BPH - natural treatments vs TURP, open surgery

Posted , 14 users are following.

I'm 59 with an enlarged prostate (120 cc), which is 4x normal size for my age. I had an MRI-fusion guided biopsy 18 mos. ago that showed no cancer. Another 3T-MP MRI a year later showed nothing of suspicion. However, following my Bx in 2015 my PSA has shot up (10) and bounced all over between 5 and 7.  Before the Bx, my PSA was between 3.5 and 4.5. I have tried every natural supplement out there, including DIM, IC3, progesterone cream, beta sitosterol, pygeum, maca, etc. Things have gotten worse since the Bx. My prostate might be too big for TURP, TUIP, but I might be a candidate for GreenLight, and open prostatectomy is an option. Anyone have any success with alternative medicine or is surgery 100% a given for a man in my situation? PS - I bled for weeks after the biopsy and my symptoms have only worsened. I won't go thru that again.

0 likes, 98 replies

98 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Have you considered PAE? It has a high success rate. Very few side effects. Check it out.
    • Posted

Thanks Craig.

Yes, I did a little digging today per your suggestion.  It does sound very promising. I hope it catches on at major urology centers (like Mayo or Johns Hopkins) - in that case, the insurance companies will cover it and there will be much more data collected to compare it to TURP and other procedures.

And, the procedure does not sound that daunting (unlike TURP, which sounds very intimidating).

• Posted

Hi Michael,

PAE is performed by interventional radiologists, not uro docs, so you probably won't see it done in urology centers, but in a vascular disease treatment center. It is currently sometimes covered by insurance, sort of hit and miss. There are several studies already reporting on its effectiveness. There are long discussions in this forum with many, many posts from men who have had the procedure. I am scheduled for one on March 27th with Dr Bagla in VA who has done over 400 of these. Dr Pisco in Portugal has done over 1000.

• Posted

Further to my coment on HoLEP. Assuming you are in the USA this procedure is covered by Medicare. I don't  think PAE is coverded.

• Posted

Yes, I'm in the US.  Also, my insurance is good so I think I will be financially safe w/ any procedure I opt for.  PAE could be too new for insurers to cover.  From the little I've read (today) it seems minimally invasive - much less so than TUIP or TURP.

• Posted

There have been reports on this forum from some men that their insurance covered PAE.
    • Posted

Mecidare paid for most of mine.  $2400 out of pocket.
    • Posted

Thanks, that's reasonable. Likely less than out of pocket for TURP or prostatectomy.

• Posted

Those who have problems with insurance coverage should look into "Concierge Medical" as a possible alternative. It may not be feasible for everyone but better than $2400 out of pocket.

• Posted

Hi Lester,

Are you talking about the field of "concierge medicine"? As I undertand it, that's a service that mostly primary physicians offer where you pay the primary extra (beyond a normal fee and/or your insurance converage) for "perks" such as faster appointments, etc. 

So unless I'm missing something, joining a concierge practice will cost you more money, not less.

-- Jim

• Posted

Instead of paying an insurance premium you buy an annual contract from participating physicians which will entitle you to most medical exams and procedures. There are of course exclusions which have to be discussed before entering into it. Whether it costs more or less is negotiable and may be worth looking into for those whose insurance will not cover certain procedures. It is not for everyone and is not a substitute for regular insurance.
    • Posted

Lester,

Thanks for the heads up. After a little reseach, turns out there are three kinds of concierge plans. One is what you describe where certain services are covered, and the other is what I'm familiar with where you pay a premium for "perk" services such as same day appointments, but all actual services are additional. And then there's a hybrid. That said, I doubt any of the plans would cover something as specialized as PAE.

Jim

• Posted

Jim, just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate your investigations and posts. Thank you!
    • Posted

Rich, Your welcome! I've learned a lot here and happy to help out with any knowledge I have.

• Posted

Rx meds do very little and may cause side effects. Herbal meds are a scam and do nothing. Green Light is as bad as TURP, bloody for months. Do your research for the various procedures and get a second or even third opinion before you decide which is best for you. Remember that what has worked best for someone else may not be best for you. Everyone is different. Good luck.
    • Posted

sad

Unfortunately, I think you are right, Lester.  I've tossed more than a few thousand $ at "natural cures".  Have barely seen any improvement after 2-3 years.

Rx meds (Flomax, Proscar) have some brutal side effects.  I tried Proscar years ago.  But only for a short time.  Flomax is still a drug I've come to depend on. 

I bled for weeks from the biopsy. I dread having a TURP or any procedure thru the urethra. 

Thank you.

• Posted

HOLEP is done through the urethra. I'm the same age as you and my prostate is about the same size as yours. I was dead set on having HOLEP and it still is my second choice. Recevery time is reasonably short, no bleeding, low chance of ED. Biggest thing is retrograde ejaculation is just about guaranteed. I'm planning on having FLA done. 

• Posted

Is FLA different than PAE?

I have not heard of either until this thread.  sad

I thought my only option was open prostatectomy to get life-changing results - and I figured it would buy me many years (that is, TURP might buy you 5-10 years but a partial prostatectomy may not have to be repeated).  I could be wrong about this.

RE sounds like a bad side effect.  Am I over thinking this, but if you have at some point a prostate infection develop and suffer from RE, won't that then lead to a bladder + urinary tract infection if you were to ejaculate?

These prostate problems are complicated on so many levels. sad

• Posted

FLA and PAE are two different animals, but both are definitely worth considering.

PAE (Prostatic Artery Embolization) is less invasive, inserting microbeads into arteries feeding prostate to partially block the blood flow and cause the prostate to shrink.

FLA (Focal laser ablation uses) highly targeted heat to destroy prostate tissue that is impinging on the urethra.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.