Brachytherapy v Radiotherapy

Posted , 10 users are following.

Please excuse my ignorance but I would really appreciate your views on why some people choose one of these options over the other? 

Why would someone for example choose 35 days of radiotherapy over seed implants? Is it to do with the type of PC ( Gleason etc... ) or the actual position of the cancer within the prostate? Or something else?

thankyou

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It's to do with many factors. PSA must be low and the tumour localised (t1 or t2). brachy is not offered at every centre. You have to have a special HDR theatre with trained staff and an anaesthetist and theatre nurses. It is also an invasive procedure that carries it's own risks, whereas external RT is non invasive.
    • Posted

Thanks for that leeniepee. Yes that makes sense. I think in the past two months I've favoured RP RT and Brachy at various times! At Least there are options but trying to decide is so difficult.
  • Posted

Thats an interesting question and I am faced with same choice also.

It depends on what is more inconvient for you really at the end of the day.  If you want to go to hospital everyday, all be it for a short period, for 30 odd days then thats up to you, but if you prefer to have an opp like you did when you had the biopsy then that is fine too.

I am torn at the moment myself, as when I had the biopsy I had complications and ended up being in hospital for a week.  But I dont want to go to hospital everyday for a month either.  But I will have to decide in the end and this is your choice too sailor sam,

Good luck whatever one you choose.

• Posted

Thanks Personal20. Good luck to you too. Would like to hear what your decision was when the time comes.
  • Posted

I went the RT route as suggested by the Muli Dicipline Team, as my staging was T3b (spread into contractile vacuole)
    • Posted

1st biopsy with 6 cores, 2nd saturation biopsy with 20 cores. 2nd biopsy caused severe infection, which took some time to clear. Took Ofloxacin, Cefaloxin, and Trimethoprim before suitable antibiotic prescribed.
    • Posted

Hi Supercargo, I guess given those particular circumstances, I would do the same as I believe you can still have RT if needed following RP but not viceverse. 

Best wishes

• Posted

Same with my hubby,he had 1st biopsy took 12cores,next day severe infection,Septacemia ,took quite a while to get over,he was then told 3 out of the 12cores were cancerous (localised) gleeson7, he also opted for RT/hormone treatment.  He sailed through the RT,finished about 2weeks ago,but he's had another hormone injection last week,and this time he's going through hell,with hot sweats,particularly at night.

But all in all he's not doing to bad at all now.  But by god I thought I'd lost him with the Septacemia in the beginning .

• Posted

actualy you can do both ways, but it depends on if the cancer has spread outside of the prostate gland. the most commonly seen way (if both are done) is RP with EBRT after to make sure theres nothing left behind, but technically theres no reason not to do EBRT then surgery if it didnt work - this is quite often done for other cancers. the problem is that with prostate cancer if it come back it is most often spread outside of the prostate gland when it is discovered, so there isnt much point in doing a prostatectomy.
  • Posted

Sam Sam...you seriously need to get yourself involved in what's about to happen to you... Yes your G score is the driving factor...never take the seemingly easy path...make your own decisions...talk to those quallified ti give you answers...
    • Posted

Hi Kombi,

thanks for your reply. Believe me I am seriously involved in what's about to happen. This for me is the fact-finding stage where I want to hear about other peope's experiences, the choices they made, and what informed them.

As for the easy path? Well I don't know if there is one. In this fact-finding stage it appears that everyone has their own unique set of circumstances which will ulimately lead them to come to their own personal decision.But that once again is based on your knowledge of PC, tratments, and side-effects.

Talk to those qualified to give answers? well yes of course I have and will continue to do so. I'm a nurse, my wifes an ICU nurse and I can get professional opinions all day long but I know from eperience they are not always right. You only have to look at the number of people who have been over-treated because of an elevated PSA to see that

I was talking to a Consultant Urologist at work the other day and he said he wouldn't know what to do given my own particular circumstances.

So thank you for your concern, but as i said, at this stage it's about becoming more informed from all possible sources, in order to arrive at the most appropriate decision.

best wishes.

• Posted

Hi, 

I am a radiotherapy student, so i will say now I am not qualified but have seen alot of these cases and observed patient choice.

The benefit of brachy means the seeds are delivering radiation directly to the area without impacting your bowel. The implants are one treatment and disruption to life is small. Also RT can be given post the seeds if required.

If brachy seems to invasive ( which it is for some) RT is a great option with good success rates. I am sure you have been given all the information regarding side effects, everyone responds differently as im sure you are aware of.

Personally if i was you, i would get in touch with the RT dept and ask a qualified therapist to talk you through this at a slower pace than a consultant. It is a big decision and it has to fit in with your lifestyle needs.

I do not know if this will mean anything, but a male lecturer said he would have brachy as a first choice if given the option, (however we do not know all your diagnosis).

All the best with your choice

• Posted

Hi Sharon, thank you very much for that. It's really interesting and informative - I hadn't even considered that you could have RT if needed after brachy. Also about what your lecturer said.

I'm 52, 3 + 3 with last PSA 3.3 although it was 7 two years ago  when I had my first PSA test. A couple of weeks later it was down to between 1 and 2 up until 2 months ago. Biopsy showed 1 core out of 12. It's a small cluster contained with no spread according to an MRI 2 months ago.

anyway, thanks once again for your input.

best wishes

• Posted

Hello Sharon. We were told after brachy that the prostate had had the maximum dose of radiotherapy and no more could be done should it return, also prostate removal after brachy is difficult due to damage. We live in the hope that if it returns there will be a new treatment, I know Hifu and cryotherapy are being used more, so hoping they'll be more common practice eventually. 
  • Posted

Hello, my other half chose brachytherapy. He wasn't really offered prostate removal. Though I know if you have the prostate removed and the cancer returns then you can have radiotherapy, but if it returns after brachytherapy you cannot have more radiotherapy as prostate removal is difficult.

He chose brachytherapy as he has lots of bowel problems, brachy is milder on the bowels than radiotherapy. But more severe on the bladder, if you have any flow or bladder problems or had TURP then brachy is not recommended.

Apart from anything else my other half has a full time farm to run and he wouldn't have time for radiotherapy, it is hour and half to the hospital (one way) so would take too much of the day up.

Brachytherapy was done Jan this year.

• Posted

Thanks for sharing that alfred5. Can I ask if things returned to "normal" or were the side effects longer lasting?

best wishes

• Posted

Hello. We know of 3 people that have had brachytherapy with no side effects whatsoever. But not the same for my other half. He got an infection or prostatitis from the biopsy, not bad but had a dull ache in his prostate all the time. Had the biopsy in June. As psa was 3.7 Gleason of 6 they suggested leaving the cancer, but by Dec psa was 4.9 so decided on treatment. He had several lots of antibiotics between July after biopsy and Jan when he had brachy. First week after brachy was good, then he got the prostatitis back again but worse. Also suffered from radiation induced cystitis. Meaning severe burning when peeing, he said it was like peeing burning glass. Also had a lot of problems getting the flow to start. He had more antibiotics, tamsulosin twice a day and another tablet called mirabegron. Before treatment he rarely got up in the night to pee, by 6 weeks after treatment he was up anything from 3 times to 10 times. As he works from 7am until 10pm in the height of summer it was a struggle. The consultant said this was rare to suffer this badly.

Now 10 months on all side effects have near enough gone. The morning pee if he's gone all night, which he usually does, is hard to get started. Rest of the day is fine. He still can't drink caffeine, alcohol or eat spicy food as the burning returns.

As for ED there were certainly no problems before treatment, he is 57, but now everything still works but "it" has deflated slightly and it is more hard work to maintain. I think this is the most life changing difference, all the other side effects will eventually be forgotten, but that one is here to stay. Brachy is meant to be the least effect on ED too.

• Posted

Thank you so much for that very informative reply. It must have been really difficult for him (and you) but it sounds as though the worst is behind him now. It was also encouraging to hear that other people who had Brachy didn't experience side-effects at all.

all the best for the future

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.