I have a cup of coffee, a large glass of water, and cereal and lots of fruit with milk.

• Posted

Sounds like your pituitary gland ​is mucking about !
    • Posted

Maybe ADH has a very slow build-up and build-down time generally ... or, your pituitary gland ​is wired up in reverse polarity (joking...)
    • Posted

Do you have the urge to pee when you get out of bed?  I also try to stop liquid intake about 3-4 hrs prior to sleep time.  Usually don't drink coffee after @7:00 P.M.  But when I get up A.M. I don't get much of an urge at all ( I'm still using the urge feeling as an "alarm" when I know its time to cath as to keep bladder at least less than 400cc.  Also use the clock.  I get definite urges frequently when bladder is fillng up but thank God no incontinence.  I was probably using my internal spincter a lot when my bladder next began leaking from being so full.  So its probably pretty strong or worn out; I hope the former.  Anyway, I wasn't getting those urges at all right before I started self-cathing.  Now if the urges are mild enough they will go away so I wait awhile ).  I usually have to cath before bed & then again after about 4 hours but then I can sleep a long time.  I don't know if I could do this if I had a job. I suspect I could; I'd adjust.  But for someone in my situation I think watching/waiting makes a lot of sense.  

• Posted

I get up two or three times during the night.  I may be awakened 1.5 hours or 2 hours after going to bed, and measuring 250-300 cc.  If I'm fortunate to sleep three hours, it could even be 400 cc.   By morning, the rate of urine production has fallen off to 50-75 cc per hour.  I get up, shower, put on the condom catheter and collection bag.  I can go from 8 until 12 noon, and only have 200-250 cc in the bag, even though my coffee, water and other liquid intake at breakfast is at least 500 cc.

• Posted

Bob, where should you start? Well, what size is your prostate? What is your blood PSA score? Any doctor can do a PSA blood test. Do you have any suspicious lesion areas of the gland? Insurance or better yet, Medicare when you are old enough, will pay for an MRI so get a 3T MRI with a pelvic coil that just lays over your lap. This is very easy and it will show a trained doctor and better you what is really inside your body that could be causing this. Then have it read by an Interventional Radiologist who is specialized in Prostate work like Dr. Karamanian in Houston and he will not charge you to review your MRI. He can see any restricted area of the sphincter and or urethra and why your flow may be restricted. Also you should have your bladder function tested and see if you have residual urine in your bladder after peeing. This can be done with an MRI or better yet a ultra sound. Neither are invasive procedures. you are young, and based on the testing if you have a prostate issue you need a procedure that will absolutely not give you any sexual side effects. I would recommend researching the process of Focal Laser Ablation. Urologist will not support this procedure as they cannot do this procedure. It is FDA approved and has been showing really good results. It is very much worth your investigation since you have not fallen into the trap of drugs yet. I am 66 and had BPH for 9 years but refused to take the drugs because of the sexual side effects. The question you ask is why is the problem  intermittent, and there are many reasons this could be. It may be Prostatitis, or inflammation that is bad from day to day. Your advantage is that you have not taken the pills yet so now is the time to dig in and do your research. There are many offerings and you need to research the components and the make up and functions of them in the gland. You can then logically realize what each of these possible solutions do to the prostate and how to get results without sexual side effects. You are actually in a good space as you now should study and do your diligence for answers. Do not let anyone talk you into anything. Learn and make an educated logical decision on your situation not based on what someone else did or what is cheapest or what seems like the path of least resistance.  You will use all this information and logic when the time is right. Get busy. Ask for help. Educate your self.
    • Posted

You are absolutely right with your approach. Dr. K. In Houston is excellent as is his team and FLA is proven to be a good solution to avoid sexual side effects. I saw him as well during my research. Having GL, Rezum can leave you without side effects as well. None of us in this forum know why and what. We are men who go through this and live our own experiences and any surgical outcome, being exactly the same, may give different results on different men. Most importantly it is to get active and do the due diligence and then find a decision.
  • Posted

Hi, I would go and see a urologist and do the tests and listen to his plan. I recently did a GL PVP and things got better. Better flow and no retrograde ejaculation. Still need to go up once at night and frequency is better but the volume remains reduced. In any case, I am happy I had the procedure. You need to find a doctor with whom you somehow connect and have confidence and trust that he will look out for you. With age things of BPH are not getting better. It’s better to act than to react.
  • Posted

You should listen to your doctor and try out some drugs. If you can tolerate them, you can get by for a long while. When they fail to work, you will have to look for other options. Why suffer unnecessary ? Also, it's not good for your bladder and kidneys. Hank

• Posted

While constipation can definitely impact flow, the kind of variability you describe strongly suggests that at least a significant part of your problem is bladder related. The prostate doesn't change in size over hours or days - its constant. So if you range from pretty much OK to having real issues day by day, something other than your prostate is a major contributor. 

Sorry to refute what some people are saying but...PSA is not a diagnostic tool for BPH - its of no value for that at all. What you need first, is a scope to gauge the opening in your urethra and a urodynamics test to see how well your bladder is functioning. Then, and only then, can a diagnosis be made and a course of treatment recommended. DO NOT investigate or consider ANY procedure until you have had both of those tests done. Many docs will perform them without any real knowledge or evidence that they'll help. If yours is one of them, find another Urologist. 

Drugs don't have a great track record of success and many get side effects from them, but if it was me, I wouldn't be taking anything without diagnostics that indicated they might help.

• Posted

I again agree with what you say. Especially about the drugs as a bandaid for the condition and about PSA. I was first scared about cancer. That is the fear that my urologist was selling. Yes they wanted to do the blind 12 needle biopsy. I did not want that and said no but I wanted to know if I had cancer. I chose to have the MRI done as I felt it would accomplish a lot with one non invasive  quick procedure. This was a diagnostic choice direction that made sense to me before we get carried away with a direction of treatment. Here is what I wanted to learn.

One, do I have cancer lesions that need a biopsy and can it be seen?  3T MRIs are very accurate to one mm on this. If I have cancer we change direction quickly as urination is now secondary. 

Two, what is the density of the prostate, this is a important fact in dealing with a potential cancer diagnosis and the MRI provides the gland density numbers.

Three, what size is my prostate? I did not realize I had a tennis ball in me until the thing was measured in the MRI. My Urologist was quick to give me the DRE but with that he only said it felt soft and supple not that large. 

Four, Is there a blockage location in the urethra or not? I could definitely see on the MRI the area that was pinched off from the tissue inside my gland pushing out and I could see the median lobe pushing up into the bladder. Bladder conditions are likely with those two facts of my MRI and I need them fixed regardless of the bladder I could not ignore them. CIC was a possible short term answer if I needed it but realize it was going to be difficult to get anything UP that pipe. 

Five, is there residual urine in my  bladder after I void. Yes the MRI showed the volume and there was a little the but with a blockage down line in the prostate that made sense at that time. I knew I was a candidate for bladder weakness and issues but I was not going to fix bladder issues with a blocked pipe and a hill pushing up into my bladder causing a residual valley of urine. I needed to know that first and I needed to see the prove of it. 

With the proper 3 T MRI and the right doctor reviewing it, I learned where I was and what I need to do next. Then I could evaluate and compare the options and I could know the collateral damage that each option might present to me. I am not ready to settle and accept certain side effects. Drugs being one of them.

BPH happens over time and slowly. Nine years for me. It causes a chain reaction. Based on where you are in that chain reaction determines what you treat and in what order. Most of the BPH cases do not fall into a single condition or a single treatment. Now add prostatitis to the mix and this is condition that some of us may always deal with one way or another. By the way, a properly trained expert can see the prostatitis condition in the gland on the 3TMRI also. If only the doctors would slow down and work as hard on the proper diagnosis as they do pushing us toward treatments. We could have better result with some collaboration among the practitioners 

Blood PSA was just to get a bench mark number to watch and cancer is a scary thing. It is an indicator only. The urologist was happy to do it and was so excited to offer the biopsy after he called the number "very high" He did not know how big my prostate was and with a prostate the size I had, a 4.5 PSA was a small number. With my PSA number the Urologist was eager to do the 12 needle biopsy through my rectum. I said NO and ask if he would help me get an MRI. He said NO and that it was not needed. I am sure he did not know how to even read one properly.

The MRI made total sense and nothing went up my rectum or urethra at this time. That could come once I knew what I was dealing with so let's just see what we are dealing with then we can start all these other tests. 

The key was finding someone who really knew what they were doing and would work with me to get some direction. It's not easy and I am sure a lot of men can't find anyone and are left to the will of the urologist. Hopefully they will get a unique one that is open minded and willing to work with a specialized Interventional Radiologist. That would be best for the patient. But I don't really think that is likely. Too much ego and need the  money more than the concern for the patient.

Bobcat is a  very young victim of this and he has a lot of options. He need to decide how best to find out what he is dealing with then how to do it and where to go. He has time to do it but that does not mean to wait and watch. He need to have someone show him the situation not just push him to a treatment. 

• Posted

>Blood PSA was just to get a bench mark number to watch and cancer is a scary thing. It is an indicator only.>>

The PSA level can be an indicator of a couple of other things can it not?  I was under the impression that my "spike" in my PSA level as well as my creatine level were actually caused by my chronic urinary retention as well as most likely causing the Prostatitis.  BTW- the reason I did the blood tests was due to a 4 week SVR (sustained viral response) check during hep c treatment (which was undetected biggrin incidentally.  The Urologist didn't order it but they were the ones that told me the two anomalies were "going in the right direction now" and they attributed that to my self-cathing. They were able to look at these blood tests because they were linked with my GP I guess. Haven't had that PSA test re-evaluated in the last few months but hearing it was dropping was enough to give me peace of mind for now.  I have another appointment in January with the Urologist.

• Posted

Old buzzard, You are correct about PSA for BPH and at best PSA is a crude flag of indication on PCa. I assume since you are advising not to mess with PSA that this person knows he does not have any risk of cancer lesions in his prostate at this time?  

With that said he can move on to follow your advice on bladder issue. But I hope he knows and has eliminated the PCa issue as that can kill him and the BPH or Bladder issues will not kill him. They may make him wish he were dead but they will not kill him.

I think it is important to point out that these are three completely different condition possibilities. One, is cancer, one is prostate with BPH, an one being bladder, all three need to be researched. As the can relate to one another it gets difficult especially when most the doctors want a fast buck more than a correct complete diagnosis. Unfortunately if he deals exclusively with a Urologist the will probably follow the money as it only applies to the limited things they want to supply and they will not do the other things that could provide his options. Trust for a medical professional is now limited in todays society and should absolutely be earn before given. The worst of the bunch is the Urological group. We are considered old and we should just except their words and move on quietly. To each his own as it is your life to live but not me. Research and logic is the key. My advice was do it all and do it complete. Use logic. The answers are there though not easy sometimes to find. Good luck. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.