Brachytherapy v Radiotherapy

Posted , 10 users are following.

Please excuse my ignorance but I would really appreciate your views on why some people choose one of these options over the other? 

Why would someone for example choose 35 days of radiotherapy over seed implants? Is it to do with the type of PC ( Gleason etc... ) or the actual position of the cancer within the prostate? Or something else?

thankyou

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello sam,im sorry im no expert on these matters,so i dont know the answer to your query.looking on the internet it seems brachytherapy is for cancer that is contained in the prostate,and other factors.

Mine had spread at the time it was diagnosed ,so ive never been offered this treatment.im very unhappy that men are not tested at say 60 for early signs of cancer,as mine was discovered after a routine blood test.it was shock,ithought i would be dead by now( diagnosed aug 2010)if you are affected i wish you all the best for your journey.

• Posted

Hello, live in Houston, Gleason. Score of 4+3=7....63 yrs old, had prostate removed and 13 lymph nodes removed in July. Psa 6.2 presently going thru 35 treatments of radiation. I was never offered Brach. Treatment but have to say the radiation is a breeze. Biggest hassle is having my colon empty and bladder full. Also what's curious is I had a positive margin. The pathologist said it was very small and in one spot close to the bottom of the prostate. Lymph nodes, semi vesicle and bladder neck were all clear....however I am still considered a T-3..so my message is radiation is not that much of a hastle....patrick
    • Posted

Thanks for that information Patrick. It's great to hear that you feel so positive about the treatment you have had. Best wishes for the future

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.